Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 PM

17 posts, read 20,338 times

Advertisements

I recently watched a documentary about Liberia on YouTube. It was really interesting to see the amount of poverty in a country (which I have never known anything about before this video.) Its capital, Monrovia, has over a million people and its beaches are covered with human feces and its slums have twelve year old kids doing hard drugs. It is currently listed as the third poorest country in the world (GDP). I was wondering what people know about Liberia and its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
I only know a little because my sister was posted there with the US State Department. She was paid a premium because it is considered dangerous, and for that reason we never went to visit like we did when she was posted in Georgia and Napal. She had nothing good to say about the country or its prospects for a successful future. Chopped off arms and legs are commonly seen.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:52 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
A good video on the situation in Liberia.

Liberia Struggles to Build Democracy After Civil War - YouTube

Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Just wrapping up a book on Liberia. The Americos (descendants of American slaves who founded the country, make up around 2% of population) didn't do a good job developing the country much outside of their settlements. Even their settlements weren't much to write home about but they were atleast civilized. In 1980 the native Africans overthrew the Americo president and native Africans took over and ushered in their "enlightened" rule.

The results of this rule are what you saw in the documentary. Did you watch the cannibal one as well?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
I view Liberia as an example why full and complete democracy will fail over and over. To qualify to vote in Liberia one must be 18. That's it.

The literacy rate in Liberia is 60%. That means 40% of the people can not read a simple sentence, or write.

In my view, an illiterate population should have only tacit control of their government, and voting should be restricted to those who qualify by demonstrating that they understand the rudiments of governing, and are participating in the economy. Qualifying should not be automatic, should not be restricted, and should be earned.

I believe America is now in the process of demonstrating how an uninformed voting population will eventually do great harm - and perhaps even destroy - their host country, just like enough fleas will eventually kill a healthy dog.

Liberia should start over.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:35 PM

17 posts, read 20,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Just wrapping up a book on Liberia. The Americos (descendants of American slaves who founded the country, make up around 2% of population) didn't do a good job developing the country much outside of their settlements. Even their settlements weren't much to write home about but they were atleast civilized. In 1980 the native Africans overthrew the Americo president and native Africans took over and ushered in their "enlightened" rule.

The results of this rule are what you saw in the documentary. Did you watch the cannibal one as well?
The cannibal one is the one I talked about. It was from vice correct? Makes me never want to venture to Liberia.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:28 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagulllife View Post
The cannibal one is the one I talked about. It was from vice correct? Makes me never want to venture to Liberia.
Yup thats the one. Some of the African tribes in Liberia are some of the most backwards in all of West Africa. I grew up with a Liberian but he was of African-American descent. His mom would always say awful things about them.

When I got older I worked with an African Liberian. She had these hideous marks on her stomach and back. She could never wear a bikini.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,950 times
I've seen that vice documentary too and holllllly cow. Staying away from that part of the world

Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,596 times
Were can i go when am looking for a person in liberia anyone?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

I think a similar group of former American slaves settled in Sierra Leone.

If memory serves me correct, they made up the ruling class in that nation as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa