Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:34 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times

Advertisements

Wow, Mr. K7, lots of progress!! I love your lot -- mine isn't as big as yours but I too have a mini-forest for my backyard -- it's one of the biggest reasons I bought my current house!

I love these kinds of threads and wish you and Mrs. K7 all the best in your journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 07:23 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Default Dogs..and showers

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Wow, Mr. K7, lots of progress!! I love your lot -- mine isn't as big as yours but I too have a mini-forest for my backyard -- it's one of the biggest reasons I bought my current house!

I love these kinds of threads and wish you and Mrs. K7 all the best in your journey.
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

I’ve got to keep my buddy John off the speaker phone moving forward. When he called the other day, my wife & I were doing something and I needed my hands free.

He mentioned something about dogs, the red dirt and tracking mud into the house. <sigh> Next thing I know, MrsK7 has decided to remove the cabinet and sink in the laundry room and replace it with a small, “half” shower for our dog.

I laid it all out using blue painter’s tape with the correct dimensions so she could visualize it easier.

I think it’ll actually be more handy than a sink so it wasn’t a big deal...this time. We have enough leftover tile from a bathroom project that we’ll use there for this little project. Costs will be a wash. Easy decision. Happy wife/happy dog/happy life, lol

Old 03-07-2021, 05:32 PM

To everyone else, it’s a dirt pass cut through pine trees. To me, it’s our future driveway.

County approved the location and the location for the septic system. That’s the extent of “government” involvement in our house.

Gravel for the driveway goes in this week, foundation to be marked off for my approval in a few days.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:30 PM

653 posts, read 589,142 times
Congratulations.
If budget allows; go with an asphalt driveway; if not now soon in the future. I had an aunt & uncle with a gravel drive for the longest of time and they eventually improved the gravel foundation and had asphalt put into place.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Congratulations.
If budget allows; go with an asphalt driveway; if not now soon in the future. I had an aunt & uncle with a gravel drive for the longest of time and they eventually improved the gravel foundation and had asphalt put into place.
I hear you! That’s on “the list” along with a small workshop. Something like this:

That said, we want to see how things shake out on our budget versus the actuals before we go further with “the list”. Actually, simply getting packed, loaded, moved to the state in a few weeks, settled in at my aunt’s, and getting my wife comfortable with her work there will help tremendously.

I received my UHaul box order last week, unpacked it, verified the order was correct and organized everything today where I can easily get to whatever I need. Took our dining table apart also. I’ll pack the garage over the next few days. I think the house will be easy compared to it. We’ll donate stuff to Goodwill, purge a lot and pack the rest.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:58 AM

653 posts, read 589,142 times
I'm jealous of the workshop. I hope it can find its way on the list either during the build or shortly thereafter.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:27 PM

I was thinking the our truck won’t fit in the garage and I could use that as leverage to build the shop but, it appears that’s not the case.

Ok, I need a place to park a small tractor but....that hasn’t been approved by SWMBO yet either. I’ll come with something, somehow to justify it. After all, according to my aunt, the K7-family is known for buying land and building several extra buildings for barns, shops, etc. I can’t let her down, just wouldn’t be right.

For the record: grandfather: three outbuildings (you should have seen *his* shop!), aunt: three; father: three, but he lost one to fire. Lol

Old 04-05-2021, 09:03 PM

Finally got power on-site.
Foundation has been poured.
Well guys were there today to begin drilling.
Framing begins tomorrow.
Our household goods also arrive tomorrow and I’ve got two college students scheduled to meet me at noon tomorrow. We’ll out most of it in storage.
I’ll drive over tomorrow morning to get the UPack trailer unloaded with the boys and, I’ll see the site for the first time since Jan.

Maybe I’ll sleep tonight, maybe not.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:06 PM

Trailer didn’t show until 4 pm. Pushed the unloading until tomorrow morning.
The driller hit water at 500 ft. They must have started last week.
Lumber was sorted and headers built today. Walls go up tomorrow.

Seeing the foundation on the site was quite an emotional event. We’ve been planning this for a few years and every is falling into place. Our builder, God love him, extended our bedroom and bathroom by a foot to make up for the space lost by the safe room going in the master bedroom closet. That was appreciated!

All things considered, it was a great day. Parker is even getting into the country life. I helped my buddy put out a couple of hunting blinds and Parker got his first ride in a cart!

Old 04-08-2021, 09:43 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I love, love, love your lot -- and your dog! I am hoping to adopt a dog (or two) in retirement but they are hard to find up here in New England (our local Humane Societies "import" them from southern states).

You are making such progress! I am really enjoying this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama