Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
Lakeman is absolutely right about the school culture being different from the Northeast. The worst part is, if you don't know the right questions to ask, you will not hear the answers that you are in need of.
Good luck to all of you in the search for a better way of life.
Peggy
PS Does anyone know where the rules are posted for the forum? I inquired about this, but did not get a response from the moderator. I am looking for specifics about posting, and how you earn a positive rep.
Here's a brief message from the moderator on the subject of reputation power.

//www.city-data.com/forum/21014-post3.html

Generally speaking, the reader can vote (the little scale symbol at the top right of the specific message) on the value and appropriateness of an individual message.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-14-2006 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 06:34 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
I don't really see what the deal is about having it. Over the weekend the ability to do it was abused on posts I made and another poster that I get along with really well. The particular poster that was haressing us was banned. But I really think it is nuts that a poster can come in and post red dots just because they don't like a certain poster. He even red dotted post about a trip I took to Raleigh when I was in the 7th grade back in 1964. Now that had to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen done. If you are going to red dot someone, at least give a reason why. I had notes that read "This is a *****that didn't plan for here retirement." And this would interest you all because?" I have been retired since I was 39 when I became disabled. And that is one of the better remarks. I just wish they would just do away with the dot system period. I think it hinders some people.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:37 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,254 times
Default Red Dots

So was it a moderator or a member who put the red squares to me for posting a personal message?
I have gone from one red square to two red squares. Is that improvement or a decline?
I just don't understand the system......

Old 06-14-2006, 07:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
So was it a moderator or a member who put the red squares to me for posting a personal message?
I have gone from one red square to two red squares. Is that improvement or a decline?
Hard to say. It could be forum members, moderators or both. The more postive or negative comments submitted, the more green or red. I believe each member can only vote once, so one could not keep leaving negatives or postives over and over for the same member.

As far as rules, the messages posted on the North Carolina Forum should be about some aspect of life in North Carolina. However, they should also not contain advertising, fundrasing or be about which religious, political or social doctrine is better than the other. Argumentative or harassing posts are not permitted and may be locked or deleted by the moderators as they see fit.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-14-2006 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:

The more red dots you have, the more you are in the negative so to speak. Then at 0, you would have a gray dot. The more green dots the higher the Rep. power. But I still say the dotting system shouldn't be placed in the hands of the posters until they have a chance to prove that they are responsible enough to handle it. And it may be childish, but it irks me to no end to get a red dot with something like I posted previously. I better hush I guess or I will lose the other 6 dots that I have like I lost one this weekend. I don't expect everyone to agree with what I have said and dot me every minutes. But good heavens I am here to help whatever way I can. Personal attacks on people because you don't like the way they talk, or they are a lot older than you are is not an excuse to call them names like a "nosey old woman", "a ***** that didn't have a retirement plan", " a *****" just because they know how to spell the word, "Please don't post on my thread you nosey old woman." Now does that sound like someone that is interested in what goes on in North Carolina before they move here? If you can't get along with 10 people on a message board, the best thing for this particular poster to do is to stay where he is. He is going to be miserable here not to mention the town he moves to. A member, well two members, probably gave you the red dots. I know one for sure did but it takes a certain numbe Rep. points to even earn a dot of any kind so to accumulate the two dots, it could have taken more than 2 members to do it. Don't get discourage.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 06-14-2006 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 PM

Peg, I gave you a green dot so now you only have one red one left. I can't do it again but maybe someone will come along and get rid of the other one. Now I was on one site that if you were so far in the hole so to speak, you could ask for a recommendation to get you back at least to zero. I don't know if they do it here or not but you might consider it.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:09 PM

Thanks Bethany,
That was very kind of you! I didn't know if the red dots would lead to me being banned.
I have really tried to adhere to rules. When the moderator locked a thread, I complied. It is hard sometimes, as this forum welcomes factual data, which Is what I bring to the table.
Thanks for the chatter and info about the dots!
Peggy

Old 06-14-2006, 08:12 PM

How do I rank someone?

Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,567 times
Bethany -

You seem to know a lot about this forum. How do you know what posts caused your negative, or positive rep points?

Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 PM

27 posts, read 138,116 times
yeah, im also curious as to how to "give dots". I tried figuring it out but couldn't seem to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum