Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,112 times

Advertisements

Alright,I have a gripe for the admin of this site.I am sick and tired of signing in,reading a few posts,start composing a response to someone's post,and then when I try to submit the post the stupid site tells me I am not logged in.Yes,I was.And then when I relog in I lose the whole %^**($ post that I just composed!This has happened a number of times and I am tired of it.What in the blank is going on that this site kicks you off after a few minutes? Will somebody please fix this problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 08:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Not only that but I have gotten the response that the system is busy MANY TIMES!!!

Oh, and the moderator... well they are in another country. I got reamed from the moderator for posting a "commercial" website when I posted the web address for the Dallas County Tax Appraisal office. LOL!!!! I was "playing games" with them and they were NOT going to take it. They sure don't mind having their site posted and advertised but don't dare give someone the tax office info for them to look up answers to their questions.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:18 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,377 times
Default what the ....

That has happened to me too,now before I post I do the copy and paste thing just incase. Besides that quirk I love this site because you can get so much valuable info. Us folks wanting to relocate hang onto every word..lol
So I think I can speak for most everyone here we appreciate the trouble you go through to answer our questions. Thanks Texas!

Old 07-13-2006, 10:02 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
MODs are in another country?! Which one/ones?

Old 07-13-2006, 10:44 PM

The one I got a message from was in Poland. Go figure.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
hahahahahaha... this is hilarious because I was just thinking all these same thoughts myself!

Yeah, I've never participated on a message board before where they wouldn't, like, let you post a link to a newspaper article or such. They said it was spam! Spam?? ...like I'm urging people to subscribe to that paper or something??!

And right, I've had the same thing happen to me to about not being logged in and loosing what I just posted ...that was really frustrating. But I've learned to do what mystree66 is doing and highlighting and copying my composition before I click on the "post" button.

And I also was scratching my head at that moderator's location being Poland too! I figured it had to be a misprint or something.

And the other thing I don't like about this forum is the fact that after a couple of minutes has gone by once you've posted, your editing capabilities are gone. So if you want to go back and correct or edit something in your post, you can't; neither can you delete your post.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with these perceptions! Thanks lifertexan for giving us the chance to vent!

--'rocco

Old 07-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
Quote:
Alright,I have a gripe for the admin of this site.I am sick and tired of signing in,reading a few posts,start composing a response to someone's post,and then when I try to submit the post the stupid site tells me I am not logged in.Yes,I was.Will somebody please fix this problem!
I don't know why you have problems with logging you out. Maybe it is because of timeouts. I'll try to fix it as soon as I can.
Quote:
Not only that but I have gotten the response that the system is busy
Forum is now on new faster server and i think this problem does not occur any more. (am I wrong?)
Quote:
I got reamed from the moderator for posting a "commercial" website when I posted the web address for the Dallas County Tax Appraisal office. LOL!!!! I was "playing games" with them and they were NOT going to take it
I admit I might be wrong but I don't have time to check all links.
We actually were removing ALL links to external sites but now we don't. You have to be sure that "playing games" as you name it is just trying to fool me ( or other mods) and it will NOT be tolerated.
Quote:
I love this site because you can get so much valuable info
There are also posivite aspects of city-data forum
Quote:
And I also was scratching my head at that moderator's location being Poland too! I figured it had to be a misprint or something.
Does it bother you ? Besides different time zones I don't see any cons.
Quote:
don't like about this forum is the fact that after a couple of minutes has gone by once you've posted, your editing capabilities are gone
You have one hour to edit or delete your post. After that you might PM me.

Think I answered your questions. I'd like you to send me private message first before starting new thread in the future.
Regards,
Yac

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2006 at 04:58 AM..

Old 07-14-2006, 10:21 AM

I was quoting what I was written when I said "playing games". That was the exact term used in the message to me. I don't "play games". I'm too old and don't have time for that nor use for it. I was just trying to be helpful to the people that are seeking information and I knew of a good, reliable source that I have no vested interest in. It is sad that the majority of this site is for people seeking information about an area to move to and we are prohibited from providing them links to the local paper, schools, tax office, cities, etc and it is called "playing games". Not my words but those written to me.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac
Quote:

Does it bother you ? Besides different time zones I don't see any cons.
No, no, no ...not at all. There are absolutely no cons. I just thought it amusing that a forum pertaining to relocation information for US cities was being moderated by someone in Poland. I just struck me as being odd. There were no derogatory thoughts about it on my part.

And, I also agree with momof2dfw about not being able to post links to other sites which have a direct relationship to the topic at hand. Yes, I can send the person who is requesting that information a PM but it would be nice if we could post the link for all to see. I don't see it as spam at all. And, I don't see any copyright infringement posting a link either. In fact, legally, I would imagine there's nothing wrong about even quoting a passage from an article or other source as long as it is properly referenced.

Bottom line: This is not my message board. I do not own or run it. I am not a moderator. So, as you are probably thinking to yourself right now, if I don't like it, I can leave. I realize that. I continue to participate because I feel it is a good forum ...pretty strictly moderated but nonetheless, good. So I continue to participate and play by the rules ...I'm trying to, anyway.

Thank you.

--'rocco

Old 07-14-2006, 08:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
I've had links to realtordotcom removed and asked a mod about it - I notice they are allowing some links like that now. I just circumvented it by suggesting a google-able term or writing whateverdotcom.
I've done website content writing and some sites disallow links that take the reader away from their site. (Links here don't open in another window.) Most free websites depend on advertising and letting people click away may lose revenue - that would be a practical reason for not allowing commercial links.

Yac - the server doesn't go down nearly as much as it used to, but I still notice it.
lifertexan - would resetting your cookies help, maybe? That would frustrate the heck out of me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum