Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 24,341 times

Advertisements

I live in Washington DC which is very crime infested, gang infested and the public schools are a tragedy. I honestly believe even Montgomery's worst would be an improvement on the conditions we are existing in now.

I am originaly from Florence, Alabama but there are no jobs or public transportation there. I am fed up with the high cost of living here in DC and the poor living conditions. I am a low paid Federal employee and am willing to throw my career here out the window in order to live somewhere that is at least halfway decent where I can raise my kids. We are not wealthy but a poor hard working family looking for a better place to live.

My kids were raised in Florence Alabama and have not fell prey to the gangs, the crime or violence here in DC because of their Christian background.

Where in Montgomery can I find cheap rental housing that's not in the middle of a brawling ghetto, which is where what we are in now in Washington DC? We need to find low rental housing in Montgomery. This is our all or nothing attempt at getting out of DC and re-establishing back in Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 01:38 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,656 times
Hi Happy:

Glad to hear you are coming back....

The nicest area of the Montgomery area is Prattville - across the Alabama River to the North on I-65.. It is one of the oldest towns in Alabama and has become one of its newest suburbs...therefore it still has its original town center and now has a lot of nice retail on the highways and good schools. These are also the best public schools in the Montogmery area.

Prattville, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Before looking anywhere else in Montgomery try your hardest to get a place in Prattville....I think you will be very glad you did...one of our employees lives there and his daughter is on an outstanding youth swim team....

Many of the managers from the new Hyundai plant live there too....

Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
If you need public transportation, make sure Prattville has it. Most suburban areas do not. No area in Alabama has much public transportation. A car is a necessity here.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:12 AM

28 posts, read 141,717 times
I have never lived in Montgomery but it is part of my territory for my job. I go there 1 to three times per month and go through the various neigborhoods and actively notice things in the neigborhoods because it is a beautiful city that retains a lot of its historic character. If I was serious about living in a smaller city than Bham (and decided I could deal with the summer humidity) I'd consider Montgomery.
The areas of the city that seem "ghetto" (i.e. boarded up buildings and houses, lots of trash, graphitti on buildings, etc) are relatively small as a percentage of the city. Based on looks, Capitol Heights and the surrounding area has lots neat yards and well taken care of older homes with great historic character. The area south of downtown that can be seen from the highway junction of I-65 and I-85 looks rough and underdeveloped.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:06 PM

32 posts, read 124,762 times
Default Montgomery

I lived in Montgomery for 2 years and moved to AZ recently for family reasons. Montgomery has many things to like. However, if you are looking for a crime free area, Montgomery is not it. Stay away from the South side and the West side. Crime is heavy in these areas. The east is the newer area and seems to be less crime prone. Pratville is a nice place 10 miles away from the government jobs in downtown Montgomery.

The one issue I have with Montgomery is that they are still in the Civil Rights era and will not turn loose of past grievances to allow their town to evolve. It is too bad that now the discrimination of Black against White reminds one of the White against Black of 50 years ago. This is especially prevalent among young Black kids. It is too bad because progress can not come until all discrimination is stopped in this town.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Have you consided transferring with your Federal job to Huntsville? BRAC is bringing thousands of jobs to HSV. There is no real public transportation but housing is cheaper than DC. Plus it's a lot closer to Florence.

BRAC To Huntsville Alabama

I've lived in WDC a couple of times. It's not very kid friendly (or adult friendly for that matter), but I did have some great experiences there.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:53 PM

58 posts, read 192,807 times
I think you would be in luck here with a rental. There are tons of rental properties b/c of the military base - people come here, buy a house, leave, and rent it out. As for affordable places - I think there are several areas that are not considered "ghetto." Cloverdale area of dwntn, E Mtgmy, Prattville, Millbrook. An above poster mentioned this, but I would veer away from South/West Mtgmy. As with all cities, they all have areas of crime and even in the best cities, the possibility of getting mixed up in the wrong crowd. I believe that employment is ample here with an opportunity for most people who really want to work. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM

116 posts, read 524,821 times
I wouldn't put a lot of effort into living in Montgomery, you'd better off going to Prattville, Millbrook and towns around it or the area around Wetumpka. I live out from Wetumpka and drive in, takes me about 20 minutes.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 23,763 times
i am originally from maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
I live in Washington DC which is very crime infested, gang infested and the public schools are a tragedy. I honestly believe even Montgomery's worst would be an improvement on the conditions we are existing in now.

I am originaly from Florence, Alabama but there are no jobs or public transportation there. I am fed up with the high cost of living here in DC and the poor living conditions. I am a low paid Federal employee and am willing to throw my career here out the window in order to live somewhere that is at least halfway decent where I can raise my kids. We are not wealthy but a poor hard working family looking for a better place to live.

My kids were raised in Florence Alabama and have not fell prey to the gangs, the crime or violence here in DC because of their Christian background.

Where in Montgomery can I find cheap rental housing that's not in the middle of a brawling ghetto, which is where what we are in now in Washington DC? We need to find low rental housing in Montgomery. This is our all or nothing attempt at getting out of DC and re-establishing back in Alabama.
so how long have you lived in DC

Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 30,796 times
Chekc out my blog, <A HREF="http://threeriversrecon.com/">Three Rivers Recon</A>. I write it for relocators to the Montgomery area (Montgomery, Prattville, Pike Road, etc.) who need to know more about neighborhoods, schools, and activities here. If you have a question I have not answered in a post, let me know and I'll do my best to find the answer for you.

Like someone already said, because of the military presence in Montgomery, there is a lot to rent here in the River Region. If school-age kids are a factor, then find a school first and let that choice determine where you rent.

Three Rivers Recon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama