Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:39 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
Cleveland is not even comparable to Columbus unless you want to go to an Indians or Cavs game.

You practically have to step over the homeless in downtown Cleveland. Columbus is exceptionally clean in comparison. The "nightlife" in Cleveland is a joke. West 6th is horrible and arguably no better than Akron nightlife. There are some good restaurants in Cleveland, but just as many in Columbus. If you're young and single, there's just no comparison, sorry. You might as well be comparing Akron to Columbus.

This video about sums it up.
Please. That video is satire!

I know both cities well, and stand by my comment that Cleveland has more for entertainment than Columbus. Much more actually, and I know many people who have lived in both places that would agree with me. The only exception would be for college students, for obvious reasons. That is all I will say about this since this the AKRON forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 10:58 AM

157 posts, read 284,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Please. That video is satire!

I know both cities well, and stand by my comment that Cleveland has more for entertainment than Columbus. Much more actually, and I know many people who have lived in both places that would agree with me. The only exception would be for college students, for obvious reasons. That is all I will say about this since this the AKRON forum.
Taken directly from Census.Gov.

Columbus has 134,681 people between the ages of 20-29.

Cleveland has 50,626.

Even if you doubled the population of Cleveland to make up for the size difference, that would still only give Cleveland 100k people in that age bracket, Columbus still beats it by 34,000 even after adjusted for population differences.

Sorry, no comparison. Columbus is a far younger city which translates into better bars, clubs, and entertainment prospects for young people.

There is virtually no nightlife in Cleveland. West 6th has 2-3 decent bars. When I lived in Akron, nobody ever wanted to go out in Cleveland because the minor upgrade it was from Akron was simply not worth the drive.

Columbus is cleaner, better weather (much less snow), more to do, and better suburbs.

Ask any person other than the "many" people you know who have lived in both cities, and you won't find a single person who would actually claim Cleveland is remotely comparable to Columbus.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
HAHA. Yeah..please name that state. Less "racial activity"? Wtf does that even mean?
I think I know what she means. Guess I'm just a little smarter than you..

Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
I lived in Akron for 5 years, went to college there etc. If there's anyway you can get to Columbus, it's a THOUSAND times better than Akron. I would not live in Akron rent and grocery free. Then again, I'm single and probably looking for different things than you and your husband.

If you like to do things, good luck, there's absolutely nothing to do. Not that Columbus is the most fabulous place, but it's infinitely better than NE Ohio, including Cleveland.

Not to sound harsh, but Communications is the wrong thing to major in if you want to make money.
....which is why I didnt go that route for a job. I'm in Advertising. I graduated with a Communications major back in 2003. Re-read the original post.
There is nothing wrong with Akron, btw.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,116 times
Thumbs down Stay outta Akron

I moved out of Akron about 3yrs. ago. My b/f went to Akron U, the school is great, the area....not so much. We lived off on Arlington st. About 5-10 min. from the college. If you want to see drug deals going down outside your house, prostitutes walking down your street and getting picked up, then that's where you need to be. If not stay away. We also moved, because my son was starting Kindergarten and checking the schools out was crazy. For instance in the cafateria if someone steals your food, you raise 3 fingers. You are recommended not to "overly" dress your child, because he might get beat up for his shoes or clothes. Crazy! I knew then and there my baby would not be attending Akron public schools.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddbrigh View Post
I moved out of Akron about 3yrs. ago. My b/f went to Akron U, the school is great, the area....not so much. We lived off on Arlington st. About 5-10 min. from the college. If you want to see drug deals going down outside your house, prostitutes walking down your street and getting picked up, then that's where you need to be. If not stay away. We also moved, because my son was starting Kindergarten and checking the schools out was crazy. For instance in the cafateria if someone steals your food, you raise 3 fingers. You are recommended not to "overly" dress your child, because he might get beat up for his shoes or clothes. Crazy! I knew then and there my baby would not be attending Akron public schools.
Just about every mid to large size city in the United States has these problems if you're in the wrong part of town. It is certainly not unique to Akron, which is actually pretty tame compared to a lot of places.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddbrigh View Post
I hate to be offensive, but that is a downright retarded generalization. South Arlington 5-10 mins from UA is a terrible neighborhood, and I'm sure the schools match it. But to sum up the entire school system because of what you heard about the school in one of the *worst* neighborhoods? That doesn't make any more sense than to assume everyone in Akron lives in million dollar homes because you live on upper Merriman.

That being said, I'll flip the script and say go check out King School, which has none of those problems and as many Audis and Saabs pull up as beaters. But that wouldn't be a fair stereotype to make either, would it?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Back in the late 60s, my (then) wife and I were at a party where there was a couple that had just moved to the area from another state. I think it was California. The wife asked the group, "What do you do on weekends around here?". The silence was deafening! The blank stares traded back and forth among the natives was comical. A couple years later I joined the Air Force, and had a chance to see other parts of the country. When I got out, I came back and lived for two years in the Canton area, then moved to Florida. While I have since moved to MA and MD, where I curently live, I have no desire to ever live in the NEO area again.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
Does anyone else want to bring up this thread again in order to share their own random negative memories about the city and region in general?

Akron has a university with almost 30,000 students. Chances are, it isn't the same city it was in the late 60's. Can we move on now?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:00 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Back in the late 60s, my (then) wife and I were at a party where there was a couple that had just moved to the area from another state. I think it was California. The wife asked the group, "What do you do on weekends around here?". The silence was deafening! The blank stares traded back and forth among the natives was comical. A couple years later I joined the Air Force, and had a chance to see other parts of the country. When I got out, I came back and lived for two years in the Canton area, then moved to Florida. While I have since moved to MA and MD, where I curently live, I have no desire to ever live in the NEO area again.
Well good for you! I hate Florida, MA (tax out the a$$), MD way too expensive. Florida is actually declining in population, and was also on the list of states that are struggling the most! I moved to Ohio and love it here and have a very successful job. I am currently in Michigan on business and can't wait to leave. Thank god I am only here for the weekend.

Ten most troubled states in the U.S. - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ten-most-troubled-states-in-cnnm-2889165804.html?x=0&.v=7 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton