Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonya2366 View Post
I would much rather be in a state with low crime and less issues with racial activity
HAHA. Yeah..please name that state. Less "racial activity"? Wtf does that even mean? Does watching Hispanic guys work out make you nervous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go bucks douchebag
I would suggest looking into the Cincinnati area if I were, especially since the only thing you're looking into Akron for is the school. Cincinnati has the University of Cincinnati and Xavier University. There's always something going on around the area (and across the river in Newport) and there's a lot of parts that are considered family-oriented, so you'd be able to find safe places to live for sure for your child. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not going to bash the Akron area, since I've spent my whole life so far in the Canton/Massillon area. But, I wouldn't really recommend anyone moving to Akron. The economy is horrible right now in the area and there's not a whole lot going on in my opinion. Now, maybe that's what you guys are looking for when moving from Montana, I don't know, but If Ohio is your destination I'd recommend a different area.
Hey, thanks for your positive input, gobucks. So you don't live in Akron...perhaps you know nothing about it's economy then? Did you realize Akron is starving for young professionals with degrees? Perhaps not. Perhaps you lack any degree, and hence, sit around and mope like 70% of the jobless Ohioans?

Sorry, did I just judge you without knowing anything about you? Oh, wait, isn't that exactly what you just did to Akron in your last post?

And one more thing; Cinncinatti? Really? Cleveland is an hour north of Akron, and has CSU, Case Western, John Carroll, and others, and you are here making a case for Cincy? What's your motive? And don't even try and say Cincy is better off then Cleveland. Similar unemployment rates, and Clevealnd is a larger, more diverse and open minded city.

I have nothing against Cincy, but I am curious to find out why you have such a man crush on it. Especially being a life long "Masillion/Canton" resident.

Oh, and just for comparison's sake:

Unemployment rates:
Cleveland:7.6%
Cincy:7.7%

The Geography of a Recession - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

And just do you know, Cincy experienced a 2.5% jump in unemployment from the year before, and Cleveland experience a 1.2%. So it's really a dumb comparison, but if you're going to argue that very little is going on, solely based upon unemployment rates, then Cincy is slightly worse.

Get a clue, and post where you can contribute to discussion. I want to see data, not, "Well my brother says its real bad, and downtown looks dumpy."

So to sum up, yes, with an unemployment rate of 9.3%, Akron is not doing so hot, but who is? You do realize that Cali is seeing even higher rates then Akron? Check out my link above. Ohio is actually doing better than a lot of other states. But if your going to come in here and dump on Akron, atleast do it using facts.

God, I love this state, hate some of the imbeciles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
HAHA. Yeah..please name that state. Less "racial activity"? Wtf does that even mean? Does watching Hispanic guys work out make you nervous?

Hey, thanks for your positive input, gobucks. So you don't live in Akron...perhaps you know nothing about it's economy then? Did you realize Akron is starving for young professionals with degrees? Perhaps not. Perhaps you lack any degree, and hence, sit around and mope like 70% of the jobless Ohioans?

Sorry, did I just judge you without knowing anything about you? Oh, wait, isn't that exactly what you just did to Akron in your last post?

And one more thing; Cinncinatti? Really? Cleveland is an hour north of Akron, and has CSU, Case Western, John Carroll, and others, and you are here making a case for Cincy? What's your motive? And don't even try and say Cincy is better off then Cleveland. Similar unemployment rates, and Clevealnd is a larger, more diverse and open minded city.

I have nothing against Cincy, but I am curious to find out why you have such a man crush on it. Especially being a life long "Masillion/Canton" resident.

Oh, and just for comparison's sake:

Unemployment rates:
Cleveland:7.6%
Cincy:7.7%

The Geography of a Recession - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

And just do you know, Cincy experienced a 2.5% jump in unemployment from the year before, and Cleveland experience a 1.2%. So it's really a dumb comparison, but if you're going to argue that very little is going on, solely based upon unemployment rates, then Cincy is slightly worse.

Get a clue, and post where you can contribute to discussion. I want to see data, not, "Well my brother says its real bad, and downtown looks dumpy."

So to sum up, yes, with an unemployment rate of 9.3%, Akron is not doing so hot, but who is? You do realize that Cali is seeing even higher rates then Akron? Check out my link above. Ohio is actually doing better than a lot of other states. But if your going to come in here and dump on Akron, atleast do it using facts.

God, I love this state, hate some of the imbeciles.
Are you freakin kidding me?? You bash me because I suggested Cincinnati and didn't give praise to Akron???

For your information (since you judged me and and assumed I'm unemployed and do nothing), I go to law school at Ohio State University. I have a job where I work under a lawyer and do pretty well for myself. Also, I volunteer with a group to help underprivileged children in Columbus. Am I saying that to toot my own horn?, no, I'm just showing you I'm not a unemployed sap who is, what you called me in your title, a douchebag.

I'm from Massillon/Canton area, and live there when I'm home for the summer, that's how I feel I know about the area.

First off, I've been to Akron many times. Not a bad place, and I never said it was a bad place. I don't know why you assume I bashed it. No, I don't live in Akron, however I live in Canton(close to Akron) and have friends who graduated from U of Akron, who could not find a job. Maybe in some fields Akron is starving for young professionals, but it's not a gold mine of opportunity if that's what you're saying. That's just the truth. Canton is a dying city in many terms. Plain and simple. It's unfortunate, I really wish it wasn't the case,but since Canton and Akron are so close in many likes, and from what my college grad of friends have stated and for the fact I've been there, I just grouped them together and stuff. Jesus, if it's so wrong, correct me, don't crucify me.

As for Cincinnati. Where did I say Cincinnati is the best city in Ohio and Cleveland and Akron sucks?? Because you made it sound like I did just that. Well, I don't have a man-crush on the city, but... I LIKE CINCINNATI ALOT! I think it's a fun place to be. That's it. I think it's a fun place to be and decided to let someone else know my opinion because maybe that'd like it too. As for my motive, that WAS MY MOTIVE, to give people from Montana another place to look. That's it. Being that their from Montana, they probably haven't really thought about Cincinnati, so since I like the city so well I thought I'd recommend it. I didn't think that was such a freakin crime! You ripped me to shreds because I recommended a city not to your likings, thanks.

I think Cleveland is a great city by the way, since you brought that up. In fact, my family holds season tickets to the Browns, so I love going up there and having an afternoon in the city. My only gripe about Cleveland is the Lake-effect snow, but maybe I shouldn't of said that because maybe I'll be a douchebag for not liking mother natures lake-effect snow. Oops. I have friends who have graduated from JCU and such, great schools. NO, I didn't recommend a city so close to Akron, BUT YOU could of instead of ripping me apart. Why was it so bad I didn't mention anything of Cleveland but recommended Cincinnati???

When I said about "nothing really going on" in Akron, I meant nightlife (I'm sure that pissed you off reading that and you'll rip me apart again...great). Not Life itself. I just feel Cincinnati has a great downtown and right across the river is two Kentucky cities. Like I said, Cleveland is cool, but I didn't mention it, but YOU could of.

Oh, and also. I never disrespectfully ripped on Akron. This thread said "Your input!", so I gave my take. I didn't rip Akron as much as you're making it seem to be, and since I haven't seen other threads from them, I gave my take and recommended a city in the state their looking to move to. I'm pretty sure the people who made the thread would appreciate my 2 cents. They may not agree with it, but I'm sure they appreciate my response.

And thanks for calling me a douchebag by the way (and imbecile), because I guess I really did merit being called something disrespectful...

Last edited by gobucks86; 06-17-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Are you freakin kidding me?? You bash me because I suggested Cincinnati and didn't give praise to Akron???

For your information (since you judged me and and assumed I'm unemployed and do nothing), I go to law school at Ohio State University. I have a job where I work under a lawyer and do pretty well for myself. Also, I volunteer with a group to help underprivileged children in Columbus. Am I saying that to toot my own horn?, no, I'm just showing you I'm not a unemployed sap who is, what you called me in your title, a douchebag.
Hm, perhaps I should reiterate my original point in that regard. If you noticed, after I called you out as a negative nancy without a degree, I said the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks
My point was, just as I can't possibly know enough to about you to comment on your current situation, you might not know enough about the city of Akron to dub it as, well a place with "not a lot going on". That's fine, but you should really clarify what that means. Now I know you meant night life. But that wording is so vague. For all I knew you could've been referring to Real Estate, downtown revival, universities, etc.

Quote:
I'm from Massillon/Canton area, and live there when I'm home for the summer, that's how I feel I know about the area.
OK.
Quote:
First off, I've been to Akron many times. Not a bad place, and I never said it was a bad place. I don't know why you assume I bashed it. No, I don't live in Akron, however I live in Canton(close to Akron) and have friends who graduated from U of Akron, who could not find a job. Maybe in some fields Akron is starving for young professionals, but it's not a gold mine of opportunity if that's what you're saying. That's just the truth. Canton is a dying city in many terms. Plain and simple. It's unfortunate, I really wish it wasn't the case,but since Canton and Akron are so close in many likes, and from what my college grad of friends have stated and for the fact I've been there, I just grouped them together and stuff. Jesus, if it's so wrong, correct me, don't crucify me.
No harm no foul. If you want to base your opinion of a city on a few trips and the opinions of some friends then thats fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and some people just don't enjoy certain cities as much as others.

By the way, I never felt you "bashed" Akron. I just felt your attitude sounded odd. I guess I misread you. Either way, I don't think you understand Akron.
Quote:
As for Cincinnati. Where did I say Cincinnati is the best city in Ohio and Cleveland and Akron sucks?? Because you made it sound like I did just that.
You didn't. I just found it strking that you wrote off Akron(that wasn't my issue) but then completely ignored a city an hour to the north when you came up with an alternative. Especialy considering you're from Masillon. I guess I'm just not used to people being that into Cincy.
Quote:
Well, I don't have a man-crush on the city, but... I LIKE CINCINNATI ALOT!
Yeah, but do you like like Cincinatti?
Quote:
I think it's a fun place to be. That's it. I think it's a fun place to be and decided to let someone else know my opinion because maybe that'd like it too. As for my motive, that WAS MY MOTIVE, to give people from Montana another place to look. That's it. Being that their from Montana, they probably haven't really thought about Cincinnati, so since I like the city so well I thought I'd recommend it. I didn't think that was such a freakin crime! You ripped me to shreds because I recommended a city not to your likings, thanks.
Cool, I'm glad you liked it. But you could've suggested it without putting down Akron. Remember, this is the Akron forum, and you attract more bees with honey then you do with vinegar or whatever my grandma used to say...

Quote:
I think Cleveland is a great city by the way, since you brought that up. In fact, my family holds season tickets to the Browns, so I love going up there and having an afternoon in the city. My only gripe about Cleveland is the Lake-effect snow, but maybe I shouldn't of said that because maybe I'll be a douchebag for not liking mother natures lake-effect snow. Oops. I have friends who have graduated from JCU and such, great schools. NO, I didn't recommend a city so close to Akron, BUT YOU could of instead of ripping me apart. Why was it so bad I didn't mention anything of Cleveland but recommended Cincinnati???
Okay. Hey, OP, look at Cleveland. There, are you happy? This person posted a few months ago anyways, they're probably already in Akron somewhere.
Quote:
When I said about "nothing really going on" in Akron, I meant nightlife (I'm sure that pissed you off reading that and you'll rip me apart again...great). Not Life itself. I just feel Cincinnati has a great downtown and right across the river is two Kentucky cities. Like I said, Cleveland is cool, but I didn't mention it, but YOU could of.
See, now that's a VERY important thing to mention. As I said before, "nothing really going on" can be interpreted many ways. As I said before you don't get Akron. It isn't a huge city like Cleveland, Columbus, or even Cincy. You're not going to see a whole bunch of night clubs until more student apartments move into downtown. The city is very low key, but to say that it's much different economically than any of the 3 C's is going out on a limb.
Quote:
Oh, and also. I never disrespectfully ripped on Akron. This thread said "Your input!", so I gave my take. I didn't rip Akron as much as you're making it seem to be, and since I haven't seen other threads from them, I gave my take and recommended a city in the state their looking to move to. I'm pretty sure the people who made the thread would appreciate my 2 cents. They may not agree with it, but I'm sure they appreciate my response.
I'm sure they appreciate it too. Now go get your law degree and quit arguing with a simple engineering undergraduate like myself.
Quote:
And thanks for calling me a douchebag by the way (and imbecile), because I guess I really did merit being called something disrespectful...
No problem. Eloquence never really was my strong suit.

Hey, also, I'm curious what degrees your friends got from UA. I know a lot of kids are struggling finding degrees, but from my understanding the engineering students are getting offers left and right. If you heard contrary I'd love to know. Job availability will likely effect whether or not I go to grad school.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 PM

436 posts, read 1,648,203 times
Holy jesus.
Settle down you two.

Atleast the cities in Ohio arent doing as bad as Detroit supposedly is doing. Wait - I'll probably get reemed for that....

I can't say much for Cincy because I have only been through the town once, but Akron is not a dump by any means.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
I had two friends from Richmond visit and we went downtown for the lock 3 concert, and a ballgame was going on at the same time both places were packed with people they were very impressed with Akron's downtown and all of the people who attended ........and neither of you are impressing me about your degree's I have many friends who have degrees and think they should automatically be offered the world......yeah their house just was repossessed account of they thought they deserved a position....not a job!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 AM

10 posts, read 41,251 times
Akron is a dump ! A ghetto and a pit ! Don't rent there- go to stow or hudson- cuy falls is becoming a pit too -

I'm moving away to another state- it's getting bad here.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:20 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjolantern View Post
Akron is a dump ! A ghetto and a pit ! Don't rent there- go to stow or hudson- cuy falls is becoming a pit too -

Hi welcome to an egregious generalization.

That's as bad as saying all of Akron is hoity toity because the houses on Merriman are all $500,000+.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:24 PM

436 posts, read 1,648,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjolantern View Post

You should move away.
BYE!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:47 PM

119 posts, read 273,415 times
Personally, I am not from the Akron area but live there now because I went to the University of Akron and ended up landing a job in the area just after. I have lived on the lake and in Columbus for many years, and honestly feel like Columbus is much better than Akron. There is nothing to do here (compared to Columbus, that is). If you like the lake and want watersports, go more towards Cleveland or Sandusky, but there will be nothing much to do there in the winter. Columbus is, by far, the best city in Ohio. Akron, it seems, is a black hole. If you grew up here, I am sure it is great because it is "home." But for those of us who are not from Akron, it isn't that wonderful. I am planning my move at the end of this year.

Best of luck w/ whatever you choose - those are just my two cents!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 PM

Ray, you're totally entitled to your opinion, but do you really think you are going to make many friends on the AKRON boards by calling Akron a 'black hole?'

The truth is, Akron and Columbus each have their own perks. One could easily make the case as to why Columbus is the worst city in Ohio, and likewise for Akron. It all boils down to opinions. And just because you are entitled to one, doesn't mean you should insult other cities, especially in places where you know people who love that city will read it. I think that last post was immature, at best.

On a side note: I live in Akron and go to UA, but I'm not from here. I love it. Perhaps you've found a bias toward your own hometown? You don't see any of us going on the Columbus boards and calling C-bus a 'black hole'. Perhaps you lack some sort of class that Akronites hold dear.

Bye, bye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton