Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 PM

9 posts, read 10,160 times

Advertisements

A mutt, huh?? I don't know whether to chuckle at that or be offended. I think both. Lol!
I didn't have a 'normal' upbringing, I guess. Religion was there, but my mother was busy raising 4 other sublings besides me and working so we didn't completely starve. My father was killed in a truck accident before I was born, so while my mother made sure she took me to Church every Sunday, I think she was seeking answers she couldn't find. Then she died and I was left to fend on my own. I'm certainly not opposed to joining a church family, but I do believe you probably have more choices of denomination than what I've grown up around. Luthern and Catholic churches are by far our most popular. Unless you include the 'new' churches. The 'Free' ones that tend to preach psychology about sins instead of standard theolgy.
And I do not intend to spend much of my time seeking out bars, I meant that in a way of socializing. That's pretty much the norm around here in my state.

As far as employment, I was hoping to be able to secure a full time position that was in a 8 to 10 dollar an hour wage, at least for a little while. Until I can aclimate myself to your state and learn more about it's charm. I however, am prepared to take what I can find and have some savings to make up the difference.
Again, thank you for the info!! I am enjoying the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:45 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Nah, don't bother to be offended. No offense at all meant, so you would be wasting your time. If anything, the variety of experience makes for strength and the ability to see beyond some of the dogma.

I'm sorry you lost your dad so early and your mom had to struggle to raise all of you, and then you had to take up that task.

I suspect you can find work wherever you land. Try to imagine where you want to be five years from now, and hold that as a goal.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Just make sure to avoid the Black Belt that runs across the center of the state. That area is very poor with not much hope of anything getting better.

The dark red counties shown here are the ones to avoid.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blac...aBlackBelt.png

Old 08-14-2019, 11:45 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
If you like working with cattle, Kentucky has the highest beef cattle production east of the Mississippi. I was just up there in June for a big sale of home contents and equipment off a family cattle and row crop farm. Several of my farmer cousins attended the sale, and all lamented the difficulty they had getting good help. We are all in our sixties, and they are ready to start cutting back on the their work load. Many of the farms there have old principal homes and a tenant house on them. Not luxurious, but adequate.

Many small towns/communities throughout Kentucky, but few with bars like you’re used to seeing throughout the Midwest. If you drive 10-15 miles though you’re likely to find one that will suit you.

I like the weather in Kentucky better than that in Alabama. Lower temps and humidity that make it more bearable in the summer and crisper feeling in the winter. I have lived here in Alabama for almost sixty years now, and tell people I am only visiting—Kentucky is my first love.

Feel free to private message me for more info if you are so inclined.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:28 PM

401 posts, read 558,149 times
I think all the towns that have been suggested are very nice. I'll just add one...Dothan.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:30 PM

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions and comments! I am still researching the south, and am trying to zoom into specific locations. This info is helping me chose wisely on the map.

As for the last comment of working cattle and choosing Kentucky. I am sad to say my manual labor days are done. I have a metal cage holding my back together and cannot jump fences, chase cattle, and jump into the trailers like I used to. Getting old truely sucks. Lol! I do appreciate the thought tho!
As for choosing Kentucky over the southern cousin of Alabama, I will keep that in mind. I drove truck for years, hauling frac tanks out of West Virginia down to Kansas, then cattle back to Nebraska. As well as hauled machinery all over the lower 48. Thus, I've seen quite a bit of the countryside, just never had much of a chance to enjoy or explore it. Been thru Kentucky, but what I have seen, it appears to be quite an expensive state.

And no, I don't drive truck anymore either. I did not renew my CDL last time, so I'm back to being a regular driver. Thus, the reason for looking into retail or clerical work.

Thank you again, I appreciate everyones input!

Old 08-14-2019, 01:18 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Above US 98 almost anywhere in Baldwin County is going to be more rural (and cheaper) than closer to the coast. Lots of friendly neighborhood/fraternal organization bars in these areas. May have to drive to coastal areas for retail work (and it may be seasonal) but the winters are usually wonderful. I worked construction in the Foley/Gulf Shores area back in the 1970s and only wore a jacket to work about 30 days out of the year. The six months of summer are less enjoyable unless you really enjoy the heat and humidity (and lots of people do).

Old 08-15-2019, 06:01 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
What about the Florence-Muscle Shoals-Sheffield area? Still small townish, but with more conveniences. Access to the Tennessee River. And if you do want to make road trips back to Nebraska, you're in the NW corner of the state and on the way back home. Florence has some Old South character that isn't all that common in the northern half of Alabama.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 PM

Thank you for that last consideration of the northwest side of the state. That was actually already being researched. Lol!

After researching jobs, health care, and housing, I think I've nsrrowed it down to the areas that were suggested on here: the Cullman area and the Sheffield area.

Is there anything I should know more about these area that can't be found online? Such as things to avoid? Any local customs?
I appreciate and enjoyed the feedback from everyone, and I'm rather excited about embarking on this move. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm brave or stupid just to pick up and move 800 miles away to avoid blizzards. Lol!

Thank you!

Old 08-16-2019, 08:58 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Cullman has more than average tornado issues, and in my observations of radar over the years, I note it having more storms in general. If you watch tv, it is a fringe area between the B'ham and Huntsville stations. Expect a drive to B'ham or Huntsville for any major medical issues.

Sheffield and Florence are like two parts of the same city. Florence seems a little more upscale. (South of the river had the railroads and heavy industry.) In a drive through the area, some of Sheffield gives the impression of a lot of homes of retired 1960s factory workers - small and older, but fairly neatly kept. Medical care is close, with Florence having a new hospital, but the only high level hospital in north AL is still Huntsville.

There are some threads by a forum member who moved to Florence that might be of use. (Can one of the group please point one or two of those out? I'm just squeezing in some time today.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama