Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM

32 posts, read 44,837 times

Advertisements

I've seen some comments about medical not being good in the area. Is this the general consensus? I'm moving to the area as a soon to be retiree and it would be nice to know I will be able to find good doctors and hospitals.
Thanks,
Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicliz View Post
I've seen some comments about medical not being good in the area. Is this the general consensus? I'm moving to the area as a soon to be retiree and it would be nice to know I will be able to find good doctors and hospitals.
Thanks,
Vicki
Thomas Hospital in Fairhope is a good hospital, considering its in a small town. The nearest hospital to Gulf Shores is South Baldwin Medical Center in Foley, but again, it's a small town hospital.

For anything serious you'll need to go to Mobile or Pensacola to the big hospitals.

Mobile Infirmary (Mobile)
Providence Hospital (Mobile)
West Florida Hospital (Pensacola)
Sacred Heart (Pensacola)

... all good hospitals

Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 AM

45 posts, read 161,239 times
Thomas is very good with some good docs.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
And the University of South Alabama, in Mobile, includes a College of Medicine.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:39 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Depends on what you are comparing it to. Considering the population, I would say Baldwin County's hospitals are definitely acceptable. Mobile has bigger hospitals though, and Sacred Heart in Pensacola is excellent (I know that from experience).

Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM

Oh thanks that's a relief. Are the docs open to a patient that likes to have some say about what pharmacuticals they are asked to take. I have a medical background and have had docs who are open to my questions and even suggestions while others egos were not able to handle a patient with a brain. Us baby boomers are more likely to seek reasons for a medical problem rather then treating the symptoms. Need a doc who can go with that.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicliz View Post
Oh thanks that's a relief. Are the docs open to a patient that likes to have some say about what pharmacuticals they are asked to take. I have a medical background and have had docs who are open to my questions and even suggestions while others egos were not able to handle a patient with a brain. Us baby boomers are more likely to seek reasons for a medical problem rather then treating the symptoms. Need a doc who can go with that.
Mine and my family's experience has been that the medical establishment in Florida is a little bit more progressive than it is in Alabama regarding patient input, and that should probably be expected. I'm sure there are exceptions on both sides though. You'd have to take it on a case-by-case basis.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 PM

That's funny Nancy. That's what I've heard but I've heard it is very pretty and we can hop on 10 and get to Mobile and Pencacola from there easily. Also Fairhope is only 15 minutes from Silverhill. Iv'e got my sights on Silverhill but need to get down there and explore.
Thanks Mike.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM

163 posts, read 297,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Mine and my family's experience has been that the medical establishment in Florida is a little bit more progressive than it is in Alabama regarding patient input, and that should probably be expected. I'm sure there are exceptions on both sides though. You'd have to take it on a case-by-case basis.
As a physician who is pretty familiar with the medical community in both states I would not agree with the above. If anything, Alabama as a whole is more progressive in all almost all aspects of the medical community than Florida.

Carpe

Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
I have to agree with Carpe.. I lived in FL for 30 years and I would not say the medical community was any better than it is here in small town AL. I have seen good and bad in both states.

I have a friend who had back surgery in Gadsden AL that was only performed in one other place and that was Taiwan, that had a 90% cure rate. His surgery was a success. He had been to doctors in several different states and most told him he would be lucky if he got any relief even after surgery.

I was impressed with the doctors that my mother and grandmother saw in Fairhope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama