Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,009,304 times

Advertisements

Well, with all this Akron bashing from a new person or two I thought we ought to take a good look at our competition.

---

Wikipedia lays it out for us:

Quote:
Oconee County
Quote:
is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. It was created on February 25, 1875. As of the 2000 census, the population was 26,225. Census estimates for 2007 show a population of 31,367 [1]. The county seat is Watkinsville, Georgia[1].
---

Twenty six THOUSAND did you say? Oh MAN! That's like, almost as many people who go to the main campus of UA!!! Watkinsville, population 1,000, sounds the most exciting of all. There definitely must be great arts and night life in a town like that.

---

City Data drops some more great knowledge for us:

Quote:
Bush/Cheney (Republican): 72.5%
What's this? 73% voted Bush/Cheney last election? Definitely panacea there.

---

I wonder if there's much congestion there.

Oh, a quick look at the City Data map shows there's not even an Interstate in the entire county. Well no wonder there's no congestion, there's no roads! Fannnnnntastic!

---

I particularly like the town of Bishop. I hear crime is low there. What does City Data say?

Quote:
Population in July 2008: 167.
Oh! No wonder there's no crime. Everyone can fit in the same house!

---

I wonder how the arts stack up down there in panacea.

Let's check Whitepages.

I bet there are some GREAT nightclubs!

Quote:
Nope.
Seriously, that's what Whitepages said.

Orchestras?

Quote:
Nah.
Ballet?

Quote:
Nuh uh.
Umm, movie theater?

Quote:
Um, no.
Ok, well can I get a Blockbuster?

Quote:
Sorry.
Ok, ok, there's has to be at LEAST a Wal-Mart, right?

Quote:
No. But I'll try harder.

Quote:
Your search area was expanded to provide the best results possible
Quote:

All Listings

Wal-Mart Supercenter

Not Rated | Write a Review
1911 Epps Bridge Parkway, Athens, GA 30606 zip code

Walmart.com: Save money. Live better.

Ok, so it looks like if I wanted to buy so much as toilet paper in this one stop light hole in the wall, you have to drive to the next county over. Can't beat that!

---

Well, let's take a look at some pictures:

Ye Old Jail? I love it. Funny, I would've thought it was made of granite. And it appears they can't afford sidewalks. Odd.

Downtown Watkinsville! Fresh! Definitely puts Highland Square to shame, no doubt. Funny though, those don't seem be be made of granite either. Hmmphf.

And here we have the city hall of Bogart. It's so cute, the doors are its windows too! Hmm, still no granite.

And check out the houses! Who would want a tudor on Merriman when you could have a faux-brick facade McMansion like this! Now THAT's craftmanship.

Wait... wait... no, not even FAUX-granite. Arrrgghhh.

Well, let's say we want something of more limited means. Ah, here we go:

There we go. Surely some granite in that thar architectural gem.

Well, I can certainly see why someone would love a metropolis like greater Oconee County, Georgia. Definitely much, much better than Akron. Much better. I would prefer to have to travel for toilet paper too.

Last edited by SquareBetterThanAll; 11-23-2009 at 07:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,421,062 times
Such intricate architectural detail! Surely with such a large urban area the have room for some world class college campuses far superior to anything in Akron.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:30 PM

22 posts, read 47,219 times
HAAHA What you fail to realise is this ~ Only 10 min from Athens/UGA, Pretty low crime, alot of green space & people who are employed & can /do pay their taxes! Also one of the wealthiest counties in the area!! Sorry folks ... Good olde' Akron cannot compare!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,009,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parvonet View Post
HAAHA What you fail to realise is this ~ Only 10 min from Athens/UGA, Pretty low crime, alot of green space & people who are employed & can /do pay their taxes! Also one of the wealthiest counties in the area!! Sorry folks ... Good olde' Akron cannot compare!
I've been to Athens GA. That's like saying "only 10 minutes from Bowling Green!" I don't think I'd be proud of that.

Nice try though. Take your granite McMansions and your 2 people / 400 cows per square mile and get out of here - the pictures say enough.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,797 times
Auctually those pics are nice!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,421,062 times
To each their own I suppose...

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,293,028 times
I don't like bashing other areas, but this is pretty hilarious. To each their own, I guess.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM

229 posts, read 417,481 times
Duh

Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,039,195 times
Have to say comparing Akron to Oconee Co. is pretty amusing to me, nothing like those apples to oranges comparisons!! Even comparing Akron to Athens doesn't make a lot of sense. Only city in GA that makes any sense to compare Akron to would possibly be Augusta.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,115,324 times
Hilarious, OP. +1

I LOLd at the part about City Hall's doors also being its windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton