Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Cool I don't care. I'm not fine with it.
No one cares. You have no authority over those women. Deal with it. There is no law in the states that mandates a certain dress code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one cares. You have no authority over those women. Deal with it. There is no law in the states that mandates a certain dress code.
Lots of people care. I can voice my opinion. I think they look tacky and un-American.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Lots of people care. I can voice my opinion. I think they look tacky and un-American.

So what does American look like?

Last edited by AFP; 08-31-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,453 times
I know people from Ghana who wear their ethnic clothes out in public when they feel like it, I wonder what some Americans might think of that? As an American, I gave them a very positive comment about it.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I know people from Ghana who wear their ethnic clothes out in public when they feel like it, I wonder what some Americans might think of that? As an American, I gave them a very positive comment about it.
Everynow and then. Not every day. Stay in your country of origin if you don't want to assimilate

Old 09-01-2017, 02:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
I know a Black American woman who has taught in the village in the Congo for a year. She's lasting just fine.

Don't speak for ALL BLACK people. You have great difficulty in the concept that not all people from a nationality are this way or that way.

Even if the majority of African diaspora could not survive long in an African village, there are those that can and do.

The FACT remains that if a black American or a Caribbean black goes to Africa expecting to be embraced AS AN AFRICAN then they will be disappointed. That is a FACT, and there is ample documentation to back this.

Your friend might be seen in the same light as they see the white aid workers, just a black version. And many of the white workers do just fine.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
There is no "culture" in NYC, not black or otherwise. When people speak about their culture, they're talking about the culture of whatever foreign country they're from.

That in fact is the culture of NYC. Its diversity and the fact we all must adjust to it. Even a black American who arrives in NYC and discovers that he might be seen as having foreign origin.

Not sure that all the "native" black American professionals left. Just understand that if 50% (maybe more) of the black population is of foreign origin then this will be reflected in its upper middle class.

NYC doesn't have that deep rooted "old money" blacks as do places like DC or Atlanta as the black population was quite small until after WWI. Harlem of the 20s was about 30% West Indian, so even then black NYC was quite diverse.

NYC being tribal meant that it took longer for blacks to land the prestige civil service jobs as the Jews and the Irish monopolized those and kept it for their kin. This unlike DC where employment in the Federal gov't was the base for that city's well heeled black elite. And this beginning maybe even in the late 19th century. Certainly the presence of Morehouse and Howard had an influence, NYC not having black colleges as the black population in the post slavery era was quite small.

In fact the higher up one goes among black professionals the more one will meet people who are solidly black American.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
That movie was funny. I didn't know there were issues between the two groups.

Yes shocking in 2017. Its not as if the white Brits respect either group and both groups have similar socio economic challenges.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
You have middle class Black neighborhoods in Eastern Queens, plus there were ALWAYS Black homeowners in the Bronx, in Upper Manhattan, and in Brooklyn. It's ridiculous to say that there's no Black middle class in NYC.

I think he meant no black middle class people who lack foreign connections. He is quite wrong on that of course.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

So what does American look like?

I am interested in Edward's response as well. Most assuredly someone coming to NYC from Idaho will have more of a culture shock than someone arriving from the DR, India or China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa