Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

The Desperate Journey of a Trafficked Girl
Every year, thousands of teen-agers from one city in Nigeria risk death and endure forced labor and sex work on the long route to Europe

By Ben Taub

In recent years, tens of millions of Africans have fled areas afflicted with famine, drought, persecution, and violence. Ninety-four per cent of them remain on the continent, but each year hundreds of thousands try to make it to Europe. The Mediterranean route has also become a kind of pressure-release valve for countries affected by corruption and extreme inequality. “If not for Italy, I promise, there would be civil war in Nigeria,” a migrant told me. Last year, after Nigeria’s currency collapsed, more Nigerians crossed the sea than people of any other nationality.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...rafficked-girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 08:10 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quoted from the Op's line "Many of the original traffickers came from Upper Sakpoba Road, in one of the city’s poorest neighborhoods, where children hawk yams and sex workers earn less than two dollars per client. Nuns working for an organization called the Committee for the Support and Dignity of Women travel to local schools and markets, explaining to girls the brutality of the industry. But a nun told me that women in the market on Upper Sakpoba Road warn them off. “Many of them say we should not stop this trafficking, because their daughters are making money,” she said. “The families are involved. Everybody is involved.” End Quote

These girls have everything going against them and it doesn't help that these girls have trash for parents.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:47 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

In recent years, tens of millions of Africans have fled areas afflicted with famine, drought, persecution, and violence. Ninety-four per cent of them remain on the continent, but each year hundreds of thousands try to make it to Europe. The Mediterranean route has also become a kind of pressure-release valve for countries affected by corruption and extreme inequality. “If not for Italy, I promise, there would be civil war in Nigeria,” a migrant told me. Last year, after Nigeria’s currency collapsed, more Nigerians crossed the sea than people of any other nationality.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...rafficked-girl
Ironic, when the Western European colonizers are long gone but you wish to go back to them.

It reminds me of the article I read that states African Americans are the white people of the global black community.

More blacks already in western countries must start taking advantages of such great opportunities especially with young African women risking sex slavery and death to do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
These girls have everything going against them and it doesn't help that these girls have trash for parents.
Yup it’s very sad, just another example of our self-inflicted issues and how we like to exploit our own race.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:45 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
How many is "94%" of "tens of millions" and how many years are "recent years"? Credibility is lost immediately, when I see vague and wild estimates condensed to statistics claimed accurate to the nearest one percent.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:56 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ironic,
It reminds me of the article I read that states African Americans are the white people of the global black community.

I wonder how. AAs lack financial, market or technological dominance to control anyone. Their problems within a domestic setting mirror those of majority black nations on the global scene.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:27 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ironic, when the Western European colonizers are long gone but you wish to go back to them.

More blacks already in western countries must start taking advantages of such great opportunities especially with young African women risking sex slavery and death to do the same.

Yup it’s very sad, just another example of our self-inflicted issues and how we like to exploit our own race.
Dude stop,

Old 04-26-2018, 09:41 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Dude stop,
Russians sell Ukrainian women to Arabs but Rocko rants as if any blacks do this.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Russians sell Ukrainian women to Arabs but Rocko rants as if any blacks do this.
Lots of Latinos and Asians are human trafficked as well. It's a global, not racial problem.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I wonder how. AAs lack financial, market or technological dominance to control anyone. Their problems within a domestic setting mirror those of majority black nations on the global scene.
Yeah but compared to the African diaspora they are living large.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Human beings exploit each other. Which is why I've always found the efforts to guilt whites over the slave trade somewhat humorous. Any other group would have done the same thing if given the opportunity and Africans were not only complicit but in several cases demanded the trade continue.

Closer to home the financial crisis where many blacks were supposedly preyed upon were preyed upon by family members and people they went to church with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa