Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:35 AM

6 posts, read 16,918 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida and I'm going through a divorce. Need a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:08 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,036,385 times
Why are you choosing Ohio randomly coming from Florida? What kind of work/profession are you in? Are you okay w/not having hot & humid weather year-round and actually only a few months of the year? Can you deal w/the cold and snow of winter? Less sunshine?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,419,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Why are you choosing Ohio randomly coming from Florida? What kind of work/profession are you in? Are you okay w/not having hot & humid weather year-round and actually only a few months of the year? Can you deal w/the cold and snow of winter? Less sunshine?
Ohio is not Anchorage, Alaska. Here's a better question:

When would you rather be stuck inside: March-November with the A/C on or October-April with the heat on? I don't see a difference.

Besides the weather, I see no reason to live down south. If you can get a job up here then you will enjoy it. I have family down in hillbilly land and they absolutely hate it.

To each their own.

I agree that this is a little random.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm in nursing. Hope I can find work. The reason I chose your area is to be closer to my son. He lives in WV and I don't really like it there so I chose to be a little futher north.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fLOHIO71? View Post
I'm in nursing.
Then finding a job shouldn't be a huge issue in NEO(or most parts of the country).

Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Thank you. Do you know of a nice country town I could move to?

Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Do you know of a nice country town I could move to?
That's such a tough question to answer! Much of SE Ohio is part of Appalachia and has some pretty countryside! Ohio U's campus is gorgeous, btw! Not to mention you'll be closer to West Virginia.

Or you could move up to wine country. Northeastern Ohio(nearest the Lake) has some of the best soil for grape growing. My roots are up there so I know that area best.

The charm of rural Ohio is it's strength. You just can't go wrong!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:36 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,144,474 times
welcome I am also a transplant from florida here to ohio and I had to move up here cause my husband s people are from here and yes ohio is beautiful but just be preparred for snow and cooler and much cooler weather than florida although it does get a little steamy here at times in the summer we have already been in the high 80s here . I m in springfield and that is about an hr from columbus and I know we are building a state of the art hospital in springfield and you should not have a problem finding a job here in the hospital . If you are serious welcome to ohio and you should love it here I do . I lived for 20 yrs in florida and lost my 40 k a yr job and then lost my house which 8.00 an hr could not make the payments for . then my husband lost his job which was paying 50 k a yr. Floridas economic downfall really killed us . we seem to do better here .

Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Oh thank you phonelady. Nice to have a little encouragement. I'm kinda lost right now and don't know what the heck I'm doin'. The weather will probably be a problem for me. I grew up in Maine but I've been in Fl. for 26 yrs. I really miss the change of seasons tho and the snow. The heat down here is awful and gettn worse each yr. Very humid! I'll Check Springfield out.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:33 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,036,385 times
Quote:
I'm in nursing. Hope I can find work. The reason I chose your area is to be closer to my son. He lives in WV and I don't really like it there so I chose to be a little futher north.
Depending on where your son is at in WV and how close you want to be will help in finding the right city for you in OH. For instance, if he's in Huntington or Charleston and you're okay w/being a few hours away, you could pretty much choose anywhere from Cincinnati to Canton. On the other hand, if he's in say Morgantown and you want to be only an hour or so away, it's going to limit your options substantially - pretty much Steubenville and a handful of other small towns along the Ohio River in the eastern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton