Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 10:53 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,890,962 times

Advertisements

The vaccine is only effective for 8 to 10 months

Link please. Absolutely no official info says this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 11:57 AM

458 posts, read 618,417 times
There are three branches of government. If the legislature does not like what the governor is doing they can override her. If the courts do not like what the governor is doing they can strike the mandate down. Neither has happened. Therefore, the mask order is the law.

I fear for the future where parents are teaching their children that it's okay to disobey a law because it's inconvenient or because they personally feel the law is unconstitutional. Especially over something silly like wearing a mask.

And all this anti-mask sentiment occurring in "Christian" states like Alabama. I don't remember reading in the Bible where Jesus said we are all subject to governing authorities except when a governor issues a mask order.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:25 PM

13,682 posts, read 7,996,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTails View Post
There are three branches of government. If the legislature does not like what the governor is doing they can override her. If the courts do not like what the governor is doing they can strike the mandate down. Neither has happened. Therefore, the mask order is the law.
Just because the legislature and Courts have failed in their duties to curb executive power, does not mean that a unilaterally issued edict is "law". I'd like to see them try to punish me civilly or criminally for not wearing a mask. It won't happen because they have no such authority, and they know it.

Quote:
I fear for the future where parents are teaching their children that it's okay to disobey a law because it's inconvenient or because they personally feel the law is unconstitutional. Especially over something silly like wearing a mask.
We don't refuse to mask because "it's inconvenient" or because of our personal feelings regarding its constitutionality.

Even you admit that wearing a mask is "silly", yet you continue to advocate for its use. Why?

Quote:
And all this anti-mask sentiment occurring in "Christian" states like Alabama. I don't remember reading in the Bible where Jesus said we are all subject to governing authorities except when a governor issues a mask order.
Do you believe that Jesus is God? Do you believe that he rose bodily from the dead? Do you believe that the teachings of the Bible are inspired by God and ought to be obeyed?

If you do, then we can have a discussion about his teachings.

If you don't, then kindly refrain from lecturing me about my religion and its teachings.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,227,742 times
So God is okay with you putting other lives at risk because you didn't want to wear a mask?

Old 04-07-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
So God is okay with you putting other lives at risk because you didn't want to wear a mask?
Your premise is flawed.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Your premise is flawed.

Then explain it to me. How is it okay for a Christian not to take steps to save lives when they know how to save said lives?

Old 04-07-2021, 01:32 PM

Better yet I wanna know why you refuse to wear a mask

Old 04-07-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Better yet I wanna know why you refuse to wear a mask
I will gladly explain my reasoning.

The most important reason I don't wear one is because the act is deceptive. It perpetuates the lie that we are in some kind of extraordinarily grave situation. Without that constant visual reminder (along with the 24/7 media bombardment/propaganda), nobody would have a clue that there is anything unusual going on (because there's not).

Before you start accusing me of being something I'm not, let me issue the disclaimer that I do believe that a novel coronavirus has been going around over the past 18-24 months. Thankfully, this bug has proven to be not particularly dangerous, especially for those under 60 and in otherwise decent health. For those over 60 or with pre-existing conditions, it makes sense to take some extra precautions. For the rest of us, it doesn't seem reasonable; though I fully support your right to stay home, social distance, and mask if that's what you want to do.

The second most important reason I don't wear one is because masking in this context is dehumanizing. Humans are social, communicative, and reflect the Imago Dei. Masking is a social barrier that encourages isolation, inhibits communication, and hides the Imago Dei.

The third most important reason I don't wear one is because there are countless masses of people out there who know that this is a farce, but don't like to make waves and just want to go along to get along. These people need to see others resisting the mask in order to be encouraged to resist, themselves. As a leader in my family and community, I feel a sense of obligation to set an example.

There are many other reasons, including the fact that masking does very little if anything to curb the spread of airborne viruses; but surely these reasons are enough.

Last edited by EscAlaMike; 04-07-2021 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 02:13 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,410,991 times
Quote:
I will gladly explain my reasoning.

The most important reason I don't wear one is because the act is deceptive. It perpetuates the lie that we are in some kind of extraordinarily grave situation. Without that constant visual reminder (along with the 24/7 media bombardment/propaganda), nobody would have a clue that there is anything unusual going on (because there's not).

Before you start accusing me of being something I'm not, let me issue the disclaimer that I do believe that a novel coronavirus has been going around over the past 18-24 months. Thankfully, this bug has proven to be not particularly dangerous, especially for those under 60 and in otherwise decent health. For those over 60 or with pre-existing conditions, it makes sense to take some extra precautions. For the rest of us, it doesn't seem reasonable; though I fully support your right to stay home, social distance, and mask if that's what you want to do.

The second most important reason I don't wear one is because masking in this context is dehumanizing. Humans are social, communicative, and reflect the Imago Dei. Masking is a social barrier that encourages isolation, inhibits communication, and hides the Imago Dei.

The third most important reason I don't wear one is because there are countless masses of people out there who know that this is a farce, but don't like to make waves and just want to go along to get along. These people need to see others resisting the mask in order to be encouraged to resist, themselves. As a leader in my family and community, I feel a sense of obligation to set an example.

There are many other reasons, including the fact that masking does very little if anything to curb the spread of airborne viruses; but surely these reasons are enough.
Failure of an argument, I'm afraid.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:04 PM

458 posts, read 618,417 times
Quote:
We don't refuse to mask because "it's inconvenient" or because of our personal feelings regarding its constitutionality.

Even you admit that wearing a mask is "silly", yet you continue to advocate for its use. Why?
Because the government issued a lawful order to do so and I have no moral objections to the order.

Quote:
Do you believe that Jesus is God? Do you believe that he rose bodily from the dead? Do you believe that the teachings of the Bible are inspired by God and ought to be obeyed?

If you do, then we can have a discussion about his teachings.

If you don't, then kindly refrain from lecturing me about my religion and its teachings.
I wasn't lecturing you or anybody in particular. I didn't even know you are a Christian. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy that I witness every Sunday when I see families going out to eat after church and not wearing masks. Families that are teaching children it's okay to disobey a law that's annoying. Families that are teaching children that Jesus was mistaken in telling us to respect authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama