Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

A very brave young woman chronicles her story to place her son for adoption.

Heartbreak, hope and healing: Birth mother tells her adoption story - TODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Great story no kudzu. Thanks for posting. I'm glad that it is working out so well for this family and the birth mother.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,709 times
I read about this somewhere else, where it posted more of her entries. It's heart breaking how badly she wanted to keep her son, yet never found the support to do so. I'm glad to hear she & the adoptive parents have remained so close & hope their relationship continues to grow. I can only imagine what it would be like seeing such intimate photos of my mother during all those moments...

Old 08-01-2013, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,812 times
Pro-adoption propaganda...no more..no less. It's very sad when the adoption industry brainwashes women (and lets not forget the fathers) into thinking their temporary situation is permanent.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I suppose it is all individual, but the young women I knew who gave babies up, seemed to do better by doing forward thinking, and letting the baby go on with its own life. The ones who had open adoptions, with pictures, seemed to constantly be crying, and depressed. Agonizing if they did the right thing. Usually those same girls ended up pregnant again within a year or two, and the same problems.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
I suppose every situation is different and I can make room for a mother who simply needs to make a clean break and move onward. Open adoption though has served our family well. I maintain literally weekly contact with my daughter's birth parents (both mother and father) even now that she is 14 years old. My daughter recognizes the difference between her situation and most other children, yet she is remarkably well adjusted to it. The contact with the birth parents has resulted in a wealth of useful information for us about our daughter's health. Its helped me put some problems she has with istomach aches in context.

The key to such a successful relationship has been the circumstances of the adoption. Both birth parents made a conscious decision based on intellect to place my daughter for adoption. Both selected my wife and I based on facts which were disclosed to them and promises we made. I believe me have been very honorable in keeping every promise and commitment we have made. I expect this from them and have gotten that as well.

I will admit that sometimes the arrangement calls for a great amount of tact and diplomacy. One has to be careful what one says and does not say. However, my profession and life skills have pretty much taught me how to do that. Although, I admit I find myself carefully thinking through what I want to say many times in my dialogue with my daughter's birth parents, so that I don't inadvertently offend anyone.

Such an arrangement is probably not for everyone, but it has worked well for all of us. It has many ramifications for us. I believe all the parties involved are happier than we would be with a closed adoption.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
From your perspective, as the adoptive parent. You cannot answer for the woman who gave up her child. You may not have a clue what she thinks or feels inside. She may say one thing to you, and feel completely differently inside.

But, all people are not the same, maybe this worked well for her.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 AM

393 posts, read 598,938 times
I'm not a fan of stories made public in this manner - the child's story should be his to tell or not. Nor ones proclaiming how great the open adoption is so very soon into the journey. I prefer to hear many years out like Mark - where both sides have worked hard for many years to honor their agreement and see the benefits of it. Those are the stories that need to be told that even with some awkwardness (careful wording at times etc) they both committed to what they felt was right.

Nitpicking - it could simply be editing but seems to be a trend lately...

Quote:
In Iowa, where Mitchell gave birth, the law says birth parents have 72 hours
until they sign consent documents giving the baby up for adoption, says Karen
Nissly, owner of Graceful Adoptions, the agency that matched the Douds with
Mitchell. And after that, they have 96 hours to change their minds.
The timeframe has always been the minimum amount of time after the birth papers can be signed - not when they must be signed. Some states even have stipulations if any meds were used during birth they need to ensure they don't affect her. When that isn't made clear then it becomes a problem to me. A mother can wait days, to weeks, to even months, she can take the babe home, she can place in cradle care, etc., until she is clear in her mind what her decision is. Nothing irks me more than to read a story that states that the adoption worker was there as soon as the papers could be legally signed - not when the mother said she was ready to sign.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A very brave young woman chronicles her story to place her son for adoption.

Heartbreak, hope and healing: Birth mother tells her adoption story - TODAY.com

I agree! What a heartwarming story! Thank you for sharing, no kudzu!

There is shame, however; in keeping a baby when you are too young, because of family pressure, out of an obsession with "DNA" or out of selfishness.

Sometimes the best way to rectify a mistake is to admit it, and to take another path.

Your first concern should be for the baby and not for yourself.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:04 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I suppose it is all individual, but the young women I knew who gave babies up, seemed to do better by doing forward thinking, and letting the baby go on with its own life. The ones who had open adoptions, with pictures, seemed to constantly be crying, and depressed. Agonizing if they did the right thing. Usually those same girls ended up pregnant again within a year or two, and the same problems.

I happen to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption