Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times

Advertisements

Too many comic books seem to think villains go bad because "he's adopted" What do you think?

msnbc.com Entertainment - Was 'Avengers' joke cruel to adoption community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
I saw the movie on opening day. That line got a huge laugh from the audience.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I saw the movie on opening day. That line got a huge laugh from the audience.
and did you think it was inappropriate? offensive?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM

No, but I don't understand what is offensive about it. The dialog went something like this:

Spoiler

Hawkeye: Loki is a monster!
Thor: Watch it. He's my brother.
Black Widow: He killed a lot of people over the past few days.
Thor: ... He's adopted.

You have adopted kids. Do you find it offensive? I don't mean to be unsympathetic but I am not in those shoes.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 PM

I have not and will not see this movie. I am sensitive to any kind of "humor" which makes fun of something or someone different. I can only imagine how an adopted child would feel watching this and hearing his friends laughing at it. I know some think we have gone too far in political correctness but children especially are sensitive to things like this and should not be made to feel uncomfortable.

In this particular situation it is like saying he is a killer because he is adopted. or because he is adopted he is to be excused for being a killer. either way i don't like it.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have not and will not see this movie. I am sensitive to any kind of "humor" which makes fun of something or someone different. I can only imagine how an adopted child would feel watching this and hearing his friends laughing at it. I know some think we have gone too far in political correctness but children especially are sensitive to things like this and should not be made to feel uncomfortable.

In this particular situation it is like saying he is a killer because he is adopted. or because he is adopted he is to be excused for being a killer. either way i don't like it.
I agree. I will not be seeing it either. I don't like it, and sorry, but I can't laugh at this joke.

It marginalizes adoption and connects it to something unsavory.

Last edited by sheena12; 05-11-2012 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 05:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
They are not saying he is a killer because he's adopted.

They are pointing out that Thor and his brother are different.
He is making a joke about WHY they are different.

I agree...it's not that funny.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
In this particular situation it is like saying he is a killer because he is adopted. or because he is adopted he is to be excused for being a killer.
No, the movie didn't say either of those things, but I understand that you are offended.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:

I went, with a student who is very good friends with my daughter. He is adopted from Uzbekistan. He couldn't careless about the adopted line, he was far more interested in debating whether or not Hazmat (an asian avenger) would be in the upcoming sequels. When I told him he was a very minor character he ranted about the lack of asian superheros, again, nothing about adoption.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. I will not be seeing it either. I don't like it, and sorry, but I can't laugh at this joke.

It marginalizes adoption and connects it to something unsavory.
Given the ridiculous number of adopted superHEROS (you know like SUPERMAN) I think it is more than a little silly to pretend the overall message of comics is that adoption is negative.

If anything the fact that both good, bad and in between characters are adopted in comics it seems to make it a very diverse and accepted family style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption