Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 44,532 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move back to Ohio. One of us would be working in Cleveland and the other in Canton. We'd like to split the commute (although are ok being closer to Cleveland than Canton), and we're looking to spend no more than $225k on a 3 bed/ 2 bath home in a low-crime area with a great school district. However, we don't really want to live in Summit County, which complicates things!

We're also very concerned about resale value, as we likely won't live in the area for more than 3 years.We'd also like an area that's accessible to the Cuyahoga Valley Park.

If anyone could suggest areas that might meet our criteria, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by ScarletandGray; 05-29-2007 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 PM

87 posts, read 329,223 times
With your budget kind of a tuffy. But here are some areas:

Macedoina (very tip of cuyahoga/summit county line)
Twinsburg
Hudson (see above/summit)
Brecksville
Independence

Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 AM

28 posts, read 145,449 times
Default Caviar Taste with Tuna Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejanelle1 View Post
With your budget kind of a tuffy. But here are some areas:

Macedoina (very tip of cuyahoga/summit county line)
Twinsburg
Hudson (see above/summit)
Brecksville
Independence
Agreed with above although 225 won't get you far. I think Hudson is the best school out of these but Brecksville or Indy would be the easiest commute to split.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Since we're really trying to avoid Summit County, we think Brecksville looks like a good option, as does Hinckley.

I was under the impression that $225k would be sufficient, but after checking out the areas you were kind enough to mention, I guess that's just not realistic. We would be comfortable spending up to $375k (absolute max), but would want a lot more house (4 bed, 2.5 baths with a decent-sized yard). However, we are concerned about resale, since it seems like in that area of Ohio, the higher the price, the longer it's on the market (though I realize the market isn't great around the country).

With a higher budget, are there any other areas we should consider? We'll be visiting in July to search for homes.

Again, I really appreciate the help!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:26 PM

87 posts, read 329,223 times
Most people at that price point want the house and the SCHOOLS!

HANDS DOWN Solon is the best and is nationally ranked. Every parent I know wants in there. It sits right next to Twinsburg.

I don't know why you dont want to be in summit, but Brecksville is okay school wise. Indepence has a good school district.

You'll just have to visit to see which area feels like "home" to you.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,344 times
It seems like I'm always posting this map

If you can see (I know the print is a bit small) the words on the map you can see some of the communities along I-77 (AKA Cleveland-Akron-Canton Corridor) that are generally the same and between Cleveland and Canton. Canton is just south of Akron, but not on this map.

Communities like Northfield, Macedonia, Glenwillow and Twinsburg may also be of interest.

I just posted this to give you the names of some of the other communities in between the two cities.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3456/clevakrdh2.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 PM

I guess I should have clarified that we still want great schools, but would expect a nicer home for the price

Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 18,536 times
Have you considered Medina County? Try Wadsworth - You can get a beautiful newer home here for 200K and the schools are ranked excellent, same as Hudson, Solon etc. The real estate taxes are half, and it is more of a rural feel... if you like that... with a charming small town area.

Lots of growth and building in the area so bargains abound. We have a new 4 bedroom, 2500 sf plus finished basement for about 230K... They have their own electric coop - utilitities are supercheap. It takes me a half hour to get to my friend who lives near Canton.. My husband is in Downtown Akron in about 15 minutes.

It depends on what side of Cleveland the job is on, but this could be convenient.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 PM

16 posts, read 81,160 times
I second the vote for Wadsworth. We love it here! Excellent schools, friendly people, close to everything. Plus, you get SOOO much more house for your money. Newer 2500 sq. ft.+ 4 bedrooms are going for $225 and up. Lots to choose from too, as most people don't know what a great community this is! Good luck.

Denise

Old 08-18-2007, 11:55 AM

566 posts, read 603,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDTwinsMom View Post
I second the vote for Wadsworth. We love it here! Excellent schools, friendly people, close to everything. Plus, you get SOOO much more house for your money. Newer 2500 sq. ft.+ 4 bedrooms are going for $225 and up. Lots to choose from too, as most people don't know what a great community this is! Good luck.

Denise
I agree, Wadsworth is definitely in your price range, and the school system is AMAZING. If you can't find a house in your price range there, I suggest Norton. Its just outside of Wadsworth and has a comperable school system.

I live in Canal Fulton, the school system is pretty good here, but its a small town and not close to Cleveland. Its not far from Canton, though and 21 runs through Canal Fulton, so its an easy route to Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton