Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 04:35 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times

Advertisements

No there are so many better places to live than Ghana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 AM

10,069 posts, read 14,940,669 times
I would personally not live in Ghana, but I have no intention to ever live outside the Americas. It has nothing to do with Ghana itself.

In terms of living, I personally don't need an entire society to be developed. For one thing, I will never be in most places in most countries. Secondly, no one knows or talk to or develop some sort of relationship with most of the people in your surrounding. In fact, I'm willing to bet that most people here don't know who their neighbors are except those in the immediate vicinity, but most you probably see in random places around town and don't even know they live say on the street around the corner from your house. No one knows most of the people surrounding them, ever.

All I need is:

- A pleasant city or town and it doesn't have to be the entire city either since I can avoid certain areas, no biggie.

- A few well stocked supermarkets.

- A nice and varied selection of restaurants.

- Fast internet connections, preferably fiber optics.

- A medium to large bookstore with a decent supply of new titles every month or two.

- A nice church.

- At least one movie theater showing up to date productions from Hollywood and local productions too.

- A handful of nice parks.

- A top notch hospital or clinic nearby.

- An international airport nearby with at least a decent amount of connections.

- A country with diverse scenes (mountains and pines in one area, perfect tropical beaches in other areas, savannahs, jungles, etc) with at least a nice resort in each area for weekend escapes.

That's basically it as far as I'm concerned. If such a place exist in Ghana, then its certainly doable. The only problem is that its not in the Americas.

I'm fully convinced that in countries like the USA the average person has no idea what their life could be somewhere else. Due to that, they react to the unknown. Reality is that your lifestyle could be as pleasant or more then where you currently are, but you're not able to see it because something is in your way, whether it is a developing society and you think your lifestyle will be lower because of that or some other things you might be exaggerating. Ghana suffers from this and it isn't the only place, IMO. What Ghana is like in some minds and what it is if they open up their minds could very well be two different things.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:03 PM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
You could win a mansion in Cape Town. Without any income or a job, it doesn't matter.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:47 PM

6,093 posts, read 3,334,624 times
I actually had a guy last year who worked for me and he was from Ghana. If he is representative of the rest of Ghana, the people must be amazing there. This guy was one of my best workers, excellent attitude, good work ethic, just a fun guy to be around.

However, he was very negative about the government of Ghana. He felt they were compromised by China and corruption was rampant. Also, that the Chinese citizens living there had liberties that the normal citizen of Ghana did not have.

He was very happy being a US citizen and had no interest in ever living in Ghana again.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:12 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I actually had a guy last year who worked for me and he was from Ghana. If he is representative of the rest of Ghana, the people must be amazing there. This guy was one of my best workers, excellent attitude, good work ethic, just a fun guy to be around.

However, he was very negative about the government of Ghana. He felt they were compromised by China and corruption was rampant. Also, that the Chinese citizens living there had liberties that the normal citizen of Ghana did not have.

He was very happy being a US citizen and had no interest in ever living in Ghana again.
The Ghanaian Americans I know (I'm of Ghanaian heritage myself) spend quite a bit of time in Ghana each year. Granted, they generally don't have plans to live there again full time, but they still spend quite a bit of time there.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:05 AM

10,069 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Well, I had a Ghanaian friend and he made a big deal about owning land in Ghana. I guess it must be some sort of status symbol over there.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:59 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,628,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The Ghanaian Americans I know (I'm of Ghanaian heritage myself) spend quite a bit of time in Ghana each year. Granted, they generally don't have plans to live there again full time, but they still spend quite a bit of time there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Well, I had a Ghanaian friend and he made a big deal about owning land in Ghana. I guess it must be some sort of status symbol over there.
Same with quite a few of my Indian clients. They go back and forth, marriages, land ownership, festivals, reunions, any excuse will do. They are citizens of US but as one said, "India is home".

Old 03-22-2021, 01:54 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Absolutely not. They treat gay people worst than animals there. I did take an ancestry test and it said I’m part Ghanaian decent so I wouldn’t mind visiting briefly though
Speaking of what you said, part of me does worry that there might be(for all I may guess) quiet subtle racism some of the Ghana locals would have, against those who are white(like me). I hope that isn't the case myself, but I have no idea if that infrequently occurs behind the scenes or not. And as we know, Africa was one of the places, where colonization of African countries by European countries was slower to end, vs. on other continents(i.e. South Africa).

I'll be honest, there are other countries in Africa that more interest me than Ghana. I.e. Morocco, South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, etc. And part of me also wouldn't mind seeing Egypt, as well.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:24 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'll be honest, there are other countries in Africa that more interest me than Ghana. I.e. Morocco, South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, etc. And part of me also wouldn't mind seeing Egypt, as well.
I had the opportunity to live in many countries around the world - including Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and the offshore of that continent as well. Would I go back - maybe. As much as I would like to - Ebola is making a comeback. And it's not just there, but on America's west coast - where health officials are tracking 23 people right now. This is not a disease like any other you've ever seen before - there's really no cure.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:39 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
Don't know if this was mentioned.

But musician Stevie Wonder just this month, said he would like to retire to Ghana.

Also, the late Maya Angelou lived for awhile in Ghana and held a government position there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa