Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 01:54 PM

13,682 posts, read 7,996,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So, you don't feel an obligation not to endanger others?
Sure I do. I don't endanger others.

I don't go out when I'm sick. I cover my mouth/nose when I sneeze or cough. I practice good hygiene. I don't invade other peoples' space. I drive safely and soberly.

Why would you believe otherwise about me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 02:11 PM

13,682 posts, read 7,996,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
...this infectious and deadly disease?
Did you phrase your question this way in order to try to scare us?

There are hundreds of "infectious and deadly" diseases including the flu, but I'd be willing to bet you never advocated for masking during flu season...

What's so special about covid that we have to fundamentally re-order society and alter centuries-old societal norms because of it?

Old 04-09-2021, 03:19 PM

11,876 posts, read 5,847,794 times
I'm from NY and plan on moving to Alabama. Right now - despite the lock down and masks mandated - we had 7,840 New cases yesterday compared to Alabama's 318 new cases.

Michigan, California, Pennsylvania and New Jersey are still experiencing larger numbers of new cases and we've all been locked down, had restrictions placed on us and wear masks.

I can almost bet that there will be more sickness this next year because are immune systems will be compromised because we've been masked.

For now we know the vaccine is at least good for 6 months as that is as long as they've been following the test group. Fauci said it may last years but this was before the mutated strains began occurring and researchers now believe that we will need a booster at least once a year if not sooner.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:35 PM

561 posts, read 1,514,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Alabama mask mandate will end after April 9.

I've read that Madison County and the city of Huntsville will also end the mandate in line with the state. I believe the city of Madison will follow suite. Also read that Birmingham will be voting on April 6 on their stance. I have not noticed any other city or county notices but I suspect they're out there.

From what I understand; business can choose whether or not to either request masks be worn or require masks be worn. Some large retailers have reported per al.com that they will leave orders requiring facial coverings in place. Suggested signage: “Mask Preferred” or “Mask Required For Service”.

To me, I would think confusion, chaos, and 'fights' will ensue given the allowance for governments and businesses within the state will be allowed to set their own rules. From a business point of view; I guess it would be much like the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" type of rule.

1. In the event you live in an area that doesn't require a mask, will you continue to wear a mask?

2. Does your masking decision depend on your vaccination status?

My reply:

1. Haven't worn a mask in weeks, so no.

2. Will not get the poison jab!

I've done my research, and since I am not a sheep I won't participate further in this "designer pandemic!"

Old 04-09-2021, 04:01 PM

842 posts, read 830,987 times
I will still wear a mask in public places when I'm potentially around those who may not have been able to get vaccinated yet. I will say that if I'm in a public establishment, and no one else is wearing a mask, then I probably won't either. I've had Covid and am fully vaccinated and have minimal concern about contracting the infection again. If the other people aren't wearing a mask (even if unvaccinated) and aren't concerned that I'm a carrier, then hey, that's on them...

Old 04-09-2021, 04:08 PM

842 posts, read 830,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'm from NY and plan on moving to Alabama. Right now - despite the lock down and masks mandated - we had 7,840 New cases yesterday compared to Alabama's 318 new cases.

Michigan, California, Pennsylvania and New Jersey are still experiencing larger numbers of new cases and we've all been locked down, had restrictions placed on us and wear masks.
Well, remember the concept of flattening the curve? States with stricter mandates came closer to doing that than states where things weren't taken as seriously. Flattening didn't mean zero cases; instead, it meant slowing down the spread of the virus to allow time for the healthcare system to respond, better treatments to be developed, and vaccines to be created. Stricter states have extended out their cases; whereas, in places like Alabama, it rampaged through the population and lots of us are immune already. I think a lot more testing happens in NY, NJ, etc. than in Alabama, which also makes the case numbers look more dramatic.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:11 PM

136 posts, read 117,600 times
I got my second shot the other day, so after a couple weeks when my immunity is charged up, I probably won’t wear a mask unless (1) the business/place I’m in still requires it, or (2) the people
I’m around feel uncomfortable not masked up.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,250,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Is it, now? Seems to me that people dying from something that could have likely been prevented given the proper mask wearing and distancing is an emergency. Hell, Alabama basketball super fan Luke Ratliff (Fluffapotamous) died after contracting it watching Bama in Indy. He would likely be alive had he either stayed at home, or been more careful (or those around him had been more careful).

Wearing a mask is such a SIMPLE thing to do, that I just don't understand everyone's reluctance. You are literally willing to kill my grandparents just to not be inconvenienced for a few minutes in a store.... It is pathetically childish and selfish. Even if they are only 1% effective, that is 1% less (per person) chance of catching it or spreading it. Why is that so hard for the ignorant people of the US? You call other people idiots, while not even caring if you spread this to someone who later dies, all because you didn't want to wear a mask. Freedom and all, you know.... How friggin pathetic.
aren’t your grandparents vaccinated by now?

Old 04-10-2021, 03:14 AM

44 posts, read 80,631 times
hey, wear one, or not wear one, there are no mask police, right?

Old 04-10-2021, 04:31 AM

2,725 posts, read 2,231,023 times
I am in Arkansas which has previously removed the mask mandate. Some of the towns/cities still require them. The big national stores still require them, but depending on how many people are in them I take my mask on and off. I was told I could take my mask off if I wanted to, but the employees were required to wear them. Being I just moved to Arkansas and bought a new home my wife and I are furniture hunting. She wears her mask more than I do being they give me a headache and gives me a sore throat. The smaller stores are not requiring them and the local gun show had a sign up requiring a mask, but hardly anyone was wearing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama