Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:23 AM

11 posts, read 58,964 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing property in Massillon, but don't know much about the immediate area....can anyone give me a heads up? Thanks in advance!! James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 PM

38 posts, read 347,121 times
I know the Massillon area. Is this property for investment?

What info are you looking for?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Massillon Info

I'm looking for a general description of the area, including job outlook, whether or not it is a "growing" area, if there are any "gotchas" I should know about, and any info that would allow me to determine whether or not to purchase rental property there.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:00 PM

74 posts, read 372,291 times
It's not a growing area. The Downtown is like a ghost town because atleast 50% of the business places are shut down and makes the city look more like a slum. Don't get me wrong the city isn't ghetto by far. There are of course areas that are better to stay away from but for the most part Massillon is just normal middle class of people who are holding jobs from the past but there isn't much job opportunity for any age.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:40 AM

38 posts, read 347,121 times
Summertime brings more crime. Read The Independent for news and other info. Check the town website for general info.

Rental property is widely available: apts, sfhs, not too many condos. The classifieds are full of ads for rentals. There are several apt communities. Several housing developments were built in recent years. A new development of townhomes built to blend in with the historic district, and within a few walkable blocks of downtown will be built in a year or so.

Jobs are hard to find. There is plenty of retail shopping, two hospitals, 12 screen movie house, etc. Lots of eateries. The downtown does have plenty of empty storefronts, however it is not a true ghost town. The empty car lots take up a lot of space on the main road. There is an empty shopping plaza between KFC and Arby's at the main traffic light at Wales Rd.

Downtown: Massillon Museum holds various community activities. Lions Lincoln Theatre, Outdoor Concerts on Thursdays, Cruise-Ins (for car enthusiasts), other concerts and family activities.

The murals on buildings are fascinating and unique. Football is big here.

Anything else?

Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 AM

Thanks for all the info! Since I'm looking at investment property (rentals), this would probably NOT be a good situation for me. I appreciate the input!!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,694 times
The last info posted on Massillon is 6 months old---does anyone have any other opinions about Massillon.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casadepalmer View Post
The last info posted on Massillon is 6 months old---does anyone have any other opinions about Massillon.
I moved away from Massillon almost 8 years ago, but I visit on a fairly regular basis.

I think glasshouses summed the city up fairly well. Jobs may be difficult to find in the immediate area, but I don't think the commute to Akron would be that difficult.

I love the downtown. (but I'm biased) In my opinion, Massillon's downtown is not much different from that of many other small cities throughout the state.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouses View Post
Football is big here.
That is an understatement- it's HUGE! It's what life is centered on. There was a movie on the HS football team called 'Go Tigers'. You should rent it.
Massillon also have a mental health hospital. On its grounds is the National Shrine to St Dymphna. There are masses there, a shrine, you can be blessed with her relics, etc..
I loved it but I have only visited- small town, quiet, BEAUTIFUL murals, little mom-n-pop shops, close to Cleveland for weekend fun. I could live there. It reminds me of small town Kansas, yet not so isolated.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,875 times
Hi.....
I am a mother who lives in Massillon. The N.E. side. I have lived here for 8 years now. I really wish I had investigated the area more before I moved here! Much of this area is poverty stuck....crime is high and many of the children are a reflection of this! I would love to sell my home and find another area to raise my children! If you are up to making money off section 8 properties...this it the place! Be prepared to have to gut each property as a new one arrives! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton