Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:09 AM

35 posts, read 38,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It is a little annoying that so many Americans think Florida is only about beaches, palm trees, and Disney World.
Nay, it's REALLY annoying! but the transplants now from places like Chicagoland, NY NJ CT DC and CA (now) actually still believe this crap that you pointed out.

Funny thing though is that most of the people that live/ or from Alabama, Georgia, TN, Louisiana, South Carolina, Arkansas, all of Tennessee, and TX, ALREADY know that this is far from the truth about Florida. So which people don't have a clue? it ain't southerners for the most part - they know better about the history of the south in general in the first place. We southerners aren't renting Uhauls to move to beautiful places like NYC, Basten, Jersey, LoungGisland, St Paul, Portland or beautiful Seattle. We southerners are mostly welcoming but if we wanted to live in the culture of places like Chicago or NYC, we would be on our way. Don't move to AL or FL and attempt to thwart our history, customs and co-opt our culture. Don't move to the south and moan that you can't find any good cheese curds, NY-style pizza, or a "decent corner deli". For the most part, southerners don't engage in that kind of reverse "expectation" when we move outside the south, or even visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 07:59 AM

717 posts, read 452,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It is a little annoying that so many Americans think Florida is only about beaches, palm trees, and Disney World.
It is advertised that way by the tourism industry and part of the issue is Florida isn’t really a frugal state. Public spending is not low it’s just levied by taxes on visitors and the Florida’s turnpike toll system.

So advertising Disney and beaches is the state Govt money base in Florida on hotel taxes and corporate taxes. Florida doesn’t have a state individual income tax, Alabama does I think.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
It is advertised that way by the tourism industry and part of the issue is Florida isn’t really a frugal state. Public spending is not low it’s just levied by taxes on visitors and the Florida’s turnpike toll system.

So advertising Disney and beaches is the state Govt money base in Florida on hotel taxes and corporate taxes. Florida doesn’t have a state individual income tax, Alabama does I think.
Florida doesn't have a state income tax, but they get the revenue from other areas, like permits, fees, and property taxes. I have to get permits for things in Florida that I'd never consider getting them for in Alabama.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:35 PM

118 posts, read 69,012 times
Red face Pga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
In light of this thread's renewal and in case it comes up again....
1. I grew up in Florida and agree with much of the demographic information Option Trader provided.
2. I have lived in AL for over 30 years now.
3. I often vacation in the panhandle of FL and beaches of AL

So.... for those living in FL and thinking of moving to north FL and especially around the panhandle or anywhere in AL then the following applies and you should keep this in mind.

1. We are all a bunch of dumb, backwards, inbread rednecks.
2. We all have guns and consider it a sport to shoot 'yankees'.
3. It is ALWAYS 95+ degrees and 90% humidity all of the time.
4. Tornados occur regularly and throughout the year.
5. As soon as you get off of the highway you'll have to drive on dirt or gravel roads.
6. We have three stores in both areas: Tractor Supply, Rural King, and Piggly Wiggly.
7. Unless it is college football season then the only entertainment is watching fireflies in the early evening or tying a string on a Junebug's leg and watch it fly in circles.
8. We don't care how it was done from the place you once lived.
9. Only a few of us have most of our teeth.
10. Have you seen the movie Deliverance?

What about the golf tournament, selling T-shirts and so on?

Old 05-30-2021, 02:33 AM

508 posts, read 615,653 times
Alabama actually has decent paying jobs and several industries. Florida has seasonal tourism jobs that pay horribly.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:19 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
6. We have three stores in both areas: Tractor Supply, Rural King, and Piggly Wiggly.
7. Unless it is college football season then the only entertainment is watching fireflies in the early evening or tying a string on a Junebug's leg and watch it fly in circles.

LOL - there is a Tractor Supply pretty close to where I live, and Piggly Wiggly is the nearest grocery store (and has a pretty damned good beer and wine selection I might add!).

Old 05-31-2021, 07:47 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Alabama actually has decent paying jobs and several industries. Florida has seasonal tourism jobs that pay horribly.
Florida is a PAradise, if you wanna get rich here because of Work or Your own enterprise...Go west young man, Fl is for people that wanna enjoy Nature, and have the means to live here decently. than simple.

I moved to Fl in the 70's....I had a ball along the way and then I retired 10 yrs ago, and that's when TRUE FUN Started to hit home.

I live in Paradise, no 2 ways about it.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:12 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbogoshian View Post
Nay, it's REALLY annoying! but the transplants now from places like Chicagoland, NY NJ CT DC and CA (now) actually still believe this crap that you pointed out.

Funny thing though is that most of the people that live/ or from Alabama, Georgia, TN, Louisiana, South Carolina, Arkansas, all of Tennessee, and TX, ALREADY know that this is far from the truth about Florida. So which people don't have a clue? it ain't southerners for the most part - they know better about the history of the south in general in the first place. We southerners aren't renting Uhauls to move to beautiful places like NYC, Basten, Jersey, LoungGisland, St Paul, Portland or beautiful Seattle. We southerners are mostly welcoming but if we wanted to live in the culture of places like Chicago or NYC, we would be on our way. Don't move to AL or FL and attempt to thwart our history, customs and co-opt our culture. Don't move to the south and moan that you can't find any good cheese curds, NY-style pizza, or a "decent corner deli". For the most part, southerners don't engage in that kind of reverse "expectation" when we move outside the south, or even visit.
It's Longuyland. How can a person prevent you from having history?

Better late than never. I only recently learned that Camptown is an unincorporated place near Towanda, PA, where Stephen Foster once lived.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:10 PM

118 posts, read 69,012 times
I live in rural, Northern California and we have gravel roads, no st lights, bugs and lots of dust in the summer and people are put out when they come from the "Bay Area". I love it here it's so diversified if you are into out out like outdoor sports, beauty of the mountains, water, forest and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama