Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 08:03 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times

Advertisements

Curious if anyone here has encountered the video interview yet?

Companies large and small are broadcasting an invitation to candidates to provide a video interview responding to a series of questions. A proprietary AI algorithm then dissects the tiniest details of candidates’ responses — their facial expressions, eye contact and supposed “enthusiasm” — and generates a report that companies can use in deciding whom to hire or disregard.

Here is one of the companies claiming to provide a "faster fairer friendlier hiring process".

https://www.hirevue.com/

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/12/1...-ai-job-screen

What could possibly go wrong with this?

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 07-18-2021 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 06:01 AM

376 posts, read 320,627 times
Ugh! Glad I’m at the end of my career and will be retiring shortly. The “smarter” new technology gets, the more stupid humans become.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,555 posts, read 81,131,933 times
No, and I'm glad. There are subtleties that we pick up from candidates such as facial expressions that tell us things about the person, and whether they are making up stories, or being totally hones. In fact I'm interviewing this week and for the first time they will be using Teams, not in person, and I suspect it will be a bit more challenging. My last hire was in person and started the day before we dent to work from home.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:46 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNJ View Post
Ugh! Glad I’m at the end of my career and will be retiring shortly. The “smarter” new technology gets, the more stupid humans become.
Already several lawsuits for discrimination filed against companies providing this software and the hiring companies using it. Let's say the algorithm is gauging "enthusiasm" or "engagement" based on some facial responses or other body language. Let's say one gender or one ethnic group has a natural tendency to score "poorly" based on the AI detection software logic - that group may get discarded from consideration, and the company can always claim that "the software made me do it" and the software is "fair and impartial". Since no one ever knows the details of how the algorithm works, or why they were rejected, it will be extremely difficult to prove discrimination even though that may the outcome.

Companies are also starting to use facial feature recognition software to further enhance their dossier of information about you. Your activities in public are being recorded hundreds of time each day and are available for analysis. What are your driving habits? How do you interact with others? Are you sad, angry, or erratic? Are your spending habits frugal? What parts of town do you hang out in? Almost every aspect of your life is being tracked and analyzed, almost every hour of the day.

This is just the very early days for how AI is going to shape human life into the future. It might not affect you or me so much, but our children and grandchildren are going to experience that Brave New World.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 07-19-2021 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-19-2021, 06:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

Companies large and small are broadcasting an invitation to candidates to provide a video interview responding to a series of questions. A proprietary AI algorithm then dissects the tiniest details of candidates’ responses — their facial expressions, eye contact and supposed “enthusiasm” — and generates a report that companies can use in deciding whom to hire or disregard.

Here is one of the companies claiming to provide a "faster fairer friendlier hiring process".

Probably not any worse than having the HR ditz ask you what kind of animal you would be, then pretending he/she is a FBI profiler (with the IQ of a lug nut) and basing hiring off his/her analysis of your answer.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:50 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,155 times
If I was looking for a job, if I'm asked to do a "video interview" like hirevue, I'll pass on the job.

An interview is a two way street. I'm also evaluating them too, and this gives me some major negative vibes.

Hirevue/video interview stuff screams that they do not value their candidates.

How an employer treats their candidates is how they will treat their employees.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:33 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, and I'm glad. There are subtleties that we pick up from candidates such as facial expressions that tell us things about the person, and whether they are making up stories, or being totally hones. In fact I'm interviewing this week and for the first time they will be using Teams, not in person, and I suspect it will be a bit more challenging. My last hire was in person and started the day before we dent to work from home.
Nah. We use Microsoft Teams all the time for interviewing and for internal meetings. No different than being in a conference room with someone.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:59 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

Video interviews sound like a fregging very awful idea, to determine if someone should be hired or not over minor issues. I.e. say if someone is fine talking to others, but doesn't like staring at another person they're talking to in the eye during a conversation. And that's true I'm fine talking to others, but I do not like staring at people directly who I talk to. And that I prefer looking at others indirectly when talking to others, as that makes me less nervous!

Sigh though, I guess it doesn't surprise me some employers (especially big box stores, like I remember Best Buy's online application was like that. same with Blockbuster Video and Hollywood Video, too) will do stupid personality test sections towards the end of their online application, to weed out a lot of applicants. And to me, that's a VERY annoying habit that I wish companies would stop doing. I think it was the company Unicru, who wrote those online personality questionaires that'd often show up towards the end of an online job application(for Best Buy and other companies, often big box stores).

And that HireVue AI system to screen job applicants, looks like it'd suck when I read up about that.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 10-02-2021 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: clarifying a few things

Old 10-03-2021, 06:28 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
I find the old fashioned "who do you know, who knows you" still the best way.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:39 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I find the old fashioned "who do you know, who knows you" still the best way.
i.e. cronyism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI