Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times

Advertisements

What countries have you been to? What were your experiences like? How were you treated by the local population? What were the reasons for going? What countries are most welcoming to Black Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
I guess none here on CD. I know one person who went to Ghana with some friends, and another who went to South Africa with her husband and children. All loved the countries, felt welcomed, and are planning on visiting again. I thought others here have had similar experiences in these or other countries.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM

57 posts, read 102,096 times
In my whole life, I have only met one African American who had traveled in Africa. A young woman and her mother who flew to Dakar and traveled overland to Niger. That was about 25 years ago.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 AM

28 posts, read 73,455 times
I'm a black American. I've been to Africa, but only North Africa, specifically Morocco (Marrakesh, Ouarzazate, Zagora, Essaouira). It was a good trip. Went for backpacking/holiday. I'd do it again. They're very welcoming to black Americans (Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix have spent lots of downtime in Essaouira, the locals famously told me this), but also you're American, so you will be haggled for money like most other Western foreigners. So be prepared to bargain. It gets exhausting after a while negotiating for everything you want, from taxi rides to food to accommodations, but it's simply how things are done in Morocco. However, the experience is worth it. Super cheap vacation spot, though.

I'd like to go to Sub-Saharan, Eastern and Southern Africa. But haven't gotten the chance yet.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stcml View Post
I'm a black American. I've been to Africa, but only North Africa, specifically Morocco (Marrakesh, Ouarzazate, Zagora, Essaouira). It was a good trip. Went for backpacking/holiday. I'd do it again. They're very welcoming to black Americans (Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix have spent lots of downtime in Essaouira, the locals famously told me this), but also you're American, so you will be haggled for money like most other Western foreigners. So be prepared to bargain. It gets exhausting after a while negotiating for everything you want, from taxi rides to food to accommodations, but it's simply how things are done in Morocco. However, the experience is worth it. Super cheap vacation spot, though.

I'd like to go to Sub-Saharan, Eastern and Southern Africa. But haven't gotten the chance yet.
My fiance and I are going to Morocco this June, we've already bought the tickets on the Morrocan Royal Airlines. We plan to hit Casablanca, Essaouira, Tangier and a few BerBer villages in the south...how was the transportation there domestically? Is English widely spoken as a second language? How was the cost of everything? Any insite would be helpful.

I'm not really worried about any racial issues being black; I've been to Egypt before and I've lived for a small period in Israel and the West Bank, and my experience has always been that if you're an American...youre an American. Racism is more of a classcism engulfed in your nationality from what I've seen. In otherwords, AA's are seen as American which automatically gives you a certain measure of "prestige" (for lack of a better term)associated with a certain degree of education, money and political representation. Nigerians and other blacks from sub sahara Africa who aren't inherently wealthy, may be treated enitrely different.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM

261 posts, read 512,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuyno View Post
In my whole life, I have only met one African American who had traveled in Africa. A young woman and her mother who flew to Dakar and traveled overland to Niger. That was about 25 years ago.
wow now that is a profound thing to say absolutely amazing. I knew A Americans were not to particularly interested in Africa but that is amazing. Sounds like a thread I should be posting simply to see if it will lead to a heavy thread count. Hummmm

Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
One especially popular destination for African-American tourgroups, is Goree Island, Dakar, Senegal, where centuries ago, many natives were jailed/confined, and put on slave ships for the Americas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa