Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this?

Quote:
2015 marks the 20th year since sub-Saharan Africa started on a path of faster economic growth. During that period, growth has averaged 5.2 percent per year. Meanwhile, the number of people on the continent reportedly living under $1.25 a day has continued to creep upwards from 358 million in 1996 to 415 million in 2011—the most recent year for which official estimates exist.

What can explain these divergent trends?

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/africa-in-focus/2015/05/04/why-is-the-number-of-poor-people-in-africa-increasing-when-africas-economies-are-growing/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 AM

673 posts, read 466,217 times
Here is a little story. My third grade teacher went to Africa and brought back trinkets and tales of starving children, villages with grass huts and killings of rare animals. I remember her presentation like it was yesterday.

That was 1959............NOTHING HAS CHANGED AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE. It is a continent that cannot fix itself.
Ignorance, murder and theft and yet, the populations of the unwashed continue breeding.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
Here is a little story. My third grade teacher went to Africa and brought back trinkets and tales of starving children, villages with grass huts and killings of rare animals. I remember her presentation like it was yesterday.

That was 1959............NOTHING HAS CHANGED AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE. It is a continent that cannot fix itself.
Ignorance, murder and theft and yet, the populations of the unwashed continue breeding.
This comment is basically screams your racist.

Last edited by chiatldal; 12-12-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 AM

The reason why is the birth rate, both the middle class and poverty are growing at the same time.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This comment is basically screams your racist.
You forgot to throw in antisemitic for good measure. /s

Old 12-13-2017, 01:48 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
African countries also need to look at whether or not certain regulations and red tape are stifling business activity that could be producing more jobs.

Quote:
Kenya bets on regulatory reforms to
improve ease of doing business

Mohamed disclosed that in 2016 and 2017, Kenya emerged as the third most reformed country in Sub-Saharan Africa thanks to re-engineering of business processes.

Coastweek - The most from the coast

Old 12-13-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
African countries also need to look at whether or not certain regulations and red tape are stifling business activity that could be producing more jobs.
Think that broad brush when come to business, there needs to less in some areas and more in others areas.

One of things that actually hurt some places is the lack of collecting taxes, That people have business and etc on the low and don't pay taxes, which hurt paying for infrastructure.

Some basic stuff like improve roads, lighting, Schools, waste and sewage management would do a lot to improve the quality of life for people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3GpS_7RZrs

Old 12-19-2017, 06:43 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What do you think of this?

[/url]
Your data fails to take Africa's overall population into account in these calculations. Indeed, it appears that extremely poor people made up a much larger percentage of Africa's total population in the past than they do right now.

In fact, this effect was simply masked and hidden by Africa's high population growth rate.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:33 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:

No, they took a break in 1976, the year I spent traveling there. In my honor, they behaved quite civilly'

I remember a lot of things I was told when I was in third grade. I would be really embarrassing to think I still believe them all.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:

It's really striking. If you google "GDP per capita" + an African country. The first result is a chart from the World bank. For several African countries such as Liberia and the DRC, they've never had a GDP per capita above $600 since the 60s.

The situation imho will only get worse due to population explosion. I actually think a more overt form of colonialism will return with China playing a big role this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa