Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Over the years, I've puzzled too many people as to why I've traveled to so many 3rd world countries, each and every one I've enjoyed. Why? I wanted to see what this country will look some day.

Fasten your seatbelts, you ain't seen nothin' yet! More shocks and surprises are on the way! The Central-American-style chicken buses can't come soon enough, I miss them terribly! What fun!

Here 'ya go tijlover.....

Chicken Bus Photo Gallery by Georgia Roessler at pbase.com

Old 01-04-2011, 02:28 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,025,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What happened to "Being British":>))
Anyone can be British, well almost. British is an indeterminate term.
You can be Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, or maybe even Cornish, or from almost any part of the fallen British Empire, but I am English. So are those presenters on Top Gear, actually.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Anyone can be British, well almost. British is an indeterminate term.
You can be Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, or maybe even Cornish, or from almost any part of the fallen British Empire, but I am English. So are those presenters on Top Gear, actually.
Cornish?! Like the chicken, , LOL! LOL!

I'm a (MUTT). That's Scot, Irish, English, German and Cherokee Indian, with just hint of Danish (that's my sweet side). A MUTT!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM

40 posts, read 126,287 times
Maybe they saw the desperate look on your face and that scared them.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,367 times
I felt pretty uncomfortable in south-central L.A. and west L.A. near Crenshaw and M.L.K.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times
The US rural environs have been home to the downtrodden and just plain criminal class of people for some time. Cheap rent in old run down farmhouses and filthy apartments in rotting towns have been an invitation to those who are out of the TV type social mainstream. Coast to coast, this is the truth of our new social makeup in the outback. There is a small town on the Oregon north coast that has a reputation as a dumping ground for ex cons and other undesirables, it's never advertised as such but you can't help but notice that a majority of it's citizens look a little shady. This rural dumping by the states correctional institutions is a nationwide problem, it occurs simply because these small towns have no political voice to protest the power of the state. Another fact of the rural landscape is the fact that most of these places are characterized by their extractive resource economies, mining, timber, fishing, and all the peripheral business that supports these industries. They become industrial plantations, and like the old southern plantations they have what amounts to a captive work force. A lot of good folks are thrown in with the bad just as in the big cities demographic of the poor, it's kind of America's little secret.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
...it's kind of America's little secret.
Don't know how "secret" it is, but it is definitely underreported. The plight of rural poor was really driven home to the nation during the dust bowl, and again during documentaries regarding Appalachian poor in the '50s and '60s.

Personally, I'd use the word hidden more than secret. It's rarely seen. Even more rarely reported upon. And most people still seem to think that it is isolated in pockets usually thought of as being in the South and Appalachia.

Having spent most of my life in rural areas (and, having Oregon family and lived years in Oregon, I'm familiar not only with the town you've referenced--I think--and others) out west and down south, I've seen a lot of it. The inner cities have nothing on an average Indian reservation when it comes to poverty, but the inner cities have a greater population and are easier and more convenient for the news organizations to cover, so they do get the attention.

You mentioned that many rural areas were supported by extractive industries, and you're right. However, those communities have been delivered other blows over the years as regulations have restricted and in many cases stopped much of that extraction, thus even further harming the local rural economy. For instance, there are mills that have closed in Oregon over the last 30 years that survived the great depression. They have closed not because of lack of timber, but because of several related factors, one being added governmental restrictions upon logging.

At any rate, I'm not sure that the rural areas are any more a dumping ground for the downtrodden and criminal than many cities are, but it is more hidden.

Funny, I've also found many people assume what jertheber has posted about rural areas--poor, criminal, etc. Many people have been surprised to find out how much money can be found in many of those areas.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
The US rural environs have been home to the downtrodden and just plain criminal class of people for some time. Cheap rent in old run down farmhouses and filthy apartments in rotting towns have been an invitation to those who are out of the TV type social mainstream. Coast to coast, this is the truth of our new social makeup in the outback. There is a small town on the Oregon north coast that has a reputation as a dumping ground for ex cons and other undesirables, it's never advertised as such but you can't help but notice that a majority of it's citizens look a little shady. This rural dumping by the states correctional institutions is a nationwide problem, it occurs simply because these small towns have no political voice to protest the power of the state. Another fact of the rural landscape is the fact that most of these places are characterized by their extractive resource economies, mining, timber, fishing, and all the peripheral business that supports these industries. They become industrial plantations, and like the old southern plantations they have what amounts to a captive work force. A lot of good folks are thrown in with the bad just as in the big cities demographic of the poor, it's kind of America's little secret.
I will gladly inform the in-laws that they are part of a "just plain criminal class of people" for having moved back to rural parts of AL with their PhDs, remote jobs or retirement checks.

I am curious - what makes someone look a little shady? My with no makeup and painting clothes, Better Half with three days worth of growth and bibs, someone who has paid his price ... As we are always in need of labor - where do I find such an industrial plantation?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,205 times
One thing I'm going to have to find out...am I the criminal, or downtrodden?

Or both!?

My parents would just be ashamed. Wait, no they wouldn't...they must be criminal and/or downtrodden as well!

Maybe they'll just be proud of me for finally living down to their expectations.

Just did a quick interwebby search to see if my perceptions were off-base...they didn't seem to be. It appears that not only in sheer numbers, but per capita, urban crime is worse than rural, although rural crime has increased since 1985.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
One thing I'm going to have to find out...am I the criminal, or downtrodden?

Or both!?

My parents would just be ashamed. Wait, no they wouldn't...they must be criminal and/or downtrodden as well!

Maybe they'll just be proud of me for finally living down to their expectations.

Just did a quick interwebby search to see if my perceptions were off-base...they didn't seem to be. It appears that not only in sheer numbers, but per capita, urban crime is worse than rural, although rural crime has increased since 1985.
Maybe we can improve cash flow by guided tours of deer camps and back yard stills; gourmet cooking classes on squirell stew:>) One thing puzzles me - US consumers pay dearly for worn and torn designer jeans but mine are shabby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama