Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 PM

85 posts, read 628,065 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was just wondering if there were any people from South Africa on here?

I lived there for 4 years (2002 - 2006) and was just thinking about my old home.

Anyway, if you want to talk about SA or have any questions feel free to replay.

Peace & love all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,177,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering if there were any people from South Africa on here?

I lived there for 4 years (2002 - 2006) and was just thinking about my old home.

Anyway, if you want to talk about SA or have any questions feel free to replay.

Peace & love all.
I am not from South Africa but I had a very good friend who moved here from there only to find out that his wife had cancer, so he waited until he was legal to leave the US before returning to be with her. However then 9/11 happened and he was not allowed to come back. He has been trying to come back for almost 6 years now.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:31 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I am not from South Africa but I had a very good friend who moved here from there only to find out that his wife had cancer, so he waited until he was legal to leave the US before returning to be with her. However then 9/11 happened and he was not allowed to come back. He has been trying to come back for almost 6 years now.
Wow...God bless him, his wife and his family...

Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,442 times
I lived in SA (Johannesburg area) from 1968-1979. I really miss that wonderful country, but have been told that it's "just not what it used to be" (economically) by many friends who went back for a visit.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 PM

85 posts, read 628,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I lived in SA (Johannesburg area) from 1968-1979. I really miss that wonderful country, but have been told that it's "just not what it used to be" (economically) by many friends who went back for a visit.
I lived in Johannesburg too, in Sandton to be exact.
I was never in SA under the old government, but my friends there told me that it has been a mixture of good and bad since the ANC took power at the1994 elections. You should go back and see for yourself. It is still an amazing country.
Peace.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 PM

59 posts, read 259,051 times
Default Moving to SA

I have an opportunity to take a 3-year expat assignment coming soon and I'm quite sure I'll do it. I don't really know what to ask first: Generally, how does the cost of living fare?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,604 times
my father is in sa, and 2yrs ago i had visted him in yellowood park. i ve been to the cape and its quiet cool, theres alot i love abt the country, but jhb is the last place i would go to!

Old 11-04-2007, 12:12 PM

94 posts, read 323,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I lived in Johannesburg too, in Sandton to be exact.
I was never in SA under the old government, but my friends there told me that it has been a mixture of good and bad since the ANC took power at the1994 elections. You should go back and see for yourself. It is still an amazing country.
Peace.
I lived in the Sandton area for about 5 years returning to the U.S in late 1999. I have family members living in Joburg and Cape Town area. It is still an amazing country. I am planning a visit there next year.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 26,404 times
Default South Africa

I recently moved to Conneticut from Colorado. I am from Durban, South Africa. I went back to SA to deliver my son there. Things haven't changed too much since I left the country in 2005. Just feels like here. The cost of living is rising everyday but our salaries are shrinking. Ironic!

South Africa is a beautiful country with a bright future. We just need some bright, different minds brought in to Govern the country. Not selfish but selfless minds!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:19 AM

81 posts, read 246,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sternawilson View Post
I recently moved to Conneticut from Colorado. I am from Durban, South Africa. I went back to SA to deliver my son there. Things haven't changed too much since I left the country in 2005. Just feels like here. The cost of living is rising everyday but our salaries are shrinking. Ironic!

South Africa is a beautiful country with a bright future. We just need some bright, different minds brought in to Govern the country. Not selfish but selfless minds!!!
you are quite right, south africa does need selfless minds to govern the country, but were the previous government selfless? and not to patronise, but where is there a country to be found where the government is perceived as selfless by its citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa