Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,985,216 times

Advertisements

Do you know any African Americans who sought opportunities in Africa?
A lot of booming going on there

Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Do you know any African Americans who sought opportunities in Africa?
A lot of booming going on there
I don't know of any African Americans who sought opportunities there.
But for the last couple of decades other nationalities are working there in banking/finance, setting up factories (assembling electronics, consumer goods, f&b), plantations and timber concessions, etc.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 PM

Here is a business model making instant noodles in Nigeria.
url address: dufil.com/management.asp

Investor profile
url address: investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=9682271

Old 04-04-2010, 02:02 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,751 times
Default Moving to Africa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
I don't know of any African Americans who sought opportunities there.
But for the last couple of decades other nationalities are working there in banking/finance, setting up factories (assembling electronics, consumer goods, f&b), plantations and timber concessions, etc.
Which is how many...2 or 3 ?

I'm sure there's plenty over there...but City Datas probably not the place for that kind of information...try reading 'Black Enterprise Magazine'...which I guess is the A-American version of Forbes Magazine...

I myself, if I had the funding, the money, have thought about moving over there, not for the culture, but rather for the land...

But over there, unless the society or government is very stable...you would need body guards sorounding the perimeter of your land 24/7...

Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Which is how many...2 or 3 ?
The local Chambers of Commerce & Industry and government departments can assist you with data and statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I'm sure there's plenty over there...but City Datas probably not the place for that kind of information...try reading 'Black Enterprise Magazine'...which I guess is the A-American version of Forbes Magazine...
That's weird. How is that sort of info offensive on C-D? If so, Mod please delete them.
Thanks for recommending 'BEM', I've bookmarked it. If it is the A-A version of Forbes, have these established and successful individuals no incentives to venture to 3rd world and developing countries. Yet this article says otherwise:
url address: blackenterprise.com/small-business/2010/03/30/doing-business-in-south-africa-taking-ethnic-haircare-back

"However, about 9,000 miles from American shores, Harris is doing her own thing and accomplishing in South Africa what was once accomplished (and lost) in the U.S.—ownership and control of the black hair care products. The CEO of J.M. Products SA (Pty) Ltd., with 21 full-time employees, 100 sales and merchandising agents, is heading up a firm that manufactures and distributes ethnic hair care products in South Africa, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Angola, Ghana, and other African nations."

Quote:
I myself, if I had the funding, the money, have thought about moving over there, not for the culture, but rather for the land...

But over there, unless the society or government is very stable...you would need body guards sorounding the perimeter of your land 24/7...
Most commercial/industrial zones have 24/7 security guards wherever that may be. 2 summers ago they ripped off my sprinkler system, and I'm not living in Africa.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:26 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
The local Chambers of Commerce & Industry and government departments can assist you with data and statistics.

That's weird. How is that sort of info offensive on C-D? If so, Mod please delete them.
Thanks for recommending 'BEM', I've bookmarked it. If it is the A-A version of Forbes, have these established and successful individuals no incentives to venture to 3rd world and developing countries. Yet this article says otherwise:
url address: blackenterprise.com/small-business/2010/03/30/doing-business-in-south-africa-taking-ethnic-haircare-back

"However, about 9,000 miles from American shores, Harris is doing her own thing and accomplishing in South Africa what was once accomplished (and lost) in the U.S.—ownership and control of the black hair care products. The CEO of J.M. Products SA (Pty) Ltd., with 21 full-time employees, 100 sales and merchandising agents, is heading up a firm that manufactures and distributes ethnic hair care products in South Africa, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Angola, Ghana, and other African nations."

Most commercial/industrial zones have 24/7 security guards wherever that may be. 2 summers ago they ripped off my sprinkler system, and I'm not living in Africa.
I never said anything about offensive...where did you even get that from???

Please don't try to figure me out before you know me...
Please don't put me in some pre cast template you've already formed in your mind...

I never once said anything about offensive...I simply said information like that would better be sought in some black orientated business magazine where your dealing with black businessmen and or millionares...

Its funny how people who don't know any real blacks in real life always resort to graphs and charts and diagrams...to explain things...

Just go out and meet some succesful people and you won't need all the charts and diagrams and statistics...

I think you mean well...and for that I leave you with a smile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa