Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 PM

121 posts, read 299,482 times

Advertisements

So I've been watching this new reality show and its interesting. There is a group of country guys vs city guys trying to win this pretty girl over. Some of the country guys are from Birmingham, Mountain Brook and Franklin,TN(suburb of Nashville). My question is...... Do people from these cities consider themselves country?

I'm from a small farm town in NM and I don't consider places with lots of interstate traffic and interchanges, skyscrapers, large population and upper class suburbs country.......but do others in the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,491 times
That girl is not even from Alabama. I hate the show it makes it seem like everyone here wears cowboy hats. I have never even heard anybody here refer to themselves as a southern belle.Most people here live in suburban type areas.

I live in a small town. I don't consider B-Ham, Huntsville, Mobile etc to be "country". I hate when other people assume a city is country based on that state that it is located in. These cities are southern, not country.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,852,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time bro View Post
So I've been watching this new reality show and its interesting. There is a group of country guys vs city guys trying to win this pretty girl over. Some of the country guys are from Birmingham, Mountain Brook and Franklin,TN(suburb of Nashville). My question is...... Do people from these cities consider themselves country?

I'm from a small farm town in NM and I don't consider places with lots of interstate traffic and interchanges, skyscrapers, large population and upper class suburbs country.......but do others in the South?

i think "country" tends to refer more to a certain type of behavior / value system rather than geography. i mean would anyone consider raleigh, charlotte or atlanta country? i've met people hec even in places like cleveland, ohio who refer to themselves as country. although it is possible to be whats called a "redneck with money".

Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,852,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
That girl is not even from Alabama. I hate the show it makes it seem like everyone here wears cowboy hats. I have never even heard anybody here refer to themselves as a southern belle.Most people here live in suburban type areas.

I live in a small town. I don't consider B-Ham, Huntsville, Mobile etc to be "country". I hate when other people assume a city is country based on that state that it is located in. These cities are southern, not country.

according to the article i read she is actually from Cordova, TN a suburb of Memphis. Nothing says country like upper middle class. She does attend U of A though as a public relations major. A blonde female public relations major....how original.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:44 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,844,611 times
Unfortunately I suffered through an episode of this stupid show a couple of weeks ago because my wife wanted to watch. This show portrays people from Alabama as a bunch of country red necks. Who the hell in Alabama wears cowboy hats anyway? I do not know a single person in my area that wears a cowboy hat or cowboy boots for that matter. Of course, I don't associate in the red neck circles either. The image other parts of the country have of Alabama is already bad enough, do we have to have a show such as this making others think we actually dress and talk that way? Good grief, I will be glad when this goofy show gets canceled.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:30 PM

121 posts, read 299,482 times
Thanks for the input everyone. I spent a year in San Antonio and I noticed that some guys I knew would dress up as cowboys sometimes, I guess its a way to feel like the typical image of what TX is. Its more of a style instead of a lifestyle, that's what the guys from the tv show appear to be like.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Just read the responses in the Mobile forum.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,349,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
according to the article i read she is actually from Cordova, TN a suburb of Memphis. Nothing says country like upper middle class. She does attend U of A though as a public relations major. A blonde female public relations major....how original.

I'm not sure if your intention was to be funny, but I have to say, I got a great laugh from it. Because it's so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama