Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know. And no I don't have negative or backwards misconceptions. I know not everything's a desert, Savannah. I know there has it's middle class too and basic and even many other amenities. Also cars, parks, shopping centers, etc. I want to know what are the nicest looking cities. Curious to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 06:52 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,121 times
There are several but the top one is probably Cape Town, SA. Which was just voted the #1 place in the world to visit.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Windhoek, Namibia and Kigali, Rwanda.
Capital Kigali cleanest and safest city in Rwanda CCTV News - CNTV English

Here is an interesting article about Asmara, Eritrea.
http://www.tesfanews.net/asmara-is-t...cleanest-city/

Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Further proof that people will believe anything. no matter how absurd and contradictory. The headline says Kigali is the safest city in Rwanda, but the commentator says Kigali is the safest "on the continent". Furthermore, absolutely no basis for the assertion is offered, except the opinions expressed by influential people promoting Kigali.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
The only African city I've visited is Tangier and considering the hatred in the eyes of the residents, I was glad it was only a day trip from Spain. A platter heaped with dates at the market was covered with flies. Children were playing in the water around a public drain. Barbara Hutton had been dead for years, but the guide spoke as if she was still there when pointing out a specific house. We had to leave passports with the captain of the hydrofoil.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:02 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,859 times
I would say Abuja is the most "organized" since it's a newer planned city. Lots of modern office buildings/architecture and malls. It is the capital of Nigeria.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-26-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Further proof that people will believe anything. no matter how absurd and contradictory. The headline says Kigali is the safest city in Rwanda, but the commentator says Kigali is the safest "on the continent". Furthermore, absolutely no basis for the assertion is offered, except the opinions expressed by influential people promoting Kigali.
By this, I feel you are calling me stupid for posting the link. If you take issue with Kilgali being an overall safe city that's fine, reply in a constructive non-insulting way. My point was that Kigali has come some distance in a short time and is now considered more safe than some or many African cities these days.

Who do you think writes Cape Towns good press, people living in the Cape flats? It is also written by those influential people promoting the city. It highlights the positives, which articles and videos like this often do. Is Chicago any different, it highlights the good things not the number of areas where there is still substantial crime and the chances are good ya might be the next victim.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:59 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
The mention of Eritrea made me investigate further. Sounds like a fascinating place. I'd never considered it before.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 AM

149 posts, read 100,457 times
Windhoek is very nice.. I think better then Cape Town.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:14 PM

87 posts, read 122,097 times
Dakar Senegal

Nairobi Kenya

Antananarivo Madagascar

Windhoek Namibia

Maputo, Mozambique

Praia, cape Verde

Libreville gabon

Lusaka Zambia

Abidjan ivory coast

rabat morocco

Of course the popular south African cities

Kumasi and Accra Ghana are pretty decent. These are the ones I can name off the top of my head.

To be honest with you majority of the African countries have their nice/clean areas and bad/dirty areas.

Lagos Nigeria may not be the most organized city but there are some very wealthy black neighborhoods in Nigeria that can give some of the best neighborhoods here a run for their money.

Last edited by greatchick118; 02-02-2014 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa