Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 11:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Florida is flat as a fritter. In truth, get 100 feet off the beach and it turns into one dull place in terms of scenery. And the further south you get, the uglier the vegetation gets. The highest point in Florida is 344 feet.
The southern halves of MS, AL, and GA are pretty much the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 12:10 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The southern halves of MS, AL, and GA are pretty much the same way.

True. Montgomery's elevation is about 250 feet. But Alabama turns into a completely different state when you get to around Prattville. You might as well draw the demarcation line with a Sharpie.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
True. Montgomery's elevation is about 250 feet. But Alabama turns into a completely different state when you get to around Prattville. You might as well draw the demarcation line with a Sharpie.
Yep. We don't have those big limestone rocks down here that you guys 'up nawth' do.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:03 AM

35 posts, read 38,930 times
yep Prattville to the beautiful area around Red Mountain is mega-hilly - then the area gets flat as heck in west TN, real flat

Old 05-27-2021, 10:13 AM

717 posts, read 452,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option Trader View Post
Saw this thread but it's over 11 years old!

During the very recent months, lots of FL residents and natives are moving northward TO paces like AL (e.g. south near the FL line, Panhandle, Mobile Bay/Orange, and to mention nice cities like Huntsville around the TN river basin/Lake Martin).

That said, FL is nothing like AL and AL really nothing like FL notwithstanding a few gulf areas. FL is getting overrun with folks from NJ NY DC and even CA, and I can tell you for a fact that most residents in medium sized AL cities and smaller towns don't want to see these people coming (notwithstanding university/research towns and cities....academics, health, science/space research).
I think there’s some misconceptions about people from the DC NY NJ of being quick to pick on Alabama and calling them backwards hillbillies or mocking their religious beliefs, or rubbing in “not so open-minded” political correctness, driving up Govt costs, housing costs, altering places with a long history, and that these cesspools are the disgruntled inner city decay in the Northeast they are trying to leave behind.

I think this picture is what Alabama doesn’t want. The misconception is to think these people from the Northeast are all the same (they are really not), and like you said, university and space research creates commonalities where there is a connection. In fact in my FaceBook groups friends of friends I can connect a buddy in Alabama to a friend of a friend in New York the quickest by going through the University system. I did this social media experiment a few years ago and I thought it was really cool. And you acknowledged university skills and that confirms there’s openness to coming to Alabama and if you come down in good spirits you’ll make friends in Alabama no matter where you came in from or what your accent is.

Also Alabama needs to stay Alabama. If Alabama decides to change something it’s not gonna be because people flocked in, it will be because longtime Alabamans sit down and decide on something together. Alabamans don’t want to be mean to anyone, they want religious liberties, freedom faith, the right to defend their way of life as the US Constitution was written. I’m from up north but I came to understand this and had one of the most fun day trips of my life on a road trip with Alabama buddies to the Gulf and my mix tape of classic rock with the Windows down.

Now, people in places like New York and where I live (Connecticut) we can say we are open to everyone coming in, but are we really so open-minded? Or is it really that we don’t have the same scenario to make that determination? People from down South don’t flock to the north nearly as much as the reverse, so we aren’t any more open-minded than you guys are. We don’t have a situation where people with different values from the locals are entering and then changing the landscape. Add to that, we have some of the most dilapidated streets in America in northeast cities and they are blocks away from nice places and nobody criticizes this the way people pick at the south all because of the talk of the politician having a D instead of an R. Now that’s the truth.

And lastly, You folks can be fun friendly as it gets. People don’t know this. Also sense of humor... if you have gas and you get a burp or gas and you are afraid you can’t hold it to the bathroom, you won’t feel judged over this down south. Nobody cares what you gotta do it’s you do your own thing...

Also one final thing I didn’t discuss. Florida... Florida is not Alabama and it also isn’t New York. Florida is transient. Alabama and New York/Connecticut have something in common that Florida does not: more history, landmarks, old restored buildings.

Last edited by Siberiaboy; 05-27-2021 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-27-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post

Also one final thing I didn’t discuss. Florida... Florida is not Alabama and it also isn’t New York. Florida is transient. Alabama and New York/Connecticut have something in common that Florida does not: more history, landmarks, old restored buildings.
Most of Florida's history is in the northern part of the state, where it shares its roots with south Alabama and south Georgia.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:51 PM

35 posts, read 38,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most of Florida's history is in the northern part of the state, where it shares its roots with south Alabama and south Georgia.
yeah, you would think however that Florida had no history until the current invasion. FL has a very rich history but transplants moving here actually think it doesn't.

One thing for sure is that we don't want FL to morph into the NE corridor, and damn sure dont want that to happen to the Panhandle or Tampa Bay.....you can have Miami Dade and Boca lol

Old 05-28-2021, 04:37 AM

717 posts, read 452,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbogoshian View Post
yeah, you would think however that Florida had no history until the current invasion. FL has a very rich history but transplants moving here actually think it doesn't.

One thing for sure is that we don't want FL to morph into the NE corridor, and damn sure dont want that to happen to the Panhandle or Tampa Bay.....you can have Miami Dade and Boca lol
Many parts of Miami actually vote politically similarly to most of Alabama because of Cuban American anti-communism and also on faith they strongly fight for life of unborn babies.

As for Northern Florida you’re right there’s some history
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Folks_at_Home

Also there’s cold springs (Alachua), limestone caverns and beautiful sinkholes, quiet white sand gulf beaches, southern hospitality, long-standing places to eat with yummy gulf shrimp and fresh catfish, real aquifers , hunting grounds and wildlife fun, old buildings and northern part similar to Alabama

New Florida: Boca, West Palm, Broward, touristy Disney World but come on everyone likes Disney if it wasn’t so darn expensive. It used to be cheap and for Florida residents we got family 4 seasons passes when I lived there. For the same deal it got loads more expensive.

Disney thinks its Grand Floridian resort gives you the feeling of Old Florida and you can decide https://www.reservations.com/hotel/d...%20Spa_1760150 Here’s old Florida

Last edited by Siberiaboy; 05-28-2021 at 04:56 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbogoshian View Post

It is a little annoying that so many Americans think Florida is only about beaches, palm trees, and Disney World.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:35 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option Trader View Post
Saw this thread but it's over 11 years old!

During the very recent months, lots of FL residents and natives are moving northward TO paces like AL (e.g. south near the FL line, Panhandle, Mobile Bay/Orange, and to mention nice cities like Huntsville around the TN river basin/Lake Martin).

That said, FL is nothing like AL and AL really nothing like FL notwithstanding a few gulf areas. FL is getting overrun with folks from NJ NY DC and even CA, and I can tell you for a fact that most residents in medium sized AL cities and smaller towns don't want to see these people coming (notwithstanding university/research towns and cities....academics, health, science/space research).
The OP first and last posted in 2010. Great replies and s discussions and kudos to moderators for not closing thread as topic has renewed interest obviously. Lots of changes since 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama