Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,361 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to the Akron area. Already planning on moving to a warmer climate in around 12 months. What is there to do here for a fit, single, professional middle-aged male? I enjoy bicycling, but Ohio is not bicyclist-friendly. Florida and some other states have bike lanes everywhere. This past winter with record lows below zero day after day was a joke. Can't find many restaurants with healthy food around here. The traffic here is amazingly bad for a small city. I-76 and I-77 are parking lots during rush hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:24 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,007,506 times
Perhaps try one of the many, many miles of bike-and-hike trails in the area? Or Metroparks? Or the National Park? Or take the bike-and-ride trips on Cuyahoga Valley RR? You can ride from here to Lake Erie entirely on bike trails.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM

5,030 posts, read 5,712,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToDoInNEOhio View Post
Recently moved to the Akron area. Already planning on moving to a warmer climate in around 12 months. What is there to do here for a fit, single, professional middle-aged male? I enjoy bicycling, but Ohio is not bicyclist-friendly. Florida and some other states have bike lanes everywhere. This past winter with record lows below zero day after day was a joke. Can't find many restaurants with healthy food around here. The traffic here is amazingly bad for a small city. I-76 and I-77 are parking lots during rush hours.
Yeah first time on this forum. I have to say, I think you need to utilize Google more. I live in Florida right now, I can attest to the fact that it (anywhere in Florida) is outclassed by a several miles compared to the Northeast Ohio area in terms of bicycling paths/lanes. As SBTA pointed out, just north of town. Literally, about a 5 minute drive. Is a NATIONAL PARK. It has something called the Towpath Trail, which starts right in Downtown Cleveland, makes it's way 30 miles through the park, then continues on, right through Downtown Akron incidentally enough, and keeps going south for another 60 or so miles, passing several historic downtowns dating back to the mid-19th century, a revolutionary war battlefield, before ending in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

Just for background, check out this map from Google which shows shaded in green areas where you can bike. Compare that to many areas, and I'm certain you'll find this compares pretty well. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1022.../data=!5m1!1e3

- Kayaking
Check out this, and peruse the Summit Metroparks (and Cleveland Metroparks) websites in general. There's a reason why Northeast Ohio parks systems are generally voted among the Top 5, or even the best in all of North America.

Winter can stink, but ultimately a positive attitude determines a positive outcome. If there isn't snow on the ground and it's cold, if you actually wear a few layers, it's perfect running weather because you don't get tired, and I can almost guarantee you have an awesome Metropark (there are 21 within the Summit system) within 10 minutes of your house. If it's snowing, there are ample opportunities to snowshoe, XC ski, and even downhill ski within 20 minutes of Downtown Akron. Check out Brandywine and Boston Mills ski resorts. I'd say in terms of providing fitness opportunities, Northeast Ohio is one of the best places in America for this. You just have to be resourceful in seeking these places out.

One think I've noticed about NE Ohio in general is that it is a much more outdoors minded area than many at least in the eastern US.
Ohio Bicycling Clubs
All Ohio Running Clubs

This was the coldest February on record. Climate change could quite possibly be a thing, but it's more than likely that winters like this are not the norm. Looking at Akron's historical climate, there is usually not a single month where the average high is below freezing (32*).

Again. It's all where you're looking, and I'm curious where you lived beforehand? Do you generally cook at home? Ohio has a massive farmers market culture, and so fresh produce and locavore emphasis is considered one of it's strong suits. Look up the name of your town, and local farmers market, and you are likely to find something weekly that suits your need. Kent, Ohio, a college town (they aren't known for healthy eating), has a natural foods co-op. Come on now. I'm guessing there has to be something like that closer to you, or else you aren't looking hard enough. There is a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market located about 25 minutes north of Akron if you prefer a chain option. And I can express with confidence that there are sit down places around that have healthy options. Aladdin's Eatery, among others.

Where have you lived around before? I'm not saying your wrong, but in general Northeast Ohio traffic is considered among the best in the country for a metro area so large. Is there some type of alternative route you could take, or strategy you could use to have a more productive commute time?

I'm not meaning to lecture, but while the cliche is that the "Grass is greener on the other side", the truth is that the "Grass is greener where you water it". Unless you're willing to take the steps necessary to give this current location of yours a chance, it's likely that even when you search for greener pastures, they won't be what you were hoping they were.

What other things do you enjoy doing, or want in an area that Northeast Ohio/Akron doesn't seem to provide? Chances are, it probably has it.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:29 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,193,873 times
I love the sweeping generalizations. I know petulant children who can make a more compelling argument than this troll.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 45,629 times
I would join some young professionals groups to meet people and get info about things going on. As a "fit middle-aged male" I find myself super busy with things to do in Akron, but yeah I can understand that it'd be tough if you don't have a social group, so I'd start with developing one that way.

but honestly complaining about traffic here is insane

Old 05-06-2015, 09:59 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,498,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToDoInNEOhio View Post
Cross country ski or snowshoe in winter for immense aerobic exercise. There are many prepared cross country ski trails.

The ice in February is amazing. You just have to look for it at waterfalls, etc.

For the last couple years, I was able to hike out on to Lake Erie at Mentor Headlands State Park. A memorable activity.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:13 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,490,930 times
Don't get Lebron mad now with this post, he loves AK more then life

Old 05-06-2015, 11:15 AM

5,030 posts, read 5,712,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Cross country ski or snowshoe in winter for immense aerobic exercise. There are many prepared cross country ski trails.

The ice in February is amazing. You just have to look for it at waterfalls, etc.

For the last couple years, I was able to hike out on to Lake Erie at Mentor Headlands State Park. A memorable activity.
Did you feel at all at risk of ice cracking while out there or would there be any way of knowing? My older relatives would sometimes walk from Fairport Beach to the Lighthouse across the ice and back, but idk how advisable that would be.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,498,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Did you feel at all at risk of ice cracking while out there or would there be any way of knowing? My older relatives would sometimes walk from Fairport Beach to the Lighthouse across the ice and back, but idk how advisable that would be.
I only have even tried the last couple years after two long cold spells, both times around President's Day.

Other people are on the lake, there are even trails. I jump up and down on the ice periodically (with the perhaps stupid idea that I'll be able to fall prone if the ice breaks) and the ice doesn't even crack. I can see this because I've cleared the snow off the ice.

I wouldn't try it until the lake has been frozen for weeks, and certainly not after any days above freezing, although it still might be safe for several days.

Likely the thrill of possibly falling through heightens the excitement.

The ice ridges at Mentor Headlands are perhaps half a mile off shore, and are only 4-5 high.

Other places, such as Sims Park in Euclid, I've seen shore ice in the past over 15 feet high. It's great to climb.

With every passing year with global warming, experiencing these joys likely will become more rare.

Personally, I would be more worried about walking on ice in Fairport Harbor because it is down flow of the mouth of the Grand River.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 PM

50 posts, read 109,809 times
I think the OP is referring to bicyclist-friendly to having bike lanes on roads. I've lived in both California and Oregon and most roads have a separate lane for bicyclists. Of course the weather in these states is mild so many people bike year around to work. Would be impossible in Ohio due to the heavy snow in winter. So it probably isn't worth taxpayers money to widen existing roads to accommodate a bike lane.

It is more difficult to find healthy food restaurants in Ohio, the west coast has a different lifestyle in a lot of ways, Oregon is big in salmon, greens, California, Avocado was king as well as fruit, mexican foods. Ohio seemed to be more of a meat and potatoes type place, although I survived many years there as a vegetarian, so you can find healthier restaurants, you just may have to travel a little farther for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton