Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 02:10 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The rest of Africa is predominantly Nilotic, Horner, Bantu and West African and both the Horner and West African people were connected to the Islamic world and had all the information they had. The Nilotes were connected to Egypt and traded with them going back centuries and the Bantus were originally West Africans and kept their farming techniques as they moved further South into the continent, and were also connected to the Islamic world. All of these groups had nation-states before Europeans came, all of these groups except the Bantu had large cities before Europeans came. In fact many of them like the Ghana emprie and the folks of Eastern Congo were already mining before the Europeans came.
Points are well-taken though that is not what was on display at New York's Museum of Natural History when I was taken there as a kid. When I took my older son there in 2001 or 2002 the displays were the same. I take it many others were farmers who grew primarily for their own needs, not for cash sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 02:15 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I posited that the "continents (sic) current borders would (not) have been the same." There were plenty of tribal wars before and I doubt that would have eased. The "conniving injection of colonialism from all of the colonizing nations" was not a necessary condition for those wars. The colonizers usually played off existing rivalries when they could, in the Americas as well as Africa. The difference is that smallpox and other contagious diseases did not decimate the population. On average, though, hunter-gatherers do not "harness the continents (sic) vast natural resources and human capital to build what could be a very viable economy." The climate discourages that kind of hard work.
Im not sure that we would have "basically what we have now". To believe so is to believe that the influence of colonialism had very little affect on those people. And that their chances of developing their countries and the continent as a whle would be limited.

Im sure I didnt allude to the tribal tensions and wars being a derivative of any colonial influence. To say such would be naive at the least. It cannot and should not be understated how colonialism affected any inter tribal warfare.

Thanks for the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa