Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 11:21 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Whatever you say. Shiva is a cruel master. I hope all the "unwinding" and "relaxation" was worth it when the payment comes due.

God sees you just as imperfect me, you and I will receive the same payment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What about music?

Should the kids not be allowed to play Bach because Bach wrote almost all of his music in support of his devout Catholicism and Protestants might be offended?

And we can't allow them to read the Iliad or Odyssey because they constantly refer to pagan gods and goddesses.

Art has been used in the service of religion as long as there's been art. Are we not allowed to view any art that depicts subjects that aren't Christian?

The Arabs invented algebra. Is that going to be a problem?

The Greek Olympics were dedicated to the gods. That's going to put quite a crimp on the track team, the wrestling team, discus, and shot put.

Exactly

Old 04-01-2021, 11:26 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What about music?

Should the kids not be allowed to play Bach because Bach wrote almost all of his music in support of his devout Catholicism and Protestants might be offended?

And we can't allow them to read the Iliad or Odyssey because they constantly refer to pagan gods and goddesses.

Art has been used in the service of religion as long as there's been art. Are we not allowed to view any art that depicts subjects that aren't Christian?

The Arabs invented algebra. Is that going to be a problem?

The Greek Olympics were dedicated to the gods. That's going to put quite a crimp on the track team, the wrestling team, discus, and shot put.
These things can all be objectively studied without engaging in spirituality or worship. Do you really not see the difference? - because the distinction is pretty obvious to me.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
These things can all be objectively studied without engaging in spirituality or worship. Do you really not see the difference? - because the distinction is pretty obvious to me.

That applies to Yoga. Like I said 99% of people do not know that it even has any relations with hinduism and more so do not relate it to yoga. You are the literally the first I've interacted with on the subject that actually believes it's a religious issue. You see people of many other religions do Yoga, Christians, Islams, Atheists, Buddists, they all do Yoga.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
That applies to Yoga. Like I said 99% of people do not know that it even has any relations with hinduism and more so do not relate it to yoga. You are the literally the first I've interacted with on the subject that actually believes it's a religious issue. You see people of many other religions do Yoga, Christians, Islams, Atheists, Buddists, they all do Yoga.
No it doesn't apply to yoga. Yoga can be objectively studied from the outside, sure; but to actually participate in it is a form of spirituality.

Widespread ignorance on the subject is no excuse.

Religious syncretism has always been fairly common.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
No it doesn't apply to yoga. Yoga can be objectively studied from the outside, sure; but to actually participate in it is a form of spirituality.

Widespread ignorance on the subject is no excuse.

Religious syncretism has always been fairly common.

Literally everything in school can be objectively studied outside of school.....
Yes its suppose to be spiritual, its meant for relaxation.... that's literally the entire point... is to relax....make yourself feel better.... Just because it is spiritual does not mean anything...
If its common, then what's the problem? If it does only good to the body and the mind... then whats the problem?

Old 04-01-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
.... Just because it is spiritual does not mean anything...
Herein lies the problem and the source of our disagreement.

Quote:
If it does only good to the body and the mind... then whats the problem?
Does it only do "only good to the body and the mind"? Are we sure about that? What about the soul?

Old 04-01-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Herein lies the problem and the source of our disagreement.

Does it only do "only good to the body and the mind"? Are we sure about that? What about the soul?

Well since the body and the mind is the soul then yes it would benefit the soul. Doing yoga doesn't make someone a non-Christian or whatever they are, it isn't gonna "taint" your soul

Old 04-01-2021, 12:42 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
I've really never understood the need for this 'control'. These are my questions:

1) Why not have a moment of silence at the beginning of school? Then students could meditate, pray, whatever they wanted?
2) Why not just teach the truth? Teach a yoga class, and be very clear of its origins and its physical benefits (I do a form of yoga, and I'm Christian, and it's just breathing and exercise for me).
3) Why not teach evolution, along with creationism, and whatever else, and let the students decide? Be very clear about what things are fact, theories, etc.

Etc. Etc. Etc., you could go on and on with these topics.

Back to the control part of it - it's obvious that many Christians (I say this as one) do not like having alternate schools of thought out there, I guess because it threatens their shallow belief. So they fight against to maintain control. I welcome it, knowing I can stand up for my theories with legitimate arguments. I try to read the Koran too, I enjoy knowledge, I want to know how they think. I wouldn't mind if schools taught a Muslim/Hindu class, as long as they taught the facts about it, rather than trying to influence people to BECOME Muslims/Hindus. Probably best to teach World Religions, then kids can decide for themselves.

Those who shun Christianity have the same issue. The public schools have a very pagan/human genesis, so
that's the reason why you see Christianity shunned there. Government and democracy have a Christian influence, that's why it's hard to eradicate it there. People just don't truly understand these things. They cry "separation of church and state", well, that's nearly impossible because state laws were formed by Christian concepts.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Do you really think, then, that all the professional and top amateur athletes all over the entire world who use yoga for strength, balance, and flexibility, are all becoming, against their will, indoctrinated with Hinduism?

I call BS on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama