Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,678 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in Phoenix,Az, we are tired of the heat and the scenery! We are thinking about moving to Ohio or Iowa, just not sure what towns to look into. We have never been there but from what I have read they both seem like nice places to live. We dont want to live in the city, but close enough to work. We have two kids so schools, parks and low crime are a top priority! We also want to live somewhere with lots of trees, from the pics i have seen it seems like there a lot of trees. Pictures can be deceiving though! Any advice will be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 04:21 PM

225 posts, read 462,387 times
My wife and I just moved from Texas to Ohio and we absolutely love it. We are in Columbus but Ohio has so many charming areas I am sure you will find a place that you will enjoy here. You should definitely look into Columbus, Ohio as because it has a lot of what you are looking for.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:32 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
This would certainly depend upon where you work. I don't know anything about Iowa, but I have lived in Arizona, which has its charms, but I can see how you might be craving some lush green surroundings.

Where you would be happiest in Ohio depends upon your jobs, but the climate is basically the same anywhere in the state, perhaps a bit warmer in southwestern, like Cincinnati.
I lived in NE Ohio and experienced no crime to speak of, and an excellent school system.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,678 times
Thanks for the advice. I am a Surgical technologist so I would have to be within 30 minutes of a hospital and my husband does a little of everything. What ares some nice towns outside of the big cities that are worth looking into? My husband and I are both born and raised in AZ so we are ready for some green surroundings. We are so sick of the heat. Does ohio get hot ( above 100) during the summer? How about winters, are they harsh?

Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
Most places in Ohio rarely get over 100, although it did happen for a few days in the southern part of the state this year. Ohio is a lot more humid than Arizona so the heat index can get over 100 when the actual temperature is 95. As long as you stay away from areas east of Cleveland, when snow happens, it's only about 2 inches at most at a time and it usually melts before the next snow. Most parts of the state get the roads clear pretty soon after the storm. There seem to be hospitals everywhere so I doubt you would have a problem finding a job as a surgical technologist wherever you go.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM

177 posts, read 431,199 times
The Greater Cleveland and Columbus areas are very great places, and there would be plenty of green areas. But since you mentioned living within 30 minutes of a hospital. Then maybe trying the Greater Cleveland area, as Cleveland is home to Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, and have many branches in Solon, Beachwood, and Mayfield. So you wouldn't have to live directly in the city of Cleveland. Geauga County is a great place to reside, and some communities have close proximity to highways to drive to the more populous areas. In Depth: America's Best Places To Raise A Family - Forbes.com http://www.forbes.com/2008/06/27/schools-places-family-forbeslife-cx_zg_0630realestate_slide_18.html?thisSpeed=undef ine (helpful if looking for great areas for families). The Cleveland areas would provide a change of scenery if that's what your looking for (i.e. Lake Erie and beaches, Allegheny Plateau, and farmlands). The Columbus area is also a great place too. Delaware County would give a great mix of suburban/rural/and city-life. 100+ weather in Ohio is rare but the entire state overall usually receives a good amount of rain before and after it even comes near high temperatures.

Some great areas in the Cleveland area would be: Solon, Chagrin Falls, Bainbridge, Orange, Pepper Pike, Cleveland Heights, Westlake, Rocky River, South Russell.
Other nice places in Columbus: Dublin, Gahanna, Delaware, Powell, Westerville, Bexley, Pickerington, Upper Arlington, New Albany. Those are some that comes to mind. Hope this helps...

Old 08-12-2012, 04:13 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Really, you cannot go wrong. Just zero in on the hospital system you can work at, and then find a patch of green nearby. Ohio is mostly, vast expanses of farmland with some cities in between.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM

225 posts, read 462,387 times
Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati all have great hospitals so you are really in a good position. I can only speak for Columbus because it is where my wife and I have settled. We like to hike and get outdoors frequently. Some of the suburbs that we like are Worthington, Dublin, Westerville, Gahanna, and Westerville. We live in an amazing little suburb called Grandview. It is a low crime highly walkable area with great restaurants and people. It is surrounded by the city and is a really great place to raise children. My wife works on the campus of the Ohio State Medical center and is able to get to work in 10-15 minutes depending on traffic lights. We absolutely love it here.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
I moved from Ohio to Phoenix in 1972 but always missed Ohio. Now, as retirement nears, I am considering moving back. Medina is a nice area that also has the Cleveland Clinic. Avoid some places such as the east side of Cleveland for living as it will remind you of south Phoenix.

The best thing about Ohio is the wonderful people!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
Another thing if you want a less urban setting is that even in the rural areas, there is enough population that every county has a hospital and the counties are pretty small, so anywhere in Ohio is within 30 minutes of a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton