Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 PM

69 posts, read 159,276 times

Advertisements

Hello! In my search for speech pathology programs, I came across UA and AU and am interested in applying as a second bachelors degree student at one or both. Both programs are ranked well, though it looks like Auburn costs more for an out of state student (I am from California). I already submitted an application and have been admitted at the University of Alabama and am flying out to visit during Memorial Day weekend. I am very excited to check out Birmingham and Tuscaloosa and eat as much southern food as I can!

I originally only applied to UA because I figured Tuscaloosa was a city that had plenty to offer and would provide the least amount of culture shock. Auburn, from what I've read, seems more rural and contains mostly undergrad aged students and families (I am in my mid-20s and will be applying for grad programs). I'm worried that it will be a more difficult adjustment, especially since I am coming from the Bay Area. I do like the fact that it is closer to Georgia, and the toilet paper tree tradition sounds fun!

It looks like it's about 3 hours to drive from Tuscaloosa to Auburn, and I'll try to fit it in, but I'm flying in Saturday and flying out Tuesday, so I'm not sure if it's worth a 6 hour round trip drive.

I'm trying to decide whether to apply to AU or not. Since I have transcripts from 6 different schools, it costs a lot to apply!! Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Are you looking for the best program with the best networking opportunitites for your 30+ years of (hopefully) gainful employment or the better food?

Old 05-12-2012, 03:04 PM

309 posts, read 718,079 times
Well, I guess you can't go wrong with either, but Tuscaloosa is a larger city with more internship opportunities in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:02 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Well, as an Auburn alumnus I have to put my vote in there. It is very much a college town, so everything revolves around the university which was an aspect I appreciated when I felt like grocery shopping at 1 AM or looking to the campus to provide entertainment. It's very safe and the town is very quaint and cute. UA fans take their loyalty much more...aggressively. You may get some crap for not being from the south and not being a tide fan, while I found AU to be more laid back.

You should try and visit both, see which one feels right to you.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM

69 posts, read 159,276 times
Thanks for the responses! Both programs have similar rankings, and all students are employed within a year of graduation, with most students having jobs lined up before graduation. I feel like Birmingham does have the advantage of having the medical center there, which would be nice for medical positions, but I have heard that the Auburn area has a better school system and most SLPs end up in the school system.

Good to know about the fan loyalty; it does seem that UA is more football frenzied!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM

309 posts, read 718,079 times
Good point about the schools. Auburn apparently has one of--if not "the"--best schools in the state.

Auburn has the fan base to claims to be one big family. I think that speaks for who takes loyalty more "aggressively."

Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Really, both schools are big into football are big rivals. Both have good and bad just like any place. You do have to choose tho it is either Roll Tide or War Eagle. Please note, I like both schools.

I would go for a visit and see which one feels like 'home' to you

Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
I'm in Alabama and am from the Bay as well. I have not been to either town a lot, but when it comes to football, really, both are in the same realm. In fact, much of the state basically assumes you keep track of these things.
I think both Unis will likely provide a good education though. I'm not sure either will provide less culture shock. The best advice for either would honestly to be adaptable, and hopefully a good experience will follow.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
As far as employment opportunities, Auburn is closer to Talladega, home of the Alabama School for the Deaf and Blind. Tuscaloosa is commuting distance to Birmingham, with all the medical facilities there and the largest population in the state.
As far as culture shock, you're going to get that no matter which town you choose. Keeper is right - a visit to both would be a very good idea.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
In Auburn you're two hours from Atlanta and Birmingham and depending on traffic 30 minutes to an hour from Columbus and Montgomery. I had some friends go through the audiology program at Auburn, and if the speech pathology program is anything similar by the time you get to the serious internships or whatever they're called you're basically off campus most of the time anyways. Plenty of people did that in Birmingham and just moved up there once they started.

In any event I wouldn't say Auburn is any more rural than Tuscaloosa. Tuscaloosa proper probably has a significantly larger population, but Auburn and Opelika have grown into one another. That combined with the large and growing population outside the city limits probably have them providing fairly similar offerings around their respective communities as far as shopping and that sort of thing goes. The Birmingham metro area is still bigger than that of Montgomery or Columbus, but if you want something like one of the big California cities Birmingham won't cut it. Atlanta probably won't either, but it is closer. The trip from Auburn to Atlanta is shorter and an easier drive than that from Tuscaloosa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama