Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Resident expert on Northwest Alabama, live in Ohio with excellent school system, kids excel, parent involvement, passionate teachers, breed success, church folks, religious people, established residences

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:46 PM

18 posts, read 62,945 times

Advertisements

I think I saw on another thread that you are the resident "expert" on NW Alabama. I am fortunate in that my employer will let me live anywhere I want since I am a travelling salesman. I have 3 school-age children - "decent" acadmeically and "average" to "below average" when it comes to sports (tennis, wrestling, volleyball, track & football). They are, of course, my #1 concern.

We live in Ohio right now - just outside Cleveland in an excellent school system that always ranks as one of Ohio's best and is usually in the top 100 for the U.S.

I think the reason that the school does so well and the kids excel is a combination of parent involvement, passionate teachers and "success breeding success". I would like to believe that holds true in Ohio as well as in Alabama. I think I would prefer a slightly smaller school (150 to 250 kids per grade) in the hopes that my kids would not get lost in the shuffle and would have a fighting chance of making friends. I would hope that the kids would not hold it against them being Yankees and all. Kids can be cruel but I also believe kids can be very kind and welcoming - - which would make a world of difference for my 3 - obviously. I think you said your wife was teacher - - I would be interested in her feedback on some of the school systems I list below.

Since one is in high school and one is in junior high there is a very real chance that we will still be in Alabama when it comes time for college. I don't know much about UA or Auburn or UAB but they strike me as well respected schools - - in my opinion, education in general has a lot to do with what YOU put into it. Paying in-state tuition for my kids to go to Auburn does not sound too bad to me at all.

With all that being said - - can you compare & contrast a few cities/areas in the NW quadrant for me? I would like to learn more about Athens, Florence, Madison & possibly Rogersville. Is there a "desirable" area of NW Huntsville for that matter?

Also, your two cents on Tuscaloosa would be appreciated.

Ideally, I need to stay "relatively" close to Mississippi since a lot of my business will be over there.

Others - - feel free to chime in. In general, I'm looking for a safe place with good schools with either some arts/culture on hand or very near by. We like to eat out once or twice a month but prefer local places with good cooking over fast-food establishments.

My wife and I do not like the big new fancy developments with the "LOOK-AT-ME" homes in them....we prefer more established residences with mature trees and landscapes - - any type of water access we believe would be a bonus. I'm not "rich" but I can probably swing something in the $300-$375k range.

Thanks to all - great forum with diverse views & opinions.

I really think this Bama thing may become a reality for me and my family & I'm looking forward to it!!

-scd0903

p.s. We are not "church folks" - - how much of a hole will that put us in and what advice would you give us in dealing with those that are "church folks"??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 06:52 AM

346 posts, read 1,778,854 times
We are not "church folks" as you put it.

A former coworker of mine relocated from Columbus, OH. She complained through the two years she spent in Birmingham. Now she wants to re-relocate from Cincinnati :>)

A friend of mine imported her husband and his kids from Dayton, OH. they visit there but AL is home.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:04 AM

Smile Two Step - Clarify Please

Thanks for the feedback - -

I want to make sure that I understand. She moved from Columbus to Bham - did not care for it - returned to Cincy and now she wants to move back to Northern Alabama after spending some time in Cincy? What an interesting path.

I think Bham is out of the question - I really need to gather info./opinions on western Huntsville but more likely Athens & Florence.

Can you tell me anything about Athens or Florence - - the more north & the more west in the state it is.....the easier I will be able to sell my company on it.

Thanks 2 Step - - are you a dancer?

-scd09093

Old 02-02-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scd0903 View Post
Thanks for the feedback - -

I want to make sure that I understand. She moved from Columbus to Bham - did not care for it - returned to Cincy and now she wants to move back to Northern Alabama after spending some time in Cincy? What an interesting path.

I think Bham is out of the question - I really need to gather info./opinions on western Huntsville but more likely Athens & Florence.

Can you tell me anything about Athens or Florence - - the more north & the more west in the state it is.....the easier I will be able to sell my company on it.

Thanks 2 Step - - are you a dancer?

-scd09093
No, my furry worker is :>) and she is very good at it.

On a serious note - what do you need to make the "sale" and why do you want to make it?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 AM

Smile Two Step - -

I may have confused you - I probably did. When I mention "selling my company" - - the context that I'm talking about is this == I need to sell the paper-pushers at my corporate HQ on the idea of me living in NW Alabama. I am a salesman and the area that I have to cover is LA./MS./AR. - - none of which particularly appeal to my wife. My employer said that I could live in Memphis - - after reading the boards and passing through Memphis once or twice, I was not real impressed. So that combined with the idea of NW Alabama is my new "angle". If Memphis is OK - - would Athens, AL. be equally OK? I hope the HQ would say yes to that. That is the question. It is kind of "odd" to live outside of your given sales territory but for me they might make an exception.

I like what I read about Madison and Athens and Decatur and Florence - - I would like to think that we could find what we want in that area.

Where are you presently and what's your background? Are you a native or an import?

Take care ~

-scd0903

Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I may have confused you - I probably did. When I mention "selling my company" - - the context that I'm talking about is this == I need to sell the paper-pushers at my corporate HQ on the idea of me living in NW Alabama. I am a salesman and the area that I have to cover is LA./MS./AR. - - none of which particularly appeal to my wife. My employer said that I could live in Memphis - - after reading the boards and passing through Memphis once or twice, I was not real impressed. So that combined with the idea of NW Alabama is my new "angle". If Memphis is OK - - would Athens, AL. be equally OK? I hope the HQ would say yes to that. That is the question. It is kind of "odd" to live outside of your given sales territory but for me they might make an exception.

I like what I read about Madison and Athens and Decatur and Florence - - I would like to think that we could find what we want in that area.

Where are you presently and what's your background? Are you a native or an import?

Take care ~

-scd0903
No you did not confuse me. How are you going to sell this unusaul concept to your bean counters? If a direct question is too personal - what industry are you in?

I need some "poluted air" :>). Birmingham offers suburbs with all the quiet lifestyle you can ask for and you can be downtown in 30 minutes.

Why is your wife not overly sold on it?

Total import - overseas not just above the Mason-Dixon and lived from WA to AL; banking/recruiting.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:54 AM

17 posts, read 85,999 times
Default Florence

I can tell you that Florence offers several of the things you are looking for. It's close to Mississippi, close to the water, and has good schools and a safe environment for your children. It's a beautiful area, and while there are some very nice subdivisions with homes in the price range you mentioned, more of the "trophy homes" are on the lake ($500K and up).

I grew up in Florence, lived away in Chattanooga for about 13 years, and then moved back here to "settle down." I can't think of anywhere I'd rather live. We are within a 2-hr drive of Nashville or Birmingham, and about an hour west of Huntsville, so we have the best of both worlds. Florence is a relatively small town, but close enough to anything you could want in a larger city.

Hope this is helpful. I'm not an expert on much of anything, but I do love my hometown.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Quote:
p.s. We are not "church folks" - - how much of a hole will that put us in and what advice would you give us in dealing with those that are "church folks"??
Well, you can get by avoiding church, but you and your family are really missing out. Church is a big part of life in Alabama. Lots of youth activities there. Lots of support for the adults. A person here is often defined by where they live and where they go to church...maybe that's not fair, but that's the way it is. You might want to visit some churches before you decide it's not for you. And in north Alabama, $300,000 will buy you a pretty big house. But like many places, you may or may not know your neighbors. So church provides friendships and support when you're sick or need a hand.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Well, you can get by avoiding church, but you and your family are really missing out. Church is a big part of life in Alabama. Lots of youth activities there. Lots of support for the adults. A person here is often defined by where they live and where they go to church...maybe that's not fair, but that's the way it is. You might want to visit some churches before you decide it's not for you. And in north Alabama, $300,000 will buy you a pretty big house. But like many places, you may or may not know your neighbors. So church provides friendships and support when you're sick or need a hand.

Thank you. You pointed this out perfectly - church is not just religion here. It offers social and family contacts and a lot of support.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 AM

889 posts, read 2,397,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
Thank you. You pointed this out perfectly - church is not just religion here. It offers social and family contacts and a lot of support.
But on the other hand (the devil's advocate...lol), I am a native Alabamian and have never been a regular church goer. I can probably count on my two hands the number of times I've been to church in my 34 years. Nor has anyone ever pressured me to or turned their nose up at me for not attending. The perception that you are somehow required to go to church if you live here is wrong. It's great if you do, fine if you don't.

But as for the REAL religion down here, I'm afraid you WILL have to choose Alabama or Auburn. You can bet you'll be asked about that 10 times as much as being asked where you go to church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama