Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

I've worked with databases, so that's not news to me, but many members believe the comments they leave with rep points and direct messages they exchange are private. According to the "revised" ? TOS I just received they are NOT! I'd like to see a clarification of the issue one way or another.

Quote:
Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments
To me this quote implies all rep comments and DMs are being read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:37 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Being read by who? The only ones that have access to DMs are the administrators (Administrator, Markablue, and Yac), and I'd guess the webmaster who probably doesn't have any reason to read a DM.

The administrators have told us that they won't read DMs unless they suspect that spamming is going on.

As far as rep point comments go, all moderators have access to the reputation comments of each member but what moderator has the time to go reading all rep comments of thousands of members? The only time they might be looked at by a moderator is if they are reported and the moderator wants to present the situation to an administrator (senior moderator).

So no, all your DMs and rep points comments are not being read ...only if they are reported or if spamming is suspected.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
So no, all your DMs and rep points comments are not being read.
Then what do you suggest the quote above means?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Then what do you suggest the quote above means?
If somebody reports that you are sending harassing DMs or "insulting another member or a moderator" in a DM to another member, that's when the DM will be read by a senior moderator.

With only three administrators on this site who have the ability to read DMs, how do you suppose they can read all the DMs written in a day?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
With only three administrators on this site who have the ability to read DMs, how do you suppose they can read all the DMs written in a day?
I don't believe they physically CAN read all of them, but I find the thought of ANY of them being read quite disturbing and I'll venture to say I wouldn't be the only one who feels the same way. A "private" message implies it's a thought shared between the sender and the receiver. We're not talking mass mailing or spam here.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:58 PM

I feel the same way if that makes you feel any better. However, it's no longer called a "Private Message" it's a "Direct Message."

Again, a Direct Message will not be read unless it is reported or if spamming is suspected. You'll have to just "trust" or "have faith" of that statement. Sure, one of the three administrators CAN read your Direct Messages at any time but why would they? ...I'm sure they have better things to do.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:59 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Maybe you can email the person instead of DM.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I feel the same way if that makes you feel any better. However, it's no longer called a "Private Message" it's a "Direct Message."
You have a point... I was thinking about it as I was typing it.

Quote:
Again, a Direct Message will not be read unless it is reported or if spamming is suspected. You'll have to just "trust" or "have faith" of that statement. Sure, one of the three administrators CAN read your Direct Messages at any time but why would they? ...I'm sure they have better things to do.
It seems like a strange catch 22 to me. Unless you read it, you wouldn't know what's in it, would you?! And what would the basis for "reporting" people's DMs be...?!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Maybe you can email the person instead of DM.
You sure can, but that's not what we're talking about. Besides, you may want to contact somebody who doesn't accept e-mails, not to mention that even if they do, you still write on a forum's form again, not from your e-mail directly.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 PM

Let's say you get a nasty Direct Message. If you report it, a senior moderator "might" read several of the sender's DMs to make sure they are not sending nasty DM's to other members.

That's just one scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum