Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to plan our next destination and we have decided that we would like to go to Africa.

She likes tropical beaches, I like big cities. Looking for somewhat of a mix or at least a way to have both.

Basically we're looking for an African country with an interesting city that would have beautiful beaches, or a country that would have a very interesting city and a beach city within reasonable distance and an ease of travel between. Also not looking for a dangerous destination where we could get our heads chopped off or brought into jail to pay a bribe.

Right now after some searching we've been considering Mombasa, Kenya. Are there other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 12:22 AM

277 posts, read 381,371 times
Hey Burgler,

Have you had a look at South Africa?

Cape Town being the most popular tourist destination has a major city, beautiful beach fronts and surrounded by mountainous areas. Biggest downside being that the ocean is ice cold >.< *Shakes fist at Atlantic Ocean.

Which is then where Durban comes in. Major city with amazing beach fronts and the warm Indian ocean About a 2 hour flight from Cape Town and a 1 hour flight from the biggest city in SA - Johannesburg.

I really want to go visit Zanzibar sometime soon. Very popular honeymoon destination due to its beaches and holiday resorts

Mozambique also has a lot of really cool beaches and a lil' more rural than South Africa. Very popular for diving!

Hope this helps!

Old 12-28-2016, 12:42 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,678 times
I was thinking South Africa too, friends daughter moved there, he went a couple years ago and LOVED it (I think Anthony Bourdain does a good episode there if you want to look it up)-
Its been a while, but have been through Mombasa, and while the beach was lovely (and delicious spiny lobsters sold fresh by the locals who caught them, walking up and down the beach)- can't say Mombasa was particularly impressive but then again it might help if you describe what you are looking for in "city" (Cape town looks amazing from what I gathered)...

Old 12-28-2016, 03:18 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,878,133 times
I'm flying down to Cape Town next February and will be staying in Plettenberg Bay not far from Port Elizabeth, has anyone been there and can give me some impressions of the place and of the region between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth in general ? is it a good choice for a vacation? are there security issues (my main concern actually)?

Old 12-28-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm flying down to Cape Town next February and will be staying in Plettenberg Bay not far from Port Elizabeth, has anyone been there and can give me some impressions of the place and of the region between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth in general ? is it a good choice for a vacation? are there security issues (my main concern actually)?
Have only been on holiday to to Plett once Stayed at place called Nature's Valley. Very beautiful there The whole Garden route that side is definitely worth the drive. Lots of scenery to look at between there and Cape Town.

What kind of security issues are you worried about? (maybe I can help put your mind at ease )

Old 12-28-2016, 04:51 AM

@ dowsieboi : I assume that more than 20 years after the end of Apartheid there are still unresolved issues and a simmering anger of the black populations against anything white , as witnessed by the violent farm invasions , and let's face it, the statistics on criminality in SA are not good , on a par with countries like Mexico, I have even been told that staying out after "curfew time" is at one's own risk, is it true or not ?

Old 12-28-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
@ dowsieboi : I assume that more than 20 years after the end of Apartheid there are still unresolved issues and a simmering anger of the black populations against anything white , as witnessed by the violent farm invasions , and let's face it, the statistics on criminality in SA are not good , on a par with countries like Mexico, I have even been told that staying out after "curfew time" is at one's own risk, is it true or not ?
Like any country there are good areas and bad areas. The closer you get to the major cities, the more chance you'll have of experiencing crime. That's where the money is. Also try avoid the outer areas with the townships after dark.

The more densely populated areas are relatively safe because there's normally a police presence and lots of people makes it more difficult for crime to operate. I've walked through the city at 1am/2am plenty of times in Cape Town with no issues.

Most of the time it comes down to just being vigilant and you'll be fine I haven't had any incidents while I've been in Cape Town over the last year and I've only been robbed less than a handful of times in my whole life when I was in Johannesburg before that ...whether that's considered normal or not in other countries I have no idea

Any areas in particular you want to know about?

Old 12-28-2016, 05:14 AM

@ dowsieboi : sure, we'll be staying first in Camps Bay, then down Cape Peninsula (on the other side), then Downtown Cape Town (Long Street), and finally in Plettenberg.
The reason I'm uneasy is because I've been robbed in Costa-Rica although that country is considered "the most secure" in Latin America, so...

Old 12-28-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
@ dowsieboi : sure, we'll be staying first in Camps Bay, then down Cape Peninsula (on the other side), then Downtown Cape Town (Long Street), and finally in Plettenberg.
The reason I'm uneasy is because I've been robbed in Costa-Rica although that country is considered "the most secure" in Latin America, so...
* Camps Bay - Rich area with plenty of tourists. Pretty safe.
* The Peninsula is quite a large area but it's mainly small fishing towns (if you're talking about like Simon's Town, Kalk Bay, Muizenberg). Pretty safe as well. If you can, avoid the areas further East of that - Grassy Park, Mitchells Plain, Khayelitsha.
* Long street - Full of people as it's basically just bars and cafes. Be vigilant walking down here at night as the larger crowds attract more drugs and sketchy people. There's normally a police presence though to try help it out. Try avoid flashing too much money/cell phones around while walking down the street at night (common sense things imo). There are lots of cool lil' bars along there though. Very common for people to bar hop down here most nights If you walk 2 streets up you'll find Bree Street which is the more hipster version of Long street. A lil' quieter with some cool bars as well

Old 12-28-2016, 07:06 AM

Thank you for the info, dowsieboi ( we'll be staying in Kalk Bay actually).
There is another problem : the only word I know in afrikaans is "braai"! can you tell me some the basic words in afrikaans like "good morning" , please", "thank you" (dank u ?) , "good bye",etc. just to be "polite" at least with the local folk ? what are themost used words in afrikaans ? (how do you say "meal" for instance , or "fare" in the bus?). I kind of like the sounds of that language...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa