Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 68,086 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would love to get some specific information on homeowner's insurance prices in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach along with some pros and con's of living there in general. I love the area and just want to cover all my bases before I move. I have noticed that there are quite a few foreclosures on residential homes in those two areas and was wondering if they are due to people not being able to get insurance?

Also, if I could get some opinions on the schools that would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 06:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Don't think we have any members who live directly in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, but if you look at the bottom of this page there are a few posts but the first one about a transfer has some info about HOI.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:31 PM

303 posts, read 1,386,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilyon View Post
Hello, I would love to get some specific information on homeowner's insurance prices in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach along with some pros and con's of living there in general. I love the area and just want to cover all my bases before I move. I have noticed that there are quite a few foreclosures on residential homes in those two areas and was wondering if they are due to people not being able to get insurance?

Also, if I could get some opinions on the schools that would be great.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know what type of work you do but make sure you fully realize it is a seasonal resort town. Period. No matter what any real estate agent tells you. Everything live and dies off that. It can be a very difficult place to live!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post
I don't know what type of work you do but make sure you fully realize it is a seasonal resort town. Period. No matter what any real estate agent tells you. Everything live and dies off that. It can be a very difficult place to live!

Thanks for your response. Do you currently live in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach? If not did you live there previously? Specifically, what types of problems did you encounter with it being a resort town? Why is it a difficult place to live?

thanks in advance!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilyon View Post
Thanks for your response. Do you currently live in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach? If not did you live there previously? Specifically, what types of problems did you encounter with it being a resort town? Why is it a difficult place to live?

thanks in advance!
Previously lived there. Like I said, everything there is about the "season." You will hear that saying to death! The residents wait all year long for that 3 months when it is busy, otherwise it is like a ghost town. I have family who owned local businesses and it was very tough. It is mainly the service industry. Most locals "tighten there belts" and don't spend much money during the winter. Most employers lay off employees as there is no longer the need from Labor Day to Memorial Day.

Have you been to the area? What line of work are you in or what are you interests? What type of lifestyle are you looking for?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
TRAFFIC is bad during the season too, especially on Fridays and Mondays.

Shihtzumom is right.. it would be hard to make it there, unless you have a job other than service industry.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-26-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Previously lived there. Like I said, everything there is about the "season." You will hear that saying to death! The residents wait all year long for that 3 months when it is busy, otherwise it is like a ghost town. I have family who owned local businesses and it was very tough. It is mainly the service industry. Most locals "tighten there belts" and don't spend much money during the winter. Most employers lay off employees as there is no longer the need from Labor Day to Memorial Day.

Have you been to the area? What line of work are you in or what are you interests? What type of lifestyle are you looking for?
Yes, I have family there and have visited a lot. My husband is a police officer and work from home in the IT industry, so our jobs are not at all dependent on the tourist season, which is good. I can see why running your own business would be tough there. Other than not, are there any drawbacks? I know it gets crowded and traffic is bad, but I don't mind that.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM

Where are you moving from? If I know that I can tell you other possible drawbacks. It is isolated. Most major medical facilities are going to be in Daphne, Mobile or Pensacola. Malls or airports; same thing. As I'm sure you realize there is an over abundance of condos. That does not do you a whole lot of good on a daily basis.

As your husband will find out there is a surprising amount of drug activity in the area. Alot of people wouldn't think that 'looking in from the outside'.

And of coarse the possibility of hurricanes. The area was a MESS after Ivan. Certain residental areas like Ono Island, Fort Morgan and West Beach are very hard to access. Those residents waited weeks and some months to return to there home. Of coarse most people view the biggest pro of the living at the beach as living on the beach but it is smarter and safer to live in a home off the beach.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Where are you moving from? If I know that I can tell you other possible drawbacks. It is isolated. Most major medical facilities are going to be in Daphne, Mobile or Pensacola. Malls or airports; same thing. As I'm sure you realize there is an over abundance of condos. That does not do you a whole lot of good on a daily basis.

As your husband will find out there is a surprising amount of drug activity in the area. Alot of people wouldn't think that 'looking in from the outside'.

And of coarse the possibility of hurricanes. The area was a MESS after Ivan. Certain residental areas like Ono Island, Fort Morgan and West Beach are very hard to access. Those residents waited weeks and some months to return to there home. Of coarse most people view the biggest pro of the living at the beach as living on the beach but it is smarter and safer to live in a home off the beach.

We would be coming from Birmingham. We are just tired of the "big" city life and all of the crime. We would definitely be looking for a house in a neighborhood well off of the beach - probably in Gulf Shores. We just want a slower pace of life. I imagine there are drugs there too, but it can't be as bad as where we are coming from. Our main concerns right now are hoi insurance and the school system.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Have you considered Foley or Robertsdale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama