Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 AM

34 posts, read 140,511 times

Advertisements

Do homes in Northern Alabama have basements or are most on a slab? I LOVE my clothesline. I seem to be one of the few people who still use a clothesline. Do homes in this area use clotheslines. I'm sure just like up here, if you live in certain housing developments certain things are not allowed and clotheslines are one of them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
A lot of older homes are on rocks, with short piers on top of those, leading to the foundation frame. Basements are rare. Clotheslines are somewhat rare, but around. A lot depends on where you live.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:30 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Homes are on slabs AND crawl spaces AND basements and even rocks. Clotheslines...I'm right there with you! I don't have one, but use my deck as a clothesline! Our neighborhood says we can have them as long as they can't be seen from the street. You'd have to check with the neighborhood association, if there is one. Ah yes, I love the smell of sunshine- and air-dried clothes and sheets!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Basements..........

My research seems to show houses with no basement. When I say basement I mean a full cellar, ...not that I'm thinking people are dumb but differant parts of the county call things differant names (i.e. soda vs. pop....grinder vs. hogie vs. ???....projects vs.row houses) We've been looking in the Huntsville and surrounding towns. Are the areas that most houses have basements and areas that mostly are on slabs? Possibly we were looking in the areas where the houses are on slabs. One of the reasons why we figured houses were cheaper was due to the lack of basement and all the construction that goes along with one.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
If you're on higher ground, you might find houses with basements. Generally, the water table is fairly high in the Huntsville-Decatur area, plus our soil tends to be hard-packed clay. Slab construction is found in newer homes. But there are quite a few with crawl spaces.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:14 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Most of Birmingham sits on a granite plateau. Remember, we are on the last outcropping of the Appachians. You will find basements/daylight basements on steep lots.
My question - why do you need a basement?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Why a basement?

I've always had a basement and houses on slabs are very rare in this area.....mostly viewed as an undesirable house. It goes back to what you are used to. Change is good...no basement also means.........less junk!!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:09 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relo854 View Post
I've always had a basement and houses on slabs are very rare in this area.....mostly viewed as an undesirable house. It goes back to what you are used to. Change is good...no basement also means.........less junk!!
Depending on your lot you will have a slab or a crawl space. Personally I consider crawl spaces crawly. Not good for much.

You are right - basements tend to be related to The Great Void. It goes in but never comes out:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama