Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:20 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,788,996 times

Advertisements

I've been having problems for a week or longer ( ). I will be writing my post and previewing my post and it will kick me partially out (like a server issue type kick). It's not like I have to re-log back in. All I have to do is green arrow back. And when I do green arrow back, one of three things typically occurs:

a) my comments are gone and I have to start all over
b) my comments are still there ready for me to try and post again or continue to make changes to my post (but sometimes I get kicked out 2-3 more times)
c) my comments are now posted on the thread

I think I had "C" happen last night and I ended up double posting because of this problem of getting kicked out while transacting and not knowing what took or didn't ! I'm getting quite frustrated to say the least .

I was even posting a comment with positive rep pts tonight, when I got kicked out as I typed submit. So I green arrowed back, typed submit again, got the comment that you can't give points twice, then went to the thread, only to see that the points didn't take ! It's very frustrating and I believe that CD probably needs more bandwidth on it's servers .

Whatssup ?? Or am I the only one experiencing this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,401 times
I've actually never had this happen to me, I've had it occasionally slow down on me a few times, but never do any of these things.

One thing you might want to try is cleaning your browser cache, cookies, and anything else in your Web browser and see if that helps any.

This probably won't have anything to do with it, but run a spyware scan, and maybe a Trojan or virus scan too. It probably isn't these things, but I've had weird things happen to me sometimes.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 PM

I have an idea! It will help more than me posting it here because sometimes it gets hard to understand what someone has written then actually trying to do it on the computer!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 PM

Talking Sorry youngster, but I'm tired and don't want to do a search right now

Can you recommend any good free spyware? I'm on dial up and of course, that could be a problem also . But CD is getting a lot more people and a lot more posting. Heck, I noticed earlier when I got kicked off my own thread, you and I were trying to post at the same time . Maybe you put a curse on me because I told you to step aside and let the expert take over and also not to call us folks OLD .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
I've actually never had this happen to me, I've had it occasionally slow down on me a few times, but never do any of these things.

One thing you might want to try is cleaning your browser cache, cookies, and anything else in your Web browser and see if that helps any.

This probably won't have anything to do with it, but run a spyware scan, and maybe a Trojan or virus scan too. It probably isn't these things, but I've had weird things happen to me sometimes.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
Can you recommend any good free spyware? I'm on dial up and of course, that could be a problem also . But CD is getting a lot more people and a lot more posting. Heck, I noticed earlier when I got kicked off my own thread, you and I were trying to post at the same time . Maybe you put a curse on me because I told you to step aside and let the expert take over and also not to call us folks OLD .
ROFL!

I didn't mean it that way! I'm sorry!

But house calls are always a plus! Heehee! lol!

I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal because it has a great detection rate from when I've used it. And it's free!

However the size isn't so great. It's about 4 megabytes. I think it's worth it though.

I don't know if I can post a link to it, I don't know if that breaks any rules. I hope not.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...=dl%26tag=top5

There are many others, I usually check Download.com and read the Editor reviews and the user reviews to make sure what I'm getting is good. I always make sure to read the negative first, and if it's anything on the lines of "contains spyware" forget it I just pass it by.

Here's a list of free spyware removers
Lavasoft Ad-Aware*
SpyBot Search & Destroy*(this one really hasn't found anything either)
Spyware Blaster(This doesn't actually remove spyware, it stops it from getting to your computer by blocking numerous by sites)*
Hijackthis(I only recommend this to VERY experienced users I don't even use this one scares me)
Windows Defends (I don't even think this works)
AVG Anti-Spyware(this is more of a Trojan remover)*

I put stars by the ones I have installed and use.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware is about 4 MB.
Spy-Bot is about 4.5 MB
Spyware Blaster 2.5 MB
AVG Anti-Spyware is HUGE almost 7 MB.

I don't know if you use products like Norton or not because they are suppose to have built-in spyware tools. If it's at all possible I would recommend a good anti-spyware with a good trojan hunter. Which would be on the lines of Ad-Aware and AVG Spyware Remover.

If you get one of these and need any tips I'll be more than happy to help! I have software for recording what I do on my computer, it would work much better than trying to write a step-by-step, unless I take screen shots. That could work too!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Clearing Browser Cache in Internet Explorer

I forgot I installed IE7 with my updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...learcache.mspx

Thank goodness Uncle Bill has me covered on that one! (Computer nerd joke )

In IE7 it's a bit more annoying since everything is moved around. Uncle Bill doesn't have me covered on this one though.

I'll post them as attachments as to not slow this down too much!

I named the files IE7s1 for screen 1, 2, 3, and 4.

In the first one in the upper right hand corner look for "Tools"
The second picture select the first option which says "Delete browsing history"
In the third screen you can select which ever option you want to, however it's quicker to select at the bottom "Delete all" or you can do it selectively if you have IE saving passwords for you and just select the first 4.
If you do the "Delete all" a message will pop up and ask if you want to get rid of the things addons might have added to your computer. Depending if you download enhancements for IE whatever that might be lol you can decide if you want to delete the objects it stores (more temp files more cookies etc.) So you can either check that box or leave it unchecked. And when you are done click okay!

Last edited by Ronzou; 05-12-2007 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-23-2007, 11:34 PM

As always Ronzou, you are very helpful (darn you - more rep pts coming - you young wippersnapper)!!! Hey, I had to laugh because I gave you positive rep pts about a week ago (if my memory serves me) and left a teasing comment and you got online and posted an apology (hehehe). Don't you youngins know us old folks love to tease???

Tomorrow I will reread your post and see if I'm able bandwidthwise to load Lavasoft. Thank you again. Now, don't you have a curfew or something???

Old 03-23-2007, 11:36 PM

Default NO :-( NO :-( Not IE7

Ahhhhh! I was just trying to go to bed. I hate IE7!!!! Oh well, tomorrow, I will be less cranky and then I can cuss you out for starting me down this ugly path!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
I forgot I installed IE7 with my updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...learcache.mspx

Thank goodness Uncle Bill has me covered on that one! (Computer nerd joke )

In IE7 it's a bit more annoying since everything is moved around. Uncle Bill doesn't have me covered on this one though.

I'll post them as attachments as to not slow this down too much!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
As always Ronzou, you are very helpful (darn you - more rep pts coming - you young wippersnapper)!!! Hey, I had to laugh because I gave you positive rep pts about a week ago (if my memory serves me) and left a teasing comment and you got online and posted an apology (hehehe). Don't you youngins know us old folks love to tease???

Tomorrow I will reread your post and see if I'm able bandwidthwise to load Lavasoft. Thank you again. Now, don't you have a curfew or something???
Yeah my curfew is when I get Linux working again! LOL!

I'm not THAT young! :P lol I'll post how to do it in Firefox 2 and Firefox 1.5 if you use one of thems.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Ahhhhh! I was just trying to go to bed. I hate IE7!!!! Oh well, tomorrow, I will be less cranky and then I can cuss you out for starting me down this ugly path!!!

LOL! I think everyone hates IE7!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum