Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM

23 posts, read 215,717 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing? Thinking about Huntsville...saw there was a unitarian church there. Is that an active community, or are they completely fringe for the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 07:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Default They exist

I'm pretty liberal (at least by Alabama standards). The most liberal part of Alabama that I know of is Southside Birmingham (mostly due to the presence of UAB and the "bohemian" nature that a lot of the less blighted inner-city areas around America take on)... as for examples of "liberalism," that area voted the first lesbian representative to the Alabama Legislature in the state's history and has head shops and dance clubs and stuff, plus lots of assorted weirdos.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 AM

114 posts, read 602,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Is there such a thing? Thinking about Huntsville...saw there was a unitarian church there. Is that an active community, or are they completely fringe for the area?
I can't tell you about the Unitarian church, but there are liberals in Huntsville. I am slightly liberal myself, and had no trouble meeting like-minded people while I lived in the Huntsville area. I met quite a few interesting people during one of the annual art tours that Huntsville has, where many area artists open up their studios to the public.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 12,775 times
There's actually a Unitarian Church in Birmingham, too. But outside the Southside/UAB area I haven't found too many fellow liberals.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:18 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I'll agree with the southside B'ham assessment, but you'll find traces all the way down the road to Hoover and Montevallo. In addition to the Unitarians, there is a Unity Church in Southside, and IIRC, a Reform Temple. Liberal isn't "in your face" in Alabama, but it does exist and is growing.

Back in the early 1980s, the only Birmingham bookstore that had anything outside of a highly censored mainstream offering was Loadstar in Southside. Even the chain bookstores had a horribly limited selection compared to any bookstore in the northeast. News is similar. The B'ham News was so dry, thin, and bad that I refused to even pick it up. I got an Atlanta paper for Sunday reading. It still amazes me that a newspaper can be that bad and still survive.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:45 PM
dac

4 posts, read 21,422 times
The Unitarian church is active. I actually know several people who attend there. I myself am a minarchist and a Christian agnostic. lol.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:33 PM

116 posts, read 622,337 times
Obviously, Alabama has some liberals, but I never really met them. I was aware of one guy who actually did not vote for Bush, others I knew to have voted Republicans or I expected that they would have. Political moderation is not a strong point. Of course, in other parts of the country, it swings the other way, underscoring the political polarity of the nation.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:47 PM

73 posts, read 434,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
The Unitarian church is active. I actually know several people who attend there. I myself am a minarchist and a Christian agnostic. lol.
A Christian Agnostic ?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 AM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
I live in Tuscaloosa and consider myself very liberal. My wife, myself and a handful of close friends are the only liberals I know of in the area. We also have a Unitarian church of about 100 members. Most of the folks there are liberal but very few are actually from the state of Alabama. I'd say maybe about 20 are from here. Most of the UU's here are professors or other faculty members at the University of Alabama. I'm an inactive member of this church. I've also attended the Birmingham Unity church that was mentioned earlier. This church is really a breath of fresh air. Very diverse, very tolerant and a very positive message.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:36 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,832 times
There are more than we like to admit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama