Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times

Advertisements

^Cleveland is one of the better food cities in the country. Akron has begun to follow suit. It never ceases to amaze me that, in the age of Google and smart phones, people actually think their outright lies can go unchecked. That and the fact that they can't seem to find a good place to eat when everyone else with opposable thumbs can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenias View Post
I think the OP is referring to bicyclist-friendly to having bike lanes on roads. I've lived in both California and Oregon and most roads have a separate lane for bicyclists. Of course the weather in these states is mild so many people bike year around to work. Would be impossible in Ohio due to the heavy snow in winter. So it probably isn't worth taxpayers money to widen existing roads to accommodate a bike lane.

It is more difficult to find healthy food restaurants in Ohio, the west coast has a different lifestyle in a lot of ways, Oregon is big in salmon, greens, California, Avocado was king as well as fruit, mexican foods. Ohio seemed to be more of a meat and potatoes type place, although I survived many years there as a vegetarian, so you can find healthier restaurants, you just may have to travel a little farther for them.
They are slowly implementing bike likes through road diets, etc. But true to the OP's comment, most bike lanes here are cheap-out attempts at being bike friendly which is comprised mostly of throwing down a bicyclist stencil on the roadway and that's about it.

The traffic comment is off the beam unless you're comparing it to a rural area or something like that. Average commute here is 20 minutes. There are regular back-ups on x-ways but usually only for a couple of miles to an interchange and then it frees up again.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:20 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
They are slowly implementing bike likes through road diets, etc. But true to the OP's comment, most bike lanes here are cheap-out attempts at being bike friendly which is comprised mostly of throwing down a bicyclist stencil on the roadway and that's about it.

The traffic comment is off the beam unless you're comparing it to a rural area or something like that. Average commute here is 20 minutes. There are regular back-ups on x-ways but usually only for a couple of miles to an interchange and then it frees up again.
I think that's a good point at least for Akron. Cleveland does seem to be a little better about that though. However, if one is living anywhere along the Towpath Trail, of which there are actually a decent amount of spaces, bicycling in the heart of the city would be super duper commuter friendly.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:26 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Topography would make it rather difficult. There are some very steep, unforgiving hills in Akron. As far as food really not sure what the OP is talking about. There is plenty of healthy cuisine in Akron, as there is everywhere. One can always prepare their own meals, or grow their own food, if they do not like what restaurants are serving. No one is preventing the OP from doing so.

Plus, who moves to Ohio without realizing what the weather is like there? There are definitely colder climates than NE Ohio in this country.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenias View Post
Ohio seemed to be more of a meat and potatoes type place.
Psh. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Oh, and the OP is crazy. There was a lot that I didn't like about Akron. A lack of bike trails was never one of them. The trowpath trail, homie. And in a pinch, Sand Run Park!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
You know, as a kid, we used to ride down what we called "construction road"....it's off Kingsley in West Akron and in the winter we used to sled down the hill and in the summer, ride bikes through a few miles of this road....it runs between Cliffside Drive and Garnett....googlemap it....that "Green finger" is where the "road" lies....the park service used to keep it up but, who knows anymore.

Anyway, it runs parallel to this mini-dam network for about 3-4 miles...maybe less....long time ago...anyway, it will drop you out in one of the many park areas along sand run road in the "valley". from there you can navigate to tow path or riverview road or akron peninsula....oddly enough, its more bike friendly now than then....

Anyway, in the 70/80's we used to ride it routinely...there is NOTHING on this road....the park is actually quite nice and to Akron's credit, and their original city fathers, there are parks every few miles throughout the city with the largest being those in the valley and beyond....there is also a quarry down riverview we used to swim in back then as well....across from a trailer park if I remember....anyway, riding your bike around Hale Homestead and that area is pleasant as well....the ride from the valley to Pennisula is about 15 miles, give or take...roundtrip it's plenty...

Anyway, if you happen to live out that way or are near Firestone High, it's a good trek and no one will give a flip what you are doing back there. We used to make the trek through the road, down riverview to 303? Over to Pennisula proper back down riverview through Hale Homestead and back into the valley and home with multiple stops in about 4 hours.....on 10 speeds (Remember those crazy things?).

If you want to kill a good part of a Saturday, here's your chance.....if the road is no longer available, just start in the Valley and have at it. I understand they developed a good trail through there in O'Neil woods some years ago. Pleasant, low traffic, and now folks even watch out...no more 68 Chevy's with drunk kids to dodge!

Food? Some of the best haunts are going to be non-descript restaurants in North Hill, downtown, East Akron, 21,....mostly 3rd and 4th generation operations....nothing great from the outside but, the food is good....they do like their sauces though and it's not always "diet oriented" that's for sure.

Akron is truly what you make it....in the good weather anyway. The Summer evenings are usually not too taxing and quite often cool...by the end of August they are definitely cooling down. Winter? Well, all I can say is that it starts in November and doesn't give up until early May. Seems it's only bad every 5 years or so now...back then? EVERY winter had plenty of snow and cold....

You have to look past the grime and grit and make it work for you. It's relatively cheap to live there. My advice? Get out of there during the Winter at least once a month from January to April to keep your sanity. Heck, drive somewhere South....anywhere if you have to or fly on a cheap airfare to get away. Sitting through January-March is similar to Moscow I'm sure....gray, dismal, and not much sun in sight....no shadow for weeks on end...who needs the ground hog?

Highland Square is rejuvenated but, it always was popular back into the 40's....downtown has picked up considerably...Aero's is a good venue...cheap and easy to get in AND out....at least it used to be...fireworks by the Diamond Grill on the 4th, plenty of sports in the fall and then vacation planning by Holloween....

But, for now, it's on 180 days, or less, until you start freezing your assets off so get out there and be somebody!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 05:02 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
There are plenty of opportunities for physical activities and healthy eating in NE Ohio, but if you are only open to what you are used to, you will not be happy here.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 PM

12 posts, read 19,195 times
Ohio is the midwest. The midwest is NOT progressive. The biggest cities (I live in Cincinnati with better biking weather) are JUST getting on board with bike lanes and getting tons of resistance. Also, weather is weather is weather. Akron has better snow management despite more severe weather than Cincinnati. AKA, I feel better driving in a blizzard in Akron than a small winter storm in Cincinnati because of how the roads are treated. I also legitimately MISS that weather. I MISS SNOW.

We do, admittedly, love our meat in the entire state and Akron was and still is very working class. Heavy, filling meals. I don't know what level of healthy you mean, but healthier eating is a trend that isn't going away anywhere and is simply increasing. But I think a lot of us enjoy those options just as much as we love indulging in a Galley Boy from Swenson's.

Akron is NOT the most exciting place in the world. It never will be. There's a lot more action happening in Cleveland, a short drive away. But as someone else said, you got to get googling. The parks system is great. There's skiing opportunities in winter though we have hills not mountains. And we are within several hours drive of NY ski resorts and great white water rafting around Pittsburgh. In fact, Pittsburgh is a fantastic city for overnight trips. So you are with 2 hours drive of some of the best art museums in the entire US. Countless parks.

The other cool thing is...you can MAKE your own fun. There's a huge gaping hole in Akron just waiting to be filled. The people I do know that live there are using this to an advantage. They are shaping a new downtown culture to what THEY want because they can. I'm familiar with the Indie Craft scene in the area and for a city it's size, it shows incredible promise and is doing a lot of great things. Yeah, it's small right now but it can grow and, with a low cost of living, you get more to pour into special projects. This is generally what is going on in a lot of the low cost areas in Ohio. If Akron doesn't have it....do they want it? If they do and you do, go for it.

Winters are for cozy indoor activities or outdoor sports. Because of this, it may not be as easy as you think to meet new people. I mean, I have that issue in Cincinnati. And ya know what? Awkward structured meet-ups are a GOOD THING. Pick a hobby. See if there are meet-ups for that hobby. Go to them. A lot of that area has never moved around so they are very set in their friend groups. As someone who moved around and felt lost quite a bit...is the area boring or have you not really connected with anyone? Cause that was always the hardest thing for me.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToDoInNEOhio View Post
Recently moved to the Akron area. Already planning on moving to a warmer climate in around 12 months. What is there to do here for a fit, single, professional middle-aged male? I enjoy bicycling, but Ohio is not bicyclist-friendly. Florida and some other states have bike lanes everywhere. This past winter with record lows below zero day after day was a joke. Can't find many restaurants with healthy food around here. The traffic here is amazingly bad for a small city. I-76 and I-77 are parking lots during rush hours.
It is a small city that is part of a larger metropolitan area. The statistical area includes several counties and covers over 3.5 million people. That is why the traffic is bad. Dayton also has bad traffic and they are in a similar situation with Cincinnati metro and Dayton has even fewer people than Akron.

If you want bike lanes come here. You'll find them in Norfolk. This is something you could have researched prior to coming to Akron. You might find this article to be of interest.

Having said that, the cities in the Midwest known for cycling are Minneapolis, Chicago and Detroit. This is not something you typically find in smaller cities like Akron. As you already know Akron has some very steep inclines. I don't live in Akron anymore and bike lanes were not a thing when I did but if they are not in Akron that is probably for the best. Cyclist could easily kill themselves trying to get around Akron in the street. The streets are not that wide as it is and it would cause a lot of traffic slowdowns allowing cyclists in dedicated lanes.

If you can't find restaurants with healthy food you aren't looking in the right place. Simple as that. I've never been to a town without healthy eating options, and that includes parts of West Virginia.

If you need a warmer climate it is what it is but don't fault Northeastern Ohio for having smaller cities and several urban and suburban counties that make up a big metropolitan area. You would run into the same situation in a lot of metropolitan areas in the US. Just have to do more research before moving to a place the information is there but one has to look at the MSA and the CSA, not just the population of a town.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchygirl View Post
Ohio is the midwest. The midwest is NOT progressive. The biggest cities (I live in Cincinnati with better biking weather) are JUST getting on board with bike lanes and getting tons of resistance. Also, weather is weather is weather. Akron has better snow management despite more severe weather than Cincinnati. AKA, I feel better driving in a blizzard in Akron than a small winter storm in Cincinnati because of how the roads are treated. I also legitimately MISS that weather. I MISS SNOW.

We do, admittedly, love our meat in the entire state and Akron was and still is very working class. Heavy, filling meals. I don't know what level of healthy you mean, but healthier eating is a trend that isn't going away anywhere and is simply increasing. But I think a lot of us enjoy those options just as much as we love indulging in a Galley Boy from Swenson's.

Akron is NOT the most exciting place in the world. It never will be. There's a lot more action happening in Cleveland, a short drive away. But as someone else said, you got to get googling. The parks system is great. There's skiing opportunities in winter though we have hills not mountains. And we are within several hours drive of NY ski resorts and great white water rafting around Pittsburgh. In fact, Pittsburgh is a fantastic city for overnight trips. So you are with 2 hours drive of some of the best art museums in the entire US. Countless parks.

The other cool thing is...you can MAKE your own fun. There's a huge gaping hole in Akron just waiting to be filled. The people I do know that live there are using this to an advantage. They are shaping a new downtown culture to what THEY want because they can. I'm familiar with the Indie Craft scene in the area and for a city it's size, it shows incredible promise and is doing a lot of great things. Yeah, it's small right now but it can grow and, with a low cost of living, you get more to pour into special projects. This is generally what is going on in a lot of the low cost areas in Ohio. If Akron doesn't have it....do they want it? If they do and you do, go for it.

Winters are for cozy indoor activities or outdoor sports. Because of this, it may not be as easy as you think to meet new people. I mean, I have that issue in Cincinnati. And ya know what? Awkward structured meet-ups are a GOOD THING. Pick a hobby. See if there are meet-ups for that hobby. Go to them. A lot of that area has never moved around so they are very set in their friend groups. As someone who moved around and felt lost quite a bit...is the area boring or have you not really connected with anyone? Cause that was always the hardest thing for me.
I don't miss snow but I do miss the management. The South is the worst when it comes to snow. A foot of snow here and you can drive if you want to but the streets are not plowed and you might not be able to see the sidewalk. It is extremely dangerous.

I haven't found anything remotely close to Swenson's down here. Closest thing to the parks I've found is in Virginia Beach and Portsmouth but this place has a long way to go. A lot of stuff you just take for granted, then you move somewhere else and see how it really is.

If the OP wants terrain, they would probably be better off in a larger city like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Anything else is outside of the budget and in some other state.

Took me forever to realize that there are just a lot of things that Akron does not want. It would be a bigger deal if Cleveland, Columbus and Pittsburgh did not have it and Akron was just totally isolated like some city out West but it is nice to have the option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton