Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 AM

6 posts, read 45,224 times

Advertisements

I moved here 2 years ago from Virginia, it has been a CULTURE shock and has taken me some time to get used to the weather, people, attitudes, amoung other things. EVERYTHING is so differant. I ofen say I feel like I am living in the twilight zone. But I married a man from here and he has made it all worth it. But it is "A GOOD OLE BOYS TOWN" trust me on that one... good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 07:04 AM

52 posts, read 329,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintswithcolorsofthewind View Post
it has been a CULTURE shock and has taken me some time to get used to the weather, people, attitudes, amoung other things. EVERYTHING is so differant. I ofen say I feel like I am living in the twilight zone.
To say the least it has been a real CULTURE SHOCK for us here, we have been here (Slocomb) since July of last year, I call this place out here OpieVille it is the other side of the tracks from Mayberry But we are slowly getting used to it, our realitor stuck us out here in OpieVille because we wanted some privicy and we got it, we got a brand new home next to us that has not sold yet, maybe a while, but you were right when you said "EVERYTHING is so differant" - the hardest part is trying to make new friends, and being out here we have to go to town, but still no good places to go - Dothan is growing, think it you went out to eat every Fri & Sat night for a year you would not have hit everyplace there is to go eat.

But it is different!!! coming here the biggest thing is you need to strip your gears and slow the pace down, no one is in a hurry around here, and to wait two hours for a Dr Appointment is not uncommon..........

Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 15,852 times
Hello! I would highly recommend moving to Dothan. I have lived in the area all of my life but only in Dothan for a couple of years. I love it! Sadly I will be moving soon b/c of my husband's job. It is a great family oriented place and it is growing like crazy! I would look for housing on the west or north side of town. The south side is kind of slummy in some parts. We live in the garden district and I could not ask for more. Everyone is friendly and it is safe.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:08 AM

8 posts, read 37,813 times
I to have been transplanted here. Been here since 1992. U have 2 know someone b4 u get a job. A decent one that is. I am orig from NW. Ready 2 move on.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 31,148 times
Sure, Florida has no state income tax, (never heard of a 'city tax') but if you plan on buying a home, you could see your real estate taxes quadruple compared to what the current owner pays. And before you think about Florida figure out what homeowner's insurance is gonna cost you. We recently bought a home in the Clearwater area, (for less than 200k) and will pay 2 grand a year for a modest home insurance policy, with no flood insurance as the home is not in a FEMA flood zone.
The seller paid $805 a year in real estate taxes, we'll pay $3300; $2400 homesteaded.
$400 a year for termite bonding, etc., etc.
We moved from Minnesota, one of the most heavily taxed state in the nation - and even saving 3 thousand a year by not paying MN income tax, it's a wash dollar wise as Florida is VERY expensive.
All this foolishness about states that have no income tax is just that. The states considered 'tax havens' have to pay their bills, too, and they are going to get you one way or another.
Dothan is a MUCH less expensive place to live than anyplace I can think of in Florida, and it's a very nice little city to boot. My wife just can't ride her Schwinn to the beach!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,708 times
Cool Living Near Dothan

Born and raised about 10 miles east of Dothan--lovely, quiet, rural, yet Dothan is close by, so is Panama City Beach, Lake Eufaula, Lake Seminole, Chatachoochee River.

My family still lives on the family farm. My brother raises cattle, row crops, and provides farm related services to other area farmers. He would like to cut his operation back, so is willing to part with some of his acreage. If anyone is interested in moving to the "country", think about Ashford, Alabama.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 22,822 times
getting ready to move to Dothan from ft lauderdale I agree in these times now it is hard to get ahead in Fl .. Dothan may be smaller and all but hey at least you wont drown and as far as Fl weather yes it is nice but hey anyone can adjust besides u live in your house not outside like a homeless person where the weather matters right? and u can always drive an hour to panama city to go to the beach if u need a Fl fix

Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,312 times
I want a quiet place to live and raise my children.I am a LPN and my husband is disabled.We have never been much on the night life anyway because we have kids that range in age from 19 to4.I want to move to Dothan Alabama.Its close to the beach but far enough away so the hurricanes can't get us.Will it be hard for me to get a job? Will my kids have a chance in life if we move there?We are moving from Tennessee.There is nothing here.Someone please tell me if Dothan is the best decision !!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:18 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Well, I don't think it would be much of a culture shock from TN. I just moved into this area from north AL and I don't see much of a difference in that respect.

Its hard to find a job anywhere these days, but your profession is relatively recession-proof and a growth industry.

I don't know your kids so I won't presume on their prospects

No one can guarantee that its the best decision. Gather your info, investigate all you can...and wherever you go, have faith.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 PM

8 posts, read 14,811 times
I grew up in Dothan, lived there 25+ years. And maybe I was blind to what it had to offer, but I see the area as *much* better for retirees than for families.
There's nothing cultural in The Wiregrass, really. And no interesting activities for children and teens. Plus, the schools in Alabama are not good. And the heat and bugs are horrendous.
I moved away five years ago. My family is still stuck with the heat and bugs, because we still live in Alabama. But we homeschool our youngest, and there are so many more opportunities for homeschooled children here than there were in Dothan.
Like I said, I understand that I may have taken the place for granted. But Dothan never seemed to have much to offer families.
It was pretty and green, and cheap. And Landmark Park is a beautiful and wonderful resource, so I can recommend that. And there are a *lot* of places to eat-out there, too - but only if you like chain restaurants.
Anyway, Dothan is a nice place for retirees. But not for families who want cultural enrichment, culinary diversity and a life full of learning. IMHO, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama