Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,856,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Oh yeah! Comic Con is the best for comic nerds and gamer geeks,lol!

*and yes IMO it's perfectly acceptable to hijack your own thread!

Oh yes, costumes are HUGE! I have dressed up once before and it's fun!

PAX is cool, but I prefer DragonCon or Games Day for my table games (I play WH40K), and Comic Con for just the in your face fun ya know?
I'm more RPG style than strategy, but at PAX this year I got sucked into the Reaper booth (they sell mini-figures and paints for use in tabletop gaming). Now I'm painting figures of knights and dragons that I will never use. My favorite is a little figure of a mouse wielding dual pistols and wearing a duster. He was super fun to paint.

My favorite costume at PAX this year was fairly simple, but impressive for the commitment. A guy shaved his RL beard into the style worn by the game maker in the Hunger Games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,727,557 times
I'd give The Look but can't link to my Photobucket from my Nook.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,631,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm more RPG style than strategy, but at PAX this year I got sucked into the Reaper booth (they sell mini-figures and paints for use in tabletop gaming). Now I'm painting figures of knights and dragons that I will never use. My favorite is a little figure of a mouse wielding dual pistols and wearing a duster. He was super fun to paint.

My favorite costume at PAX this year was fairly simple, but impressive for the commitment. A guy shaved his RL beard into the style worn by the game maker in the Hunger Games.

Reaper and Ral Partha make AWESOME figs to paint.

But my fav are Games Workshop Warhammer fantasy figs. Not to mention, since they are a game, you can paint them then sell them "Pro painted" on ebay to recoop money back!

While I play Warhammer 40K (the space version of Warhammer fantasy), I still on occasion paint fantasy figs to sell or swap for 40K figs,lol.

There is nothing better than getting paid for doing something you like to do, and are pretty good at.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,470,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, but I don't understand what is offensive about it. The dialog went something like this:

Spoiler

Hawkeye: Loki is a monster!
Thor: Watch it. He's my brother.
Black Widow: He killed a lot of people over the past few days.
Thor: ... He's adopted.

You have adopted kids. Do you find it offensive? I don't mean to be unsympathetic but I am not in those shoes.
It implies adopted people are murderers. You really can't see why some people might be offended by that? I'm not completely torn up about it since movies portray various demographics in a negative light all the time, but I can definitely see why some people would be offended.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I went, with a student who is very good friends with my daughter. He is adopted from Uzbekistan. He couldn't careless about the adopted line, he was far more interested in debating whether or not Hazmat (an asian avenger) would be in the upcoming sequels. When I told him he was a very minor character he ranted about the lack of asian superheros, again, nothing about adoption.
Okay, but just because some members of a community might not be offended, doesn't mean that a lot of them won't be.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
My kids were adopted. I don't think its offensive.

The only time I've ever been offended by a media adoption moment was a few years ago when America's Favorite Mom (hosted by adoptive mom Marie Osmond!) had a category for adoptive moms called "Non-Moms." That ticked me off.

Stupid adoption jokes...nope doesn't bug me.
Wow, that is really offensive. My adoptive mother is a real mother, end of story.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,117,381 times
I'm sorry, but some of you guys in here are overreacting here. I'm adopted, and I laughed hysterically at the line. Not offended at all.

Why is America so overly sensitive about stuff? Sheesh. It's a movie. Relax.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,507,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It implies adopted people are murderers.
I don't think that's what it implies at all. I think, as someone else pointed out, that it was meant to point out why the two brothers are different. Not that adopted people are murderers.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I don't think that's what it implies at all. I think, as someone else pointed out, that it was meant to point out why the two brothers are different. Not that adopted people are murderers.
I think it's one of those things where different viewers could interpret it differently and some would be offended. As a moviemaker you have to assume that everyone in the audience will not interpret your movie in exactly the same way, and have to be conscious of all the ways a line could be taken. I wasn't all that offended either but I can see why some people would be offended.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,856,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It implies adopted people are murderers. You really can't see why some people might be offended by that? I'm not completely torn up about it since movies portray various demographics in a negative light all the time, but I can definitely see why some people would be offended.
That is simply not what the line is saying. Thor states "Watch it, he's my brother." He is defending Loki and 'claiming' him more or less. He's saying, hey, that guy is family, be careful what you say about him.

A character responds that Loki has been responsible for deaths and destruction. Thor sheepishly says "He's adopted." He's not saying Loki killed because he's adopted...he's distancing himself from Loki by saying he's not really a part of the family. He goes from claiming him (he's my brother), to basically renouncing that claim.

Those lines all work together. If someone had tallied up the dead and looked at Thor because he was Loki's brother, and Thor had shrugged and said "he's adopted", that would be different.

There's plenty in that to be upset about, without adding anything more. At no point in the course of two films is Loki's behavior and murderous intent portrayed as a result of his adoption.

(Spoiler, if you haven't seen the first film).

Moreover, Loki actually is a frost giant, a creature treated by Thor's people as war mongering monsters. If anything, there is a positive portrayal here, as with the exception of that single line Thor treats Loki at every point as his brother. He wants to protect him and have him return to the 'fold' despite Loki's crimes.

So even if Thor had been saying Loki was evil because he was adopted (which he was not), it would be because Loki is literally a monster. That's not a hidden message about real life adopted children. It's based on actual mythology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption