Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:58 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there's an old (Baptist, COC, AOG, insert religion here) joke that goes "why don't couples make love standing up? Because people might think they're dancing..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:14 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro100pk2 View Post
do you live in Alabama?
One thing you will find in AL is that some places are 'dry' while some cities are 'wet' the county can be dry. Really weird and you can not buy alcohol on Sunday in someplaces.
every county in the area that have that type of housing stock.
That was covered on the first page.

OP, if you ever return....I would suggest that if you will be in the Birmingham area, Gardendale would be a good place to check out. The northern suburbs are less populated that "over the mountain" and the Hoover area, thus traffic is not as bad. Schools are good, and it definitely has a small-town feel.
Remember that when you come to a small town, many residents already have long-established relationships with old family and friends. That sometimes makes it harder to make friends.
Don't freak out when someone invites you to their church. That is considered a polite and friendly thing to do. Indeed, in rural communities, churches provide one of the few social outlets. It's a great place to meet people as well as worship. When your child goes to school, you may strike up friendships with other kids' parents because you have the kids in common.

On schools....despite Alabama's reputation, many school systems are excellent. the state provides some funding, but many communities also tax themselves to provide extra money. This is especially true in the northern half of the state. Birmingham City Schools, however, are not on that list.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,601 times
Remember, alot of people in this state are ultra-religious, almost fanatical, if you are catholic, I wouldn't tell them. Not very forward thinking, and very conservative. The weather can be almost horrific in terms of sweltering heat and high humidity. The state is pretty backward period too. Not tolerant and quite bigotted, look at the folks running the state, extreme tea-party republicans. Been here 20 years from Lockport, NY, and leaving for Colorado. Good Luck, you will need it.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:16 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36830guy View Post
Remember, alot of people in this state are ultra-religious, almost fanatical, if you are catholic, I wouldn't tell them. Not very forward thinking, and very conservative. The weather can be almost horrific in terms of sweltering heat and high humidity. The state is pretty backward period too. Not tolerant and quite bigotted, look at the folks running the state, extreme tea-party republicans. Been here 20 years from Lockport, NY, and leaving for Colorado. Good Luck, you will need it.
Alabama is getting better every day.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:38 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:

I am not sure where you live but I live in NE AL in the bible belt. Mobile is very catholic arch diocese is there, Birmingham has some good catholic schools. Hanceville has the Shrine of the most Blessed Sacrament monestary in Cullman county in N. AL

Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament

I live in a small town with few catholics but no one I know cares. Drive 10 miles to Guntersville to find catholic church. Yes it is hot and humid in the summer for 3 months but then you have fall, winter and spring.

I do agree with you on the political state. Governor and the goverment itself is backwards, but that is my opinion and I am sure others have a different one. I learned a long time ago. Look for the good in where you live as the bad shows up soon enough

Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 18,164 times
Thank you for all of your replies. Being new to the site and not very good with technology I just realized there was more than one page :/ if I can ask a few more replies I would greatly appreciate it. I've done a bit more research and what I have found online (correct me if not entirely false) is that the best areas just outside of birmingham would be south east of the city. Is this correct ? A lot of it is based on opinion of others and best worst places to live combined with crime reports (truly a or Zillow gives reported incidences) also looking at real estate I figured any houses that had bars on the windows meant it probably wasn't a great area also someone in Ensley made a video for youtube about Avenue I and how he runs the place .... here in ny the lower the street number in our cities the worse the neighborhood. Is this also true around birmingham. I also found buffalo ny and birmingham both have the same livability score. I live just outside of buffalo. Not a place I'd hang out at night but fine during the day. My husband will make at least $40000 a year so I would say a comfortable rent would be $700. We would like to rent a house if possible. We would homeschool. I do not have a religion but I do believe faith is a very important part of someone's life. I'm pretty open minded and friendly a bit shy but not rude or mean. I'm not worries about the people just don't want to move to an area that has a bunch of drugs and violence. I'm trying to address everything that everyone said. I've been reading about precautions to take in the event of a torando. Everyone I have talked to says the heat and humidity are awful but the way I see it is here in western ny we have one nice season and three gloomy yucky seasons where as alabama has 3 gorgeous seasons and one very hot one. And lots of sunshine. I Figure the trade off is gloomy sunless seasons and bitter.cold for one humid hot season and tornadoes... I do tend to find and make the best in every situation and place. We are late 20s with a toddler a dog and two cats white not religious but all the people we know are and we fit just fine. Polite respectful and well if I'm being honest I guess some would say we were brought up very set in staying with people who look like us. (I don't know how to say that as I'm trying and failing to be pc) we are not hateful people but don't want to live in a place with bars on our windows and stereotypes on every corner. Sorry if I offend anyone. I do not mean to. Anyways I appreciate everyone's input. I'll continue researching and now that I know there's more than one page I can reply

Old 01-01-2016, 01:45 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey.gray269 View Post
Thank you for all of your replies. Being new to the site and not very good with technology I just realized there was more than one page :/ if I can ask a few more replies I would greatly appreciate it. I've done a bit more research and what I have found online (correct me if not entirely false) is that the best areas just outside of birmingham would be south east of the city. Is this correct ? A lot of it is based on opinion of others and best worst places to live combined with crime reports (truly a or Zillow gives reported incidences) also looking at real estate I figured any houses that had bars on the windows meant it probably wasn't a great area also someone in Ensley made a video for youtube about Avenue I and how he runs the place .... here in ny the lower the street number in our cities the worse the neighborhood. Is this also true around birmingham. I also found buffalo ny and birmingham both have the same livability score. I live just outside of buffalo. Not a place I'd hang out at night but fine during the day. My husband will make at least $40000 a year so I would say a comfortable rent would be $700. We would like to rent a house if possible. We would homeschool. I do not have a religion but I do believe faith is a very important part of someone's life. I'm pretty open minded and friendly a bit shy but not rude or mean. I'm not worries about the people just don't want to move to an area that has a bunch of drugs and violence. I'm trying to address everything that everyone said. I've been reading about precautions to take in the event of a torando. Everyone I have talked to says the heat and humidity are awful but the way I see it is here in western ny we have one nice season and three gloomy yucky seasons where as alabama has 3 gorgeous seasons and one very hot one. And lots of sunshine. I Figure the trade off is gloomy sunless seasons and bitter.cold for one humid hot season and tornadoes... I do tend to find and make the best in every situation and place. We are late 20s with a toddler a dog and two cats white not religious but all the people we know are and we fit just fine. Polite respectful and well if I'm being honest I guess some would say we were brought up very set in staying with people who look like us. (I don't know how to say that as I'm trying and failing to be pc) we are not hateful people but don't want to live in a place with bars on our windows and stereotypes on every corner. Sorry if I offend anyone. I do not mean to. Anyways I appreciate everyone's input. I'll continue researching and now that I know there's more than one page I can reply
You won't have any problems. Things are different, but that's life everywhere. As far as hot weather, just enjoy it. All of us folks down South have managed to live in the hot weather and its just not a problem. Much easier than snow up to your butt, every morning. Learn how to properly prepare grits and be happy.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:58 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
You cannot but it, not you can have it in your home. Then are 'no beer and wine on Sunday towns'. Laws govern hard spirits, and sold in government, state run ABC stores, which usually follow the city and town rules.

This has changed radically over the years and now there are way more wet places.

I do not drink, yet remember this well form the past. Today, you can get booze from nearby towns and it is legal to bring them into dry areas for personal use.

There is bad weather wherever you live; we have more tornadoes, and down where I live we have lots of floods. There are places less prone to some effects of weather than other places nearby. You have to look.

Birmingham today, is not all that much more conservative than upstate New York, but most of the south is more church going. It would, however, be more conservative for those who feel religious values impede on them.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
Remember, alot of people in this state are ultra-religious, almost fanatical, ............. Not very forward thinking, and very conservative.
And that's what I like about the South.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 12,817 times
Quote:
if you are catholic
Sorry, what's about orthodox church in AL? Do orthodox christians live in AL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama