Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:49 AM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about retiring to Guntersville in the future. I love to fish, and was wondering how many other lakes are near town(other than Lake Guntersville)? I like to fish small lakes also. The atlas I have only shows the BIG lakes. Also, is there any other area in northern AL. that has lower humdity than Guntersville, with plenty of lakes to fish? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
If you get low response, try re-posting on the Huntsville forum.

I don't know too much myself, I'm new here. But I don't think the humidity would vary very much.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
There are a few smaller lakes in this area although the only one I know is Pine Lake. It is a subdivision in Arab. Pine Lake Club - Welcome. I know at one time there was an acre for sale right on the lake for around 32K. It is a private lake that does not allow big power boats IIRC.

There are a lot of ponds but I think those contain mostly catfish and are all private. Here is a list of some of the larger lakes in AL Alabama Lakes & Coastal Areas. During the drought of the last few years several of the lakes were down a lot. There are a lot of spots that are away from the main lake. It is a HUGE lake and I have never seen it really crowded around Guntersville.

I agree with Charles the humidity in G'ville is about the same as all of N. AL. Having lived in FL for many years, I don't find it as bad here. During the summer while it does get hot, high temps are usually late in the PM.

Check out valleymls.com. You can search for waterfront/lakes property there.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 AM

482 posts, read 2,417,695 times
We have had our retirement home in Guntersville for 2.5 years and we will be living there full time starting in December 2009. We are not big into fishing but we have a pontoon boat and are absolutely amazed every time we go out on the lake we find a new place to go, there are so many little coves and fingers that are almost like being in a separate lake. We drove to Scottsboro over thanksgiving to kill a rainy day and the trip there was just so many different places to put in and have new areas to explore, you will be just blown away at all the different places there are to explore on Lake Guntersville. There is another lake we pass on our way to Guntersville it is called Weis Lake, it also looks large, it is like an hour drive from Guntersville. We look forward to meeting you if you choose Guntersville for retirement!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks everybody. Where exactly is Weis Lake? An hour in which direction? Guntersville sounds great to me, we just haven't visited yet. Is it possible to fish year round in Guntersville? I read that the average high is about 50 degrees in January.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:26 PM

64 posts, read 234,229 times
Hi Jim Mac,

It is possible to fish year round in Guntersville. In fact, today the weather was in the high 40's low 50's and there were people fishing from their boats on the lake.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Weiss lake is about an hour S/SE of Guntersville. There is also Smith Lake near Cullman.

SammieS is right, you see ppl fishing nearly every day no matter the weather.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks. My main concern is the humidity in summer. The article I read about Guntersville stated it has "summers without high humidity", whatever that means. Are there condos or town homes near the lake, for less maintenance, etc?

Old 12-17-2008, 05:39 AM

I don't know of any that are right on the lake but you can search using Valleymls.com. There is one that has a lake view although it may only have a lake view in the winter.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:49 AM

64 posts, read 234,229 times
Lighthouse Pointe is a condo complex on the lake in Guntersville. It is brand new. I think there is another condo complex there too but cannot remember the name. As Keeper said valleymls should have the info.
As for the humidity, I think you will have to visit in summer to find out if it is too much humidity for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama