Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,713 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a 23 y/o chemical engineer relocating to the area from Oklahoma City for my job in North Canton. I was wondering if any of you could provide some insight on good areas to rent where there would be lots of similarly aged people around, bars/restaurants, and good housing. I'm willing to drive up to 40 min to North Canton in order to achieve this. I'm reaching out because I have had issues finding such a thing in the area and perhaps I am just not looking in the right places. I'm not super keen on corporate-owned rental properties because I have had some major issues in the past with maintenance, noise, etc. I'm willing to pay up to $1300/mo to get a rental with a lot of space for entertaining but also within an area where I could go out and socialize with people my age. Any sort of knowledge on fun neighborhoods/previous rentals you have enjoyed/places to explore in the area would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 AM

5,512 posts, read 9,501,346 times
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along eventually, but since they haven't replied yet, I'll share what little I know.

North Canton, itself, is a nice community, but I'm not sure if it's a good fit for the young professional type.

A neighborhood that I hear is relatively trendy, and might fit the bill, would be Highland Square, in Akron. My cousin (in his early 30s) lives there, in a 1920s apartment building. The building itself has lots of nice original character, but he's not happy with how it's managed and maintained. (his latest complaint is that they will turn off the boiler whenever the outside temp goes above 40; he claims it's because the owners are Russian, and think that's warm enough ) So, if you decide that's the area for you, be sure to get some recommendations about who to rent from.

There may also be neighborhoods in Canton worth checking out, but I've not heard of any, specifically. Hopefully, the more knowledgeable Akron/Canton posters will have more thorough advice.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,840 times
2nd Highland Square and to a larger extent Northwest Akron, Merriman Valley, etc. You could also try a couple of the buildings in Downtown Akron as well like Canal Place. Northside Lofts is also nice but I'm not sure if $1,300 would do it. Otherwise, $1,300 will get you whatever you want in most of the other neighborhoods.

That should also put you within your acceptable commuting range

Canton for whatever reason just does not have a neighborhood like that. Young professionals seem to be spread out all over. Stark County (Canton area) leans significantly towards suburban development.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,713 times
Thanks a lot for the tips!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,399 times
Default moving to n canton

n canton is great area very nice...canton is not akron can be very scarey be careful there too

Old 03-13-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy t View Post
n canton is great area very nice...canton is not akron can be very scarey be careful there too
Haha... boo!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,399 times
well check the web 2nd worst city is canton soo

Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy t View Post
well check the web 2nd worst city is canton soo
I'm not sure what "2nd worst city" is, but I assure you that nothing "bad" Canton offers holds a candle to those coming from larger cities. And I say this having been in every part of Canton.

Stark County has a major issue in that it skews so far to suburban mindset that it ends up being a detriment to the area as a whole. You see this guy asking about a hip, urban neighborhood to move to? There isn't one to offer in Canton/Stark County. It doesn't exist.

Somebody has to make those investments in [a] city neighborhood[s] for them to be around to attract young professionals. Even that being said, saying "Oh Canton is terrible" still is a ridiculous oversimplification. There are even cheesy McMansion developments in the city, off of 55th St., that are exactly the same as being in Jackson or Lake or any other cookie cutter development area.

Market Heights, Harter Heights, Ridgewood (although you've got some proximity issues there) are all good city neighborhoods. Most of the area north of 62 is pretty good as well.

Canton definitely needs some additional investment in the city but to act like the whole thing is the South Bronx in the 70s is ridiculous. I think part of the issue is so many people live in areas that are so socioeconomically homogeneous that they equate any minorities or divergence in income as equating to something to be feared. It's a really weird mindset.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,636 times
In Akron, Jeffrey Dahmer's childhood home is up for sale :-)

Richard Lubinski & The Lubinski Group with Stouffer Realty: Listings Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton