Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Not sure if you consider them truly Africa or not but Mauritius and the Seychelles (along with Botswana) always seem to rate the highest in terms of quality of life, GDP, stability, etc.

Mauritius: The best Africa destination you know almost nothing about | CNN Travel

10 Richest Countries In Africa 2014

Forbes Welcome

Mauritius scores highest in African governance survey | Top News | Reuters
Mauritius, in particular, is one I've long wanted to visit. It's just a little too isolated to easily get to, on any extensive travel trip though...

Seychelles seems a little small....I guess I can't imagine much going on there beyond tourism...but I'm sure the tourism is spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,417 times
Thumbs up The posting is profound in its tracing of the original cause of the refugee crisis in the mid-east

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackten088 View Post
Of course . South Africa is the best in Africa . we having challenges in certain things .We dynamic in our ways unlike the Americans . Compare to us . America is more racially bias and their institution of justice more racially motivated to harm blacks and latinos .I will rather be south african in RSA or Africa .

We are a stable country . Institution like Transparency international are subjective in their view of Africa . Look at the corruption index for a start . We used to it Russia , Africa , Latin America and Asia , beside NATO partners are least corrupt according it . How does Saudi Arabia rank higher than South Africa ?

The West partnering with Sharia powerhouse ( Saudi Arabia ). We have some bad governance issues . What about George Bush lying to the world about motivating to start a massarce in the Muslim world .

People must give us a break . How blacks have white cops butchered in America since 2014 ? England , Germany and France not facilitating integration with people different from them . The refugees were not invited to Europe , but Europe's invitation to them came in aid of bombs , destruction . They escape to Europe is an recoil of what europe started in middle east and Libya .

Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 PM

387 posts, read 355,935 times
It's rather ironic that after years and years of oppression from British/Dutch Whites that Black South Africans would then turn around (barley 20 years later) and discriminate against Blacks from other poorer African countries for whatever lame "ethnic differences" reason....

Same exact thing happened when the US/Britain were trying to colonize Japan in the mid-late 1800's....Japan got bullied for a bit by the West, then quickly modernized (the movie the Last Samurai with Tom Cruise covers this topic) and 50-75 years later during WW2 (when Japan was now modernized and very powerful) went off colonizing China, Korea and the rest of Asia (and doing it in a MUCH more cruel and brutal way than any European power had ever done).....

Just further proves my opinion that all of Humanity is the same and at it's core a very divisive species....Make everyone the same race and people will still be fighting/killing others over stupid "They are different from us...thus we are clearly superior" reasons.....

The ending of the book Animal Farm by George Orwell comes to mind when I think of the Human species....

Old 02-23-2016, 02:14 PM

8 posts, read 7,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is SOUTH AFRICA the best country to live in Africa?

I'm kind of half-expecting people to say "NO" and list the crime rates.

But, it really seems to offer the highest quality of life among Africa. I think it's almost entirely outside of the Malaria-zone, it has a lot of international tourism, it attracts business, it has beautiful coastline, many beaches, a diverse mix of people, and Cape Town seems to be an international jewel.

What do the rest of you think? Anything you'd recommend that you'd think might be better? Or even close to it?
Wouldn't be "right" to use the word "best." If you defined a specific criteria, then yes, one could use a rating scale and say it is the "best" in that field, so to speak.

People wanting a familiar high QOL would say it probably is the best in Africa. People who want the "African" experience would say it is not. e.g A friend of mine from NY who is currently in Jo'burg and moved here 2 years ago always says how she hates this place. Simply/mainly because she says she didn't move from the west to still come and be in a place that "feels" like the west. Racism, "white culture," western food, etc all around her. So to her, she is not in the "best" country in Africa.

So ultimately, the answer to your question as it is to perhaps a lot of questions in life, is "it depends." (on your definition of "best.")

Old 02-26-2016, 11:28 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenash100 View Post
Wouldn't be "right" to use the word "best." If you defined a specific criteria, then yes, one could use a rating scale and say it is the "best" in that field, so to speak.

People wanting a familiar high QOL would say it probably is the best in Africa. People who want the "African" experience would say it is not. e.g A friend of mine from NY who is currently in Jo'burg and moved here 2 years ago always says how she hates this place. Simply/mainly because she says she didn't move from the west to still come and be in a place that "feels" like the west. Racism, "white culture," western food, etc all around her. So to her, she is not in the "best" country in Africa.

So ultimately, the answer to your question as it is to perhaps a lot of questions in life, is "it depends." (on your definition of "best.")
Yep! Now that I've experienced South Africa, I would agree with that! I think South Africa has a lot of great things going for it...but as you mentioned, there are definitely a lot of drawbacks, that you wouldn't have in other African countries...then again some of the great things, might not be in the other African countries either though.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:58 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
About the guy who mentioned Cape Coloureds and later talked about interracial dating. You should know that Cape Coloureds are the product of South Africans mixing together with multiple groups. I think the Number of interracial people is higher in SA just because of the Cape Coloureds.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:49 PM

395 posts, read 462,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
How can you say that South Africans are more racially progressive than Americans? I agree that neither country is paradise for the average black person but America is still way ahead in terms of race relations and economic opportunities for blacks.

- There are still many instances of Xenophobic attacks towards black migrants from other African nations.
- The ANC almost completely ignores the needs of the Cape Coloureds.
- Millions of South African blacks live in slums which are FAR more inhumane than U.S. ghettoes (there are ZERO informal settlements in the US).
- Interracial dating is still extremely rare and taboo in South Africa while in most of America it's pretty common.
- And in America, a black man was elected president despite the majority of Americans being white.

America still has major issues with systemic racism and bias in it's legal system BUT as a Black American myself, I can honestly say that if you're a motivated young black person who wants an education, has enough sense to avoid the bad crowds and WAITS to have children then you WILL become successful. Yes, you may face more obstacles along the way but it's bound to happen.
I happened to come across this older post while researching something else and just wanted to say great post! Well said.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:40 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times

Old 07-30-2016, 11:34 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
. Racial tension is also on the up as its local election year and its a known tactic that they (ANC) like to fuel this fire every so often to help with their campaign that to end racism and prevent apartheid coming back then people must vote for them.

Its interesting that racial tensions are always only the fault of the blacks. Nothing in their daily interactions with whites creates distrust. This being the white response, as they continue to deny their CONTEMPORARY role in fostering racial tensions.

The fact that Zuma was booed at Mandela's funeral suggests that the ANC no longer has a lock on black emotions. It suggests that they get the vote because blacks don't see an alternate, but they are highly dissatisfied with its leadership.

What ANC is doing is exploiting tensions which already exist. NOT creating them.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:23 PM

277 posts, read 380,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Its interesting that racial tensions are always only the fault of the blacks. Nothing in their daily interactions with whites creates distrust. This being the white response, as they continue to deny their CONTEMPORARY role in fostering racial tensions.

The fact that Zuma was booed at Mandela's funeral suggests that the ANC no longer has a lock on black emotions. It suggests that they get the vote because blacks don't see an alternate, but they are highly dissatisfied with its leadership.

What ANC is doing is exploiting tensions which already exist. NOT creating them.
Before I take this out of context, are you adding to my comment or disagreeing with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa