Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 18,893 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

me and my friend are coming to alabama for a visit and I would like to have some questions answered concerning the alabama gun laws because me and my friend would like to practice shooting.

Me, 17years, German, Green Card, Social Sec Card, etc.
Him, 18years, German

Can he purchase a gun? Hes not American but 18.
Where can we shoot it? Can we shoot with someones rifle on his/her property?
Are there any places in Alabama (huntsville) where you can rent a gun and practice shooting at a shooting range?

what about air guns?

i hope you can help me with my questions. We do not intend any harm at all, we simply would like to practice.

Thanks in advance for all answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 PM

116 posts, read 524,878 times
I doubt that you will be able to purchase a firearm, surely not a pistol, as you are not 21 yet. You might be able to buy a shotgun or small caliber rifle under 18. I know I could when I was 16, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

Air guns are unregulated. The only papers you will need to buy those are the green ones with numbers and dead presidents (or other famour Americans) on them.

You should be able to shoot on anyone's property, as long as you have the owner's permission. You may run into a problem if you have to transport pistols, as they require a concealed carry permit to be carried in a car.

Best advice. Contact the sheriff's office in the county you are traveling to and ask them these questions. If you need help in figuring out who to talk to, let me know and I can help you find them.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 18,893 times
thanks for the answer.

well, were not interested in a pistol, so that wont be an issue.

my friend is 18. would he be able to pruchase a (small caliber) rifle? and would it be alright to transport that rifle in a car?
do you know any shooting places where the 2 of us might be able to practice? Can you rent a gun at these places?

thanks for your effort.

D.Z.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:16 PM

116 posts, read 524,878 times
You really should consult Alabama law enforcement.

For US citizens in Alabama it is legal to transport rifles and shotguns in vehicles and we do not need any permit to own or conceal any such weapon. I can't give you any further firm advice, as far as legal aliens are concerned.

I do not live in the Huntsville area and do not know about shooting clubs in the area.

I Googled this. It is a list of shooting clubs in Alabama as of 2007.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/huntin...0Directory.pdf

Huntsville is in Madison County. Contact the people there. If they cannot accomodate you, I am sure that they can point you to someone who can.

Madison County Sheriff's Office <---Contact them concerning gun laws
Madison County Alabama Sheriff's Department

Alabama Attorney General <----or this office
State of Alabama Attorney General's Office

Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM

17 posts, read 75,550 times
The police are really nice when it comes to this. They would rather spend time talking to you about it than arresting you. It saves them paperwork, basically. Any police office here should have some pamphlets regarding weapons laws in Alabama.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,862,208 times
US gun laws for non-citizens

Not an official site, but a good guideline nonetheless.

It looks like you cannot buy one.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,133 times
Larry's Pistol & Pawn on North Memorial Parkway in Huntsville has a 25-yard indoor range which will accomodate low velocity rimfire cartridges from rifles; e.g., 22 Long Rifle. Whether they have loaner rifles is a question you need to explore with them. Permanent Resident Aliens can normally purchase and possess long arms in the United States, but checking with the local authorities and giving Larry's advance notice will almost certainly make the process go more smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama